Home made Ice cream - huge success!

Page 1 / 2
lillol, Oct 13, 7:30pm
I made my own ice cream yesterday and put tinned blackberries in it (minus the juice) and it was a big success - kids loved it. I can't believe how easy it is and it tastes better than brought ice cream. Next time I'm going to put chocolate in it - yummy!!!

timturtle, Oct 13, 8:06pm
Did you use an ice cream maker ?

lillol, Oct 13, 8:22pm
No, I used my hands and an old fashioned hand beater, better than a workout I reckon hahaha!

cookessentials, Oct 13, 8:27pm
Nothing like home made and it's all pure ingredients which is even better!

babytears, Oct 13, 8:37pm
lillol... would you post the recipe here please?

lillol, Oct 13, 8:42pm
The best ice cream recipe - so easy
ICE CREAM
Use 3 bowls
lst bowl 4 egg whites - Beat till stiff, add ¼ cup any sugar, beat again
2nd bowl 4 egg Yolks - Beat till frothy with another ¼ cup any sugar
3rd bowl Beat 300 ml Cream until fairly stiff
Put contents of bowl 1 and bowl 3 into bowl 2.
Fold in with metal spoon.
Pour into 2 litre ice cream box and freeze approx 6 hours.
No need to beat again
How easy is that!
My little grandchildren love to make it and we all love to eat it.
Even my stepson, a confirmed bachelor who never goes in the kitchen can make it.
You can add stuff to it just before freezing - tinned caramel - grated chocolate - dash of vanilla essence - but it is super as it is.

I added a can of blackberries that I bought for $2.00 at Countdown, drained most of the juice to have later with the ice cream. It was extremely yummy!

rkcroft, Oct 13, 8:59pm
really? you don't need to take it out and beat it again?It doesn't go icy?

lillol, Oct 13, 9:09pm
No, we had some last night and it was perfect! I just had another sample, purely for testing purposes hahaha, and it's not icy!

sue1955, Oct 13, 9:53pm
I've done this recipe for years - for some reason it was called "Suzy Aiken's Icecream" (she must have done it on some show sometime in the 80's). Try cutting up soft marshmellows & putting those in before freezing, they're nice. As is peppermint essence, green food colouring & chocolate chips.

rkcroft, Oct 13, 10:47pm
ooh, I'm gonna try it. Love the idea of marshmellows too.In fact, crushed up gingernuts and glace ginger would be nice or even meringues.I've just typed out the recipe now.thanks.

harrislucinda, Oct 14, 3:19am
i haveusedicingsugarforthisrecipestillworksout thesame

wildflower, Oct 14, 4:08am
I made lemon curd ice cream yesterday from cuisine.co.nz and it was lovely, the lemon curd was the best I've had too.Next time I might use some of the leftover egg whites to make meringues to go with it.

kay141, Oct 14, 4:20am
Does anybody have a recipe that does not use eggs? Several grandchildren are allergic to eggs.

wildflower, Oct 14, 4:41am
There's been a recipe posted on here before that is just condensed milk and cream I think.1 can to 500 or 600ml cream?Someone can probably confirm that.Then just chuck in whatever fruit etc that takes your fancy, choc chips etc.

tommydog, Oct 14, 6:57am
How long do you think it would stay in the freezer for without going off.Thanks a million for the information can't wait to make it.

lillol, Oct 14, 7:17pm
I don't know how long in the freezer, it won't last long in my freezer as my two teens would polish it off pretty quick - and me when no ones looking hahaha!

binj, Oct 14, 8:13pm
I have bought a snowy dessert maker this week - first recipe for ice cream used egg yolks, next I made a ice cream using the whites and it is better than the first one.Book says only keep 14 days in the freezer - but it wont last that long.I am going to try to make one with yogurt in it next.What I like is that I can see exactly whats going into it - no colourings preservatives additives etc. so over the summer I can make orange, macadamia, walnut, add tinned fruit etc.

smileeah, Oct 15, 9:39pm
Thanks for the recipe lillol. Made it for the tribe yesterday and it was a huge success here too. Def a keeper. No need to ever buy icecream again. The hubby likes it way better than bought stuff. I was a bit suss on it at first because the texture is a bit different to store bought icecream, kind of lighter, but it didn't stop me eating 2 bowlfuls in a row. lol I don't usually eat icecream either. We had ours with marshmallows and a wee bit of van essence. Will try boysenberries next time.

trading_gibsons, Oct 15, 9:47pm
A nice guilt free ice cream maker recipe Apologies for quantities as I just gage amounts:
A couple of egg yolks
about two cups oflight blue top milk
pretend sugar
& whatever flavours you want eg
I blend a tin of apricots & frozen berries
coffee/cocoa & orange essence

this comes out a bit like snow freeze.
Can i add I think they should have extra bottoms for sale so you can replace a new one straight away, when you take the cold one out of the freezer

deerhunter1962, Jul 18, 11:32pm
Yes it was condense milk and cream when i was working at the indian resturant and they just added what ever syrup flavour, i remember yrs in the 80s my mother use to buy the coconut and strawberry ice cream or did she make it, i was youngthen, but i remember it being pink with coconut yummm,

lythande1, Jul 19, 2:40am
Yep.Easy peasy.
This is the original recipe. The difficulty used to be when people didn't have freezers.
Then, later, people started to fuss about raw egg and hence the messing about with custard type ice creams. This is just simple. And as you have found, yummy.

daleaway, Jul 19, 2:51am
It's a 300ml bottle of cream and 1 tin of caramel condensed milk. Beat the cream and fold through the caramel. Couldn't be easier.
It's quite a firm icecream, so if you want a softer icecream, use more cream.

whitehead., Jul 19, 5:51am
the juice from your fruit can have a little custard powder added to it and thickend in the microwave and cooled then spooned over the icecream

splitty, Jul 20, 8:33am
The recipe I have seen on here is 1 tin of condensed milk and 600ml cream. Whip the cream and add the condensed milk and beat again. It is really nice with maple syrup. If you add fruit it gets icy though, depending on the water content of your fruit

veejay13, Jul 20, 9:43pm
lillol, that recipe is fantastic - I've been using it ever since you first posted it last year.And it keeps in the freezer for weeks and weeks - it's still as good as ever.Mind you,I don'thave any children or it would be gone, and with the colder weather I don't eat icecream so often myself.

I've tried various sugars and flavours - I think I'll stay with brown sugar and a drop or two of vanilla.