Potato salad

Page 4 / 4
winnie231, Dec 23, 9:29pm
YUM fisher! Your spud salad recipe sounds delish - thanks for sharing it!
Seasonings greetings to yourself and Kathy.
Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr! (uli - Dir auch)

fisher, Dec 23, 9:44pm
Its real nice winnie. please try it sometime.
Sie hoffen, dass sie zu winnie hand ist gut und alles Gute fur das neue jahr. Jahreszeiten Gruß an deine junge Madchen.

donnabeth, Dec 24, 12:33am
I cooked up a huge potful of my nice new potatoes fresh from the garden.

THEY ARE MUSHY! I was cooking them very very slowly, but got sidetracked watering the garden and forgot about them so now they are overcooked and breaking up when I try to cut them. Should I cut them into large chunks and pour the dressing over top and hope for the best, or should I fold it in gently hoping not too many break up!

Did I learn from this! Well I went on to poach 2 chicken breasts and I forgot about those as well while ironing. Do I have seasonal alzheimers! What was the question again!

fisher, Dec 24, 1:13am
if its for xmas. I would start again. grab ye olde pitch fork and get a few more from the garden :}
Maybe mash up those with some olive oil, crushed garlic, and pre fried bacon bits and add some lightly steamed peas. few sun dried tomatoes if you want. mix all well and serve using an ice cream scoop in balls.
Yes. only have to walk away for a minute of two and be sidetracked and it all turns to custard. well not literally but.hahahahahaha:}
Have a good xmas donnabeth.

donnabeth, Dec 24, 4:04am
I started again and watched the pot.

My pickle jar cheated me. I bought the sliced gherkins and there was no dill weed in the jar. I have fennel in the garden, can I use that!

I like the look of your potato balls fisher, are they served hot or cold! I have all those ingredients.

Thanks for the lots of advice you've given over the years fisher, it's been followed and appreciated. Have a happy holiday season.

skata, Dec 24, 4:29am
I'd like to thank davidt4 as well, for her fantastic curry recipes.You all sound like you are such good cooks.Unfortunately I'm not, so these inventive recipes are a great help to me.Also to lissy73, I think the orange rind sounds like it would be really nice.My sister added it to her coleslaw a little while ago and it tasted great.

davidt4, Dec 24, 4:37am
Thanks skata!As time permits I'm putting up recipes here:

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=43&t=945&sid=1e44ecaadeedad05b387d0369054a586

So do have a look, and if there is something in particular you would like to make and it's not there don't hesitate to ask - I might be able to help.

fisher, Dec 24, 5:25am
No reason you cant just make them now.serve cold but best made when warm straight out of pot. tis oks. warm up in microwave and then mash up.

donnabeth, Dec 24, 10:35am
We celebrated our family Christmas tonight with a light meal before we head in different directions tomorrow.

The potato balls were tasty and so is the potato salad. I used the same dressing on a chicken salad. I found some dill in another jar.

I'm booking my place in the dementia wing soon. You'd think I couldn't repeat my mistakes a third time in the same day, but I put on a chicken to take for tomorrow which should have come out of the oven at 9pm, but I remembered it at 10pm. The meat fell off the bones so it's a good thing we're having it cold and shredded. I'm not built for multitasking.

mango5, Jan 7, 8:19am
Ok so I made the potato salad for christmas lunch.My kids and I love the flavour of the dressing.I don't think I will ever go back to jar bought potagto salad ever again.Thank you very much for the new way to make it.Tried and true, and will definitly have again.

bev00, Jul 14, 1:28pm
I just add Aioli, chopped spring onion, cracked pepper, and chopped sundried tomatoes to warm baby potatoes. Some times add avocado/olives/ red onion or if no Aioli, ranch dressing. Pretty simple here!

Quotevintagekitty (1341 )6:02 pm, Mon 11 Jul #2
Whole Potato Salad with Bacon and Beans
Ingredients:
500gm baby gourmet potatoes, scrubbed, boiled whole skin on 150gm fresh garden beans, blanched 2-3 bacon rashers grilled and chopped 1 red onion sliced
1 cup traditional dressing 1 cup unsweetened yoghurt fresh mint leaves fresh chopped parsley
Traditional Dressing :
395gm highlander condensed milk 1 cup vinegar 1 tsp salt 2 tsp dry or prepared mustard
Beat all ingredients together (store 2 weeks covered in refrigerator)
Method:
Slice the potatoes in half. Place the potatoes, beans, bacon and onion in a serving bowl. Combine dressing and yoghurt and pour over the salad.
Garnish with the mint leaves and chopped parsley.

Potato Salad with Spicy Sausage
Take 2 large spicy sausages( chorizo or any spicy sausage) cut in half lengthways, a diced onion and gently fry in olive oil. Cut up into small pieces and set all aside.
Boil 500gms of washed baby spuds with skin on .Place in serving bowl . Now gently squash the potatoes till the skin is broken. Add sausage and pour over dressing.
Dressing:
I tbsp dijon mustard 1 tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil fresh ground black pepper 1 dollop chives and parsley finely chopped

Potato Salad V One
red onion potatoes gherkins capsicum mayo lite lemon juice season with salt and pepper
Cook Potatoes till just done. Drain and set aside in cool water (if you want cool potato salad). Chop onion, cube gherkins and capsicum. Mix into the drained potatoes
Mix mayo lite, lemon juice, gherkin juice together to taste, season with salt and pepper and mix through potato mix
Chill for 1 - 2 hours before serving for cold potato salad

Potato Salad V Two
Cubed cooked potatoes 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped 1/2 cup onion slices 1 tsp salt 11/2 cups salad dressing 2 tbsp prepared mustard dash pepper
11/2 cups celery slices 6 x radish sliced and halved 1 cup chopped green capsicum cherry tomato halves
Combine potatoes, celery, eggs, radishes, onions, green pepper and seasonings. Add combined salad dressing and mustard; mix lightly.
Chill. Garnish with tomato halves.

Hot Potato Salad
6 med potatoes 2 tbsp chopped parsley 1/2 cup diced celery 4 tbsp vinegar 4 rashers precooked bacon 4 tbsp salad oil 1/2 tbsp lemon juice salt black pepper
Cook potatoes with jackets on in salted water. Cool, peel into slices or chunks.
Mix vinegar, salad oil and lemon juice and heat just to boiling point. Pour half on potatoes, add bacon bits to vinegar oil mixture, stir and then mix it into potatoes.
Mix in celery, parsley, salt and pepper and toss gently.

Cold Polish Potato Salad
6 med potatoes 1 med onion diced 1/2 cup salad dressing 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped 1 tsp paprika salt white pepper
Marinade: ~ 1/4 cup salad oil 1/4 cup cider vinegar 1 tbsp caraway seeds
Dice cooked potatoes into large bowl. For marinade pour oil, vinegar, caraway seeds, salt, pepper into jar, seal. Shake vigorously.
Pour marinade over potatoes and let sit for 1 hour giving a stir . Now add onion, eggs and salad dressing and toss. Garnish with paprika.

bev00, Jul 14, 1:31pm
Red Spud Potato Salad
Red potatoes 400g bacon celery diced 6 hard boiled eggs chopped chives salad dressing vinegar salt pepper
Boil potatoes with jackets on in salt water, let cool and slice. Set aside. Now slice up eggs, celery and chop chives
Using a large bowl, make layer of potato and add celery, egg rounds and chives on top. Repeat layers. Fry bacon until crisp. Break up two rashers to small pieces
Save the grease in fry pan. Add salad dressing to pan and cook until bubbles. Add vinegar, salt and pepper and the bacon bits. Stir. Pour over potato mixture.
Garnish with eggs sliced in rounds on top. Sprinkle of fine chopped parsley and the rest of bacon strips on top.

Edited by fisher at 6:17 pm, Mon 11 Jul

Quotefisher (627 )6:15 pm, Mon 11 Jul #3
Sour Cream Potato Salad
1/3 cup Italian salad dressing potatoes cooked in jackets in salted water, peeled and sliced 3/4 cup sliced celery 1/3 cup sliced onion 4 hard boiled eggs.
1 cup mayo lite 1/2 cup sour cream 11/2 tsp horseradish sauce.
Pour Italian dressing over warm potatoes, chill for 2 hours. Add celery and onions. Chop eggs, mix with mayonnaise, sour cream, and mustard.
Add salt and celery salt to taste. Fold into salad Chill in fridge at least 2 hours. Garnish with fine chopped parsley.

German Potato Salad
Potatoes cooked diced raw onions 4 slices bacon 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup vinegar 1/4 cup sugar 2 tbsp flour 1/2 tsp salt dash pepper.
Slice cooked potatoes into a bowl Sprinkle diced raw onions over potatoes. Cut bacon into small pieces and fry. Remove crisp bacon from fat. Save for garnish.
In a jar mix 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a little pepper. Shake in sealed jar.
Slowly add contents of jar to bacon fat, stirring as you would to make a gravy. Pour over potatoes and onions. This recipe may be doubled.

Quotefisher (627 )6:17 pm, Mon 11 Jul #4

suzanna, Nov 19, 9:09pm
This thread has to be revived as Fisher I made your legendary potato salad last night having not made it for ages and mmmmm. Made it with new season jersey bennies and our free range eggs mmmmm. Had leftovers for breakfast.oh dear I feel a big walk coming on.

uli, Nov 30, 10:12pm
bump for another good thread.

mattdylan, Nov 30, 10:22pm
Loving this thread, I am going to make a potato salad Xmas day too - but one main ingredient I am not seeing much of is BACON that has to be in my spud salads. I usually just mix through some best foods mayo with boiled eggs, bacon, spring onion and lots of MINT

sarahb5, Dec 1, 3:00am
I agree about the bacon, or ham.My potato salad is small potatoes boiled until just tender with a red onion sliced and boiled with them.Then I drain that and tip into an oven tray and roast them in extra virgin olive oil with either chopped streaky bacon or a couple of thin slices of ham diced with some fresh rosemary and/or thyme, crushed garlic and sometimes diced red capsicum as well.I don't usually add a dressing, just tip it into a dish and let it cool but if I do use a dressing it is just balsamic or raspberry vinegar and olive oil.If I don't have bacon or ham I use bacon bits and have also added finely chopped capers on occasion.

jmonster, Dec 1, 5:45am
That sounds amazing. I love balsamic vinegar with potatoes.

sarahb5, Dec 1, 5:58am
I really don't like potato salad with mayo and/or sour cream - I just find it a bit too "cloying" if you get my meaning - love it this way, much lighter

uli, Dec 8, 7:49am
bump for kellz