Potato salad

Page 2 / 4
funshop72, Dec 22, 9:55pm
potato salad is refreshing on a hot day mind you it fills you up real quick when you go back for second helping of potato salad thats when you become the lounge lizard and you think hell ate to much

daisyk, Dec 22, 11:16pm
No, I thought I had dill, but it was fennell.I did have dried dill, so used that.I'm buying dill today so that I can make the potato salad again, and again.
I must say, I've always been so disappointed in other potato salads and never seen a recipe that didn't look gluggy (from the mayonnaise) - so this one has definitely raised the bar in my view!

davidt4, Dec 22, 11:25pm
Here's a way to treat the potatoes for a non-gluggy potato salad.As soon as the potatoes are cooked drain them thoroughly, put in a shallow dish, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper and half-cover with dry white wine.Turn them over gently in the wine after about 10 minutes, leave to cool completely.When the potatoes are completely cold they will have absorbed most of the wine, but drain off any liquid that remains.

The potatoes will need far less dressing than usual and the salad will be light and tasty.I usually dress potato salad with homemade mayonnaise or a dill and mustard dressing, but a vinaigrette made with really good olive oil is also nice.

uli, Dec 22, 11:39pm
WOT?
Which recipe was that ??

fruitluva2, Dec 22, 11:53pm
Fisher thank you for sharing your ma's recipe, I'm going to try this salad after reading daisyk's feedback.

davidt4, Dec 23, 12:29am
It was a recipe from pickles7 in the other potato salad thread.Suggested addition to potato salad - chocolate chips.

fruitluva2, Dec 23, 12:33am
Have heard of some odd things in food but choc chips in potato salad?the thought of it sounds ........ blerk

tarshlove, Dec 23, 8:23am
Is there an alt to having dill weed and pickle in it as I don't have any :(

fisher, Dec 23, 8:41am
sorry... those are the two secret ingredients including the pickle juicethat make it taste so nice..

uli, Dec 23, 8:11pm
Without having pickles available you could make MY mothers recipe from Germany:

Steam small waxy potatoes in their jackets, when cooked run under cold water to loosen skins. Let cool so you can handle them, then peel when they are still warm and slice thinly into a bowl.

Pour over a quarter cup of boiling hot stock (chicken or vegetables is best, so it gets not too dark) and let the potato slices soak that up. Depending on potato variety and amount you might need a bit more or less liquid, so try it out.

After half an hour add dressing (oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, a spoon of hot mustard if you like) and some chopped onions (red or spring work best) and mix carefully so the slices do not break too badly.

Serve lukewarm for best flavour, but can be kept in fridge for a day or two and taken out about an hour before eating to warm up again.

My grandmothers variation on a hot summers day was to add very finely sliced fresh cucumber. This will give it a nice cool crunch, but leftovers will not keep very well, as the cucumbers will make it watery if it stands too long.

fisher, Dec 23, 8:53pm
well there ya go....:}} if you have lots of people coming for xmas dinner you can make both... or even better have plenty leftovers for the next day..:}}
uli...haben eine gute Weihnachtstag.

lissy73, Dec 23, 9:11pm
I am using 3 diff colours of maori potatoes in my salad tomorrow but am not too sure what else to add. Thanks for this thread, it has given me some ideas. Something is telling me to add finely sliced orange rind... I don't know why... maybe i will try that just for the family and not experiment with it for Christmas Day! lol

winnie231, Dec 23, 9:29pm
YUM fisher!!! Your spud salad recipe sounds delish - thanks for sharing it!
Seasonings greetings to yourself and Kathy.
Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr! (uli - Dir auch)

fisher, Dec 23, 9:44pm
Its real nice winnie.. please try it sometime...
Sie hoffen, dass sie zu winnie hand ist gut und alles Gute fur das neue jahr. Jahreszeiten Gruß an deine junge Madchen..

donnabeth, Dec 24, 12:33am
I cooked up a huge potful of my nice new potatoes fresh from the garden.

THEY ARE MUSHY! I was cooking them very very slowly, but got sidetracked watering the garden and forgot about them so now they are overcooked and breaking up when I try to cut them. Should I cut them into large chunks and pour the dressing over top and hope for the best, or should I fold it in gently hoping not too many break up?

Did I learn from this? Well I went on to poach 2 chicken breasts and I forgot about those as well while ironing. Do I have seasonal alzheimers? What was the question again?

fisher, Dec 24, 1:13am
if its for xmas... I would start again... grab ye olde pitch fork and get a few more from the garden :}
Maybe mash up those with some olive oil, crushed garlic, and pre fried bacon bits and add some lightly steamed peas.. few sun dried tomatoes if you want.. mix all well and serve using an ice cream scoop in balls..
Yes... only have to walk away for a minute of two and be sidetracked and it all turns to custard... well not literally but...hahahahahaha:}
Have a good xmas donnabeth..

uli, Dec 24, 4:01am
Thanks fisher and winnie for the wishes :)
I hope you have a good holiday time too.

As you know I am one of the Xmas free households - which leaves so much more time for gardening (watering in particular at the moment) and cooking and eating LOL :)
So tomorrow I will be sitting on my bum all day reading and eating and just shifting the sprinkler. Have a great time.

donnabeth, Dec 24, 4:04am
I started again and watched the pot.

My pickle jar cheated me. I bought the sliced gherkins and there was no dill weed in the jar. I have fennel in the garden, can I use that?

I like the look of your potato balls fisher, are they served hot or cold? I have all those ingredients.

Thanks for the lots of advice you've given over the years fisher, it's been followed and appreciated. Have a happy holiday season.

skata, Dec 24, 4:29am
I'd like to thank davidt4 as well, for her fantastic curry recipes.You all sound like you are such good cooks.Unfortunately I'm not, so these inventive recipes are a great help to me.Also to lissy73, I think the orange rind sounds like it would be really nice.My sister added it to her coleslaw a little while ago and it tasted great.

davidt4, Dec 24, 4:37am
Thanks skata!As time permits I'm putting up recipes here:

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=945&sid=1e44ecaadeedad05b387d0369054a586

So do have a look, and if there is something in particular you would like to make and it's not there don't hesitate to ask - I might be able to help.

fisher, Dec 24, 5:25am
No reason you cant just make them now...serve cold but best made when warm straight out of pot... tis oks... warm up in microwave and then mash up....

donnabeth, Dec 24, 10:35am
We celebrated our family Christmas tonight with a light meal before we head in different directions tomorrow.

The potato balls were tasty and so is the potato salad. I used the same dressing on a chicken salad. I found some dill in another jar.

I'm booking my place in the dementia wing soon. You'd think I couldn't repeat my mistakes a third time in the same day, but I put on a chicken to take for tomorrow which should have come out of the oven at 9pm, but I remembered it at 10pm. The meat fell off the bones so it's a good thing we're having it cold and shredded. I'm not built for multitasking.

mango5, Jan 7, 8:19am
Ok so I made the potato salad for christmas lunch.My kids and I love the flavour of the dressing.I don't think I will ever go back to jar bought potagto salad ever again.Thank you very much for the new way to make it.Tried and true, and will definitly have again.

suzanna, Nov 18, 9:09pm
This thread has to be revived as Fisher I made your legendary potato salad last night having not made it for ages and mmmmm. Made it with new season jersey bennies and our free range eggs mmmmm. Had leftovers for breakfast...oh dear I feel a big walk coming on.

guest, Nov 26, 3:02am
...put white vinegar in ya eggs when you cook them!