Can I replace gorgonzola with feta for example?

sumstyle, Nov 25, 8:09am
I have a recipe for asparagus and gongonzola slice that I was wanting to do for Christmas day lunch, but I'm quite certain my family aren't likely to enjoy gongonzola (not to mention whether I could afford it?).I've looked up the cheese, and it seems it could be quite similar to feta.

Has anyone swapped these varieties around before and has an experience to share please?

uli, Nov 25, 8:10am
It will certainly taste very different.

winnie231, Nov 25, 8:13am
In my humble opinion - feta is nothing like gorgonzola ... but ... asparagus goes with many cheeses and I think you would be quite safe to swap the gorgonzola in your recipe for a cheese you prefer.
Merry Christmas :)

sumstyle, Nov 25, 8:15am
Maybe, but fortunately my palette will be ignorant of what the original recipe is meant to taste like, and my tongue will be none the wiser!

geldof, Nov 25, 8:19am
Gorgonzola is a blue cheese, isn't it?Blue or feta, both nice with asparagus.

sumstyle, Nov 25, 8:21am
Yes geldof, a bluie.

Thanks winnie, I'm working right up to Christmas eve so I want a couple of dishes I can prepare ahead of time and I've been sitting on this recipe for a while.

davidt4, Nov 25, 9:23am
In this context you can use any strong blue cheese instead of Gorgonzola, it doesn'thave to be expensive.Mainland Special reserve Creamy Blue is an excellent blue cheese which won the top award at the cheese awards last year and it is often on special at less than $4.Kikorangi is another excellent local blue which doesn't cost the earth.

Feta has a completely different taste and texture and would not work as a substitute.

sumstyle, Nov 25, 6:13pm
Does blue cheese lose some of it's smell on cooking, cos that's one of the things that my family will object to, and the mold.

Before everyone jumps on me, we Are making progress!We eat far more herbs and spices that we ever did, andare dead keen on veges.Just taking a while to break the conservative streak in us.It used to be mum that experimented on us, but she died last year and I suspect it has been a culinary setback cos we want food we can rely on at Christmas

kirinesha, Nov 25, 6:48pm
Sumstyle, I find blue cheese becomes much more mild when used in cooking. Gorgonzola is a very strong blue cheese so perhaps not the best to start with.

I suggest if your preference is feta then have a look for an alternative recipe - there are piles on the internet, and the spices and cooking method will have been specifically developed for, and tested with feta and likely to be far more successful.:)

sumstyle, Sep 8, 7:17pm
Thank you for that hint about the strength of the gorgonzola kirinesha.

I had thought to change my plan by doing the recipe with G, and then taking it to work to see what opinions I got there as to the taste of the slice.However, I priced G cheese today - $100 per kilo!Blimey.

Too expensive to experiment with so I think I will opt for feta and no one will be any the wiser.

thanks all.