Real Clotted cream

Page 2 / 4
buzzy110, Nov 29, 12:47am
Bumping to hear from davidt4 as well and thought I'd add in some trivia.

In my youth we used to get fresh, spring cream from a neighbour who had a couple of cows (in the middle of town would you believe?). It was so thick you could stand a spoon up in it and it sort of clotted naturally.

I want to find a farmer close by. Now I'm getting all nostalgic for the delights my parents were able to supply us with on a virtual shoestring budget.

cookessentials, Nov 29, 12:53am
I get full Jersey cream, unpasteurised and organic with which I make butter and cheese. It has a completely different taste and texture than ordinary cream and I would hazard a guess would make beautiful clotted cream. Methinks I might try the recipe on the link I gave above and see how it turns out.

trah, Nov 29, 12:56am
What brand is this, cookessentials?

telstonlane, Nov 29, 2:11am
I grew up on a dairy farm and we often had clotted cream. Mum called it scalded cream.She would fill a large heavy bottomed saucepan with milk straight from our jersey cows. Heated it very slowly to just on simmering point,you can see the milk starting to just move. Don't let it boil though. Then just take of the stove and leave to cool. When cool enough put in fridge and leave overnight. Skim the scalded/clotted cream off the top.
Agree with you Socram,so called Devonshire teas served here make my blood boil.

cookessentials, Nov 29, 2:20am
Do you mean the Jersey cream? it comes from a friend of a friend who has an organic property and two Jersey house cows.

davidt4, Nov 29, 2:45am
Progress report - the mixture has been in the fridge for about four hours and has separated quite clearly into two layers.The top layer is still quite soft but I'm hoping that once it has had the full ten hours it might have stiffened up.

trah, Nov 29, 3:44am
Ah, straight from the farm then - not bought in the shop.I can't count a dairy farmer amongst my own friends, unfortunately!

Thanks davidt4 - hope it passes the taste and texture test!

cookessentials, Nov 29, 4:13am
I see the one in the link I provided does not have to sit for 10 hours so would be far quicker to make.

socram, Nov 29, 9:35am
Good work guys.Look forward to your test results - all of them!

Thanks also for the recipe.

An interesting comment I heard on a (UK) food programme the other day was that English double cream has a much higher fat content than most countries, so possibly makes a different clotted cream.

I do accept that it is not for everyone and can understand many people wouldn't touch it. Sticky date pud with toffee sauce just needs decent clotted cream to make it the most decadent of all hot puds!Who cares about calories...

avalon.nz, Nov 29, 10:04am
http://www.avalonsguide.com/anab/2009/01/how-to-make-clotted
-cream-in-new-zealand/ which makes me think you would put warn or hot water in the slow cooker.

Hi there - with this way - you dont use any water - the cream and milk go straight in the crockpot / slowcooker and cook directly.

HTH :)

cookessentials, Nov 29, 5:50pm
take a look at post#23 trah, it has pictures too. It shows ordinary supermarket cream and full cream farmhouse milk, that's all you need.

davidt4, Nov 29, 7:59pm
My clotted cream has worked well - after ten hours in the fridge there was a 1 cm layer of thick sticky cream which was able to be lifted cleanly off the liquid underneath.The yield (from 500 ml cream and 1 litre full fat milk) was 310g.

It doesn't really have the rich flavour that English clotted cream does, and I guess this is because I made it from commercial pasteurised cream and milk.

If anyone has access to unpasteurised cream and milk I think the end product would be gorgeous.

socram, Nov 29, 8:52pm
Thanks for that.Reducing 1.5 litres down to just 310g says it all really!

Makes it very expensive - and it is still not as good as the real thing.

kiwitrish, Nov 30, 7:04pm
Just recieved this email re postage.Looks a better deal.

Hi again!
Just wanted to let you know that after today’s negotiations with the courier company, it now costs just $3.50 to send 500g of clotted cream ($25) anywhere in NZ rather than the $8.50 quoted – so $28.50 all in - a much better price

Best wishes,

valentino, Nov 30, 7:47pm
Hmmm, just wondering, one knows how thick double cream is but was given very recently a litre container of cream.

One has to use a spoon (Tipped jar upside down and no movement at all) and is as thick as cream cheese but very slightly softer texture.

Scooped onto a plate with a spoon and did not alter in shape what-so-ever so perhaps one could think of say a "Triple Cream".

It is absolutely delicious, totally unpasterised, and costs about $12 per litre.

Came from Helensville, and interesting to know if others had similar.

Had Butter Chicken the other night made with this, it was the smoothest one ever and all was totally demolished.

Cheers.

buzzy110, Nov 30, 8:48pm
Thanks for your report davidt4. It was most helpful for those of use who do not have access to milk and cream from a local cow and that is most of us.

aspenh, Nov 30, 8:51pm
OMG YUM!!clotted cream on icecream

dreamers, Nov 30, 8:51pm
Thank you David for the update.did you keep the rest to use in Baking?it still seems a lot cheaper than buying it .

davidt4, Nov 30, 9:02pm
I didn't keep the remaining liquid - we eat strict low carb and milk doesn't fit into that.For people who eat high carb the liquid would be great in a rice pudding I imagine, or you could use it in the scones with which you serve the clotted cream.

The clotted cream has thickened up even more since it was separated from the liquid, and I think it's going to be beautiful with strawberries and raspberries.I'll also use it for a mustardy sauce to go with fish or maybe a rack of lamb.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 9:34pm
ordinary supermarket full cream milk and cream works if you dont have access to your own cream.

guest, Dec 18, 8:34pm
It's also available from Nosh in Auckland, has some long life preservative in it as it has come from UK and current batch will last till March un-refrigerated.

unknowndisorder, Aug 23, 8:03pm
Bump for someone craving clotted cream

245sam, Nov 27, 8:14pm
Thanks for the info' kiwitrish, can you please give us more details - Company name, contact details, etc.
Although I don't need to be eating clotted cream, after enjoying it during our visit to the UK, I'm really pleased to know that it is available locally for an occasional treat.TIA.:-))

245sam, Nov 27, 8:25pm
Thanks for that kiwitrish - it's very likely that we will be in Leeston next weekend so it's looking like a visit to the Cafe is a 'must do' and maybe we'll come home with some clotted cream too.:-))

nfh1, Nov 27, 8:26pm
No I will not look.

I will not look

Well perhaps just a little peak at the site - but not buying.