Chelsea bun recipe

itsmineah, Nov 16, 12:45am
Hi I wonder if anyone has a recipe for these.

I cant find them over here in Melbourne anywhere and my husband has got a craving for them. I have checked my edmonds cook book but cant even find them in there.

245sam, Nov 16, 12:48am
here you are itsmineah, a recipe from my Manual Training days, 40+ years ago!

CHELSEA BUNS
225g (8oz) flour
3 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
55g (2oz) butter
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
approximately ¼ cup milk
cinnamon+extra sugar

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.Chop and rub in the butter.Add the measured sugar.
Beat the egg and add the milk.Reserve a little of the liquid mixture, then stir the remainder into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.Roll the dough into an oblong.Sprinkle with the cinnamon and extra sugar, and roll up into a long roll.Cut into 12 buns and dip each in egg and milk, then in sugar.
Bake at215°C (425°F).:-))

valentino, Nov 16, 1:36am
Another recipe but using yeast......

Chelsea Buns
(These are top of the line buns, absolutely delicious)

Makes 12.

Ingredients:
4 ½ cups high grade flour
½ tsp salt
50g butter
6 tablespoons or 3/8 cup castor sugar
4 tsp Surebake yeast (one can use 3 tsp but 4 gives a nicer rise)
1 cup hand-hot milk
1 egg beaten

For the Glaze;
¼ cup castor sugar
1 tsp orange tinted water (water with just a couple drops of pure orange juice)

For the Filling;
25g butter melted
2/3 cup sultanas
2 tablespoons mixed chopped peel
2 tablespoons currants
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice.

Method;
Mix flour & salt in large bowl, then rub in butter and stir in sugar and yeast.
Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients, add milk and egg.
Mix to make a firm dough.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead thoroughly for about 10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
Flour mixing bowl, return the dough to it and cover with oiled clear plastic wrap.
Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.

Lightly grease a 23cm square cake tin.
When the dough has risen, turn it out onto floured surface and knock it back (punch down).
Roll out the dough into a square that measures about 30cm.
Brush the dough with the melted butter, sprinkle with the dried fruits, sugar and spice, all evenly, leaving a border of 1cm along one edges.

Starting at the covered edge, roll the dough (swiss roll fashion).
Press the clear border edge to seal.
Cut the roll into 12 slices and then place these cut side uppermost in prepared tin.

Cover with oiled clear plastic wrap.
Leave the buns to rise in a warm place for about 30 – 45 minutes or until the dough slices have doubled in size and are almost at the top of tin.

Bake buns at 200c for 15 to 20 minutes or until they have risen well and are evenly golden all over.

Once they are baked, leave the buns to cool slightly in the tin before lifting them out and transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Gently heat the glaze ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
Brush the mixture over the warm buns.

Lovely when served warm.

Variation: Use icing sugar instead of castor sugar and make a thin glaze icing to brush or trickle over the freshly baked buns.

If one has a breadmaker, one can use this only to do the dough and follow the breadmaker’s instructions re order of ingredients.

Cheers.

elliehen, Nov 16, 10:23am
valentino, they look so tempting...I almost reached into the photo to pull one apart ;)

valentino, Nov 16, 5:33pm
elliehen, these are as close as one get to the originals that was done by the Chelsea Bun Company, they used pure dried yeast, about 1 to 2 tsps.
Edmonds Surebake is what one normally uses mostly in breadmaking hence this slight alteration.

Also (One thinks) they use an orange flower liquid to tint the water for the glaze.

Cheers.

valentino, Nov 16, 6:56pm
Also noted chopped peel instead of lemon rind.....

Likewise one could use a little lemon rind to flavour water for glaze as well.

Another bit to add, cinnamon could be used instead of mixed spice but mixed spice goes better with the dried fruit more so with the use of sultanas with currants rather than just currants..... and gives that better distinct difference to those "Cinnamon Buns".

Sultanas just gives that better texture overall.

The original ones just had currants and lemon rind....

Cheers and just a little bit more thoughts re these buns and to the recipe given.

elliehen, Nov 16, 10:49pm
Thanks very much!

theresa, Oct 18, 3:49pm
Ina Gartner made her recipe for these bunson Tv. Dec. 11, 2010. Anyone get the recipe? I can't find it. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you