Meatloaf recipe wanted please

whistlingwings, Nov 19, 8:51am
Looking for a good meatloaf recipe - one that I can cook at home and give to my son to reheat for his tea - so need a recipe that doesn't dry out on reheating.Thanks

campmum, Nov 19, 8:55am
This is a goodie...been around for years...
Meatloaf
500 grams Mince
500 grams Sausage Meat
1 cup Breadcrumbs
2 Onions chopped
2 tsp Curry powder
Salt & pepper
1 Tbsp parsley chopped
1 Egg
½ cup milk
½ cup water

Combine all except fluids, mix well. Gradually add fluid & mix until smooth. In greased dish tip in mix & shape into loaf. Bake 180*C for 40 mins.

Sauce: In Pot
½ cup water
¼ cup worster sauce
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp coffee
25 grams butter
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Bring to boil & simmer for 5 mins. Take meatloaf out of oven after 40 mins & pour sauce over.
Cook the meatloaf for a further 45 mins. Baste regularly

coolnzmum, Nov 19, 9:05am
Pretty sure the above is the one my SIL give us and it is fantastic.We make double recipe of sauce and only put in half to start with then baste every 15 to 20 odd minutes.

going to check if it is the same now.

whistlingwings, Nov 19, 5:31pm
G'morning.Thanks for the above recipe.

I know this is a 'blonde' query.When you say "baste" the loaf - do you keep some of the sauce aside and every now and then pour a little more sauce over the meatloaf while it is cooking.Otherwise I would havethought that once you pour the sauce over the meatloaf it would sink into the meat and there wouldn't be any sauce 'sitting anywhere'to baste.

whistlingwings, Nov 19, 6:10pm
Sorry, perhaps I didn't read the recipe properly.It looks like you place the meat mixture into a tin and then shape into a loaf, then pouring sauce over and then basting .
I was intending to put the mixture into a loaf tin;then basting would be awkward.

margyr, Nov 19, 8:27pm
hi there, if you look at the left hand side of this screen you will see a box headed message board, in the keyword or member box type meatloaf, and then in the date posted box click on the little arrow on the right and then on anytime, then click search, you will find loads of meatloaf recipes. good luck.

kiwibubbles, Nov 19, 9:57pm
there is a delicious one on the food in a minute website.... here it is: http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Empire-Meatloaf

it is soooooooooooo good and my favourite - i was not a keen fan of meatloaf until I tried this recipe. Its even better cold the next day between two slices of fresh bread

greerg, Nov 19, 11:43pm
I make extra sauce too as my family like to have some to serve with the loaf. It is a really good recipe and quite old - I found it on one of my Grandmother's old handwritten books and she died nearly 60 years ago.I cut the coffee down to about 2/3 of a teasp of instant coffee as we find the full teasp a bit "coffeeish".With the smaller amount it gives a tang that is not recognisably coffee.

toeblister, Aug 19, 7:18pm
The recipe that campmum posted is the one my family have been eating for years and loving it my friend gave me the recipe however, the sauce with our is different and yummy....... 1xtin of apricots, 1/4 c of malt vinegar, 2 Tbs of brown sugar.Simmer all in a pot 5 mins. (I mash the apricots beforehand)Take meatloaf out of oven etc etc.