BBQ for 'gluten free' guests - advice required

socram, Nov 21, 7:11pm
I am hosting and also doing the meats, fish, chicken for a BYO BBQ, plus possibly veg.We have three people coming who are 'gluten free'.I usually 'dress up' whatever I am cooking so apart from normal flour or breadcrumbs, what other ingredients (or foods) should I avoid in marinades or coatings?

Those who are intolerant are normally well aware of the products to avoid.For example I normally put raw porridge oats in the burger mix instead of breadcrumbs, but we no longer have the box to check what it contains!

herika, Nov 21, 7:31pm
Hi, Oats are not gluten free. You would need to check out all the ingredients in any marinades and sauces used, keeping an eye out for "hidden gluten".Contamination can also be a problem so you would need to make sure the bbq is cleaned before cooking the gluten free food or do it on a separate bbq.A lot of people who are gluten intolerant are also intolerant to other foods such asadditives etcso I think the best thing to do would be to ask the people themselves as they will know exactly what they can and cant have :)

davidt4, Nov 21, 7:52pm
You could buy really top quality meats and fish so that you don't feel the need to disguise them by dressing them them up.Just season them well and serve with homemade herb vinaigrette or aioli.Everyone will be happy.

countrygirl17, Nov 21, 9:00pm
I think gluten is an issue in malt vinegar? - may be best to look at pure single food items rather than discern your way through an Ingredients List. I'm sure there'll be people posting with further & better advice. Good luck. - CG's Mom.

gaspodetwd, Nov 22, 5:13am
You will need to avoid sugar unless it is cane sugar, malt vinegar, flour, some spices and so on. You are far better off getting great food and serving everything separately. Agreed. Some people like two in my family have to avoid a lot more than gluten so check to find out. It is horrible to have to say " sorry I can't eat that" when you know that hours have been spent trying to accommodate your dietary requirements.

uli, Nov 22, 5:21am
sugar?

duckmoon, Nov 22, 5:49am
also soy can contain glutten.

Other thing to note - if you are serving some glutten food and some glutten free food - to watch for cross-contamination

socram, Nov 22, 6:06am
Many thanks.My style of cooking is generally a little bit beyond plain, although I do think cooking separately is a bit over the top. Last two years with a largely similar group were great, (two of the three attended last year but I wasn't aware then! They are still with us and morde than happy to come again, but I am just trying to bea bit more aware

One of the three can certainly do one day a week without too much of a problem.Our normal and regular guests are fantastic as they'll eat absolutely anything and everyone loves experimenting with new dishes.

I wasn't aware of sugar and spices being a problem either.I did know that soy sauce is a problem, but vinegar?You learn something new every day.

Fortunately they'll be bringing the side dishes/desserts so at least they can be guaranteed other dishes that are OK.

There must be a rule of thumb though.I am also curious why this was never an issue 30 years ago or were we just not aware?

uli, Nov 22, 6:12am
Because 30 years ago we ate lots more things from the garden - and not so much bread, pasta, breakfast cereal (if any it would have been oats), cakes, muffins, pancakes etc etc - which is all wheat or other grains in different disguises.

If you read through some of the threads on here where people ask for recipes for a morning tea shout or lunch box stuff for the kids - you will see that hardly anything has not some wheat in it.

We eat it up to 5 times a day now: breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner. Think about what you ate the last few days - and grains would have featured in every meal of the day (except maybe dinner if you just had meat, veg and potatoes).

socram, Aug 27, 11:43am
I eat two mealsa day... Two slices of toast with a cooked brunch, (cooked breakfasts but taken very late morning) plus the evening meal.Probably a very light gluten component anyway for me, but some things are very obvious in their gluten content, (like your list above) but it is the less obvious ones that I am ignorant of.