Real Clotted cream

Page 4 / 4
dreamers, Nov 30, 8:51pm
Thank you David for the update.did you keep the rest to use in Baking!.
I found another recipe from a 1970s English self sufficency book by John Seymour and his method is to leave fresh milk for 12 hours then heat to 187F ,immediately cool ,leave 24 hours and skim and what you skim is Devonshire Cream.

davidt4, Nov 30, 9:02pm
I didn't keep the remaining liquid - we eat strict low carb and milk doesn't fit into that.For people who eat high carb the liquid would be great in a rice pudding I imagine, or you could use it in the scones with which you serve the clotted cream.

The clotted cream has thickened up even more since it was separated from the liquid, and I think it's going to be beautiful with strawberries and raspberries.I'll also use it for a mustardy sauce to go with fish or maybe a rack of lamb.

village.green, Dec 16, 7:44pm
I am going to make from the Nigel Olsen blog recipe from cookessentials tomorrow.
Going to use 1 litre raw cream and 2 litres raw milk, pretty sure the cows are Jersey or J crosses.
I also managed to get some from Clearwater Organics - it was very good even though they don't sell in my town but really want to try my own.

davidt4, Dec 16, 8:46pm
Good news!Clearwater's clotted cream is on the shelves at Farro.We bought some yesterday.

It has a wonderful texture, the flavour is a little bland but I'll certainly be buying it whenever I see it.I hope it's still available when the figs are ripe.

village.green, Dec 16, 10:06pm
And david did you see the use by date! at least a month which is great. Not to complain but the texture is very very thick and stiff compared to the UK version and yes flavour not as pronounced.
I've still got one of Clearwater's unopened in the fridge which I am kind of keeping for my inlaws to try (FIL from Devon) but I haven't told them yet.and they only live up the road.

davidt4, Dec 16, 10:44pm
The use by date on mine is 7 Jan, but I doubt that this pot will last to the end of the week .

I believe that Lewis Road Creamery will be making clotted cream, but I haven't seen any yet and there is no mention of it on their web site.If it's as good as their butter it will really be something special.

waswoods, Dec 17, 2:32am
Moore-Wilson Porirua (and probably Wellington too) sell the Clearwater clotted cream. I can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't too expensive

village.green, Dec 19, 12:37am
Well I had a go yesterday at making my own clotted cream, and from 1 litre of raw cream and 2 litres of raw milk I got very little and it doesn't look or taste anything like proper English clotted, but it was ok on the scones my daughter made this morning. I'll use the remainder of milk/cream to make rice pudding me thinks!

teddiesbearall, Dec 22, 8:23am
I purchased some at Moore-Wilson in Porirua today and it cost $5.95 for a 225gram pottle. Looking forward to trying it out for the first time :)