Butter! whats wrong with it?

Page 4 / 4
buzzy110, Mar 27, 4:16am
I've been putting off adding this piece of information because you'll all get depressed but I don't see any reason why I should be gnashing my teeth all alone here so here goes.

In the latest Cuisine Artisan Awards there is a new butter on the market made from whole milk. The clever lady takes this milk and adds a culture, leaves it for 24 hours, churns it which separates it into butter and butter milk and it is supposed to be "terrific in baking". They sell the buttermilk as well. And it is supposed to be so excellent because no salt has been added and only has a 2 week shelf life.

So soon butter from cream will be a thing of the past. We'll all be eating butter made from the fat in milk (rather than the cream) and the food technologists (which the inventor is) will have us all believing it is 100% healthier and your cooking will turn out magnificent.

Now I like fermented foods better than the rest but I like butter better than pretend butter.

maxwell.inc, Mar 27, 4:18am
I saw that butter in my search buzzy. . its called sour butter, seems quite popular in America (haha wouldn't you have guessed)

elliehen, Mar 27, 4:40am
A children's tongue-twister to try, which is better for one's health than hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing ;)

"Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter. Where's the bit of better butter Betty Botter bought? "

uli, Mar 27, 5:17am
Is there any REAL facts you can add though elliehen?
Cause I must admit that your little interceptions tire me out ...
And they do NOT add anything to the discussions we have here.

buzzy110, Mar 27, 5:42am
Be thankful we didn't get "butter according to the Simpsons" uli.

uli, Mar 27, 6:40am
OMG - what is THAT? ?

elliehen, Mar 27, 7:32am
uli (and buzzy110) you'll have me starting to believe that serious low carb diets impair sense-of-humour functionality...

If a little lightheartedness tires you out so easily, maybe you need an afternoon nap ;)

runeaholics, Mar 27, 10:28am
Oily as how much my fingers feel after I've touched the surface. From my limited exp with butter Rolling Meadow doesn't leave as much fat on my fingers as the other brands I've used before.

Though, I know that pastry chefs at AUT use Mainland butter (gold foiled one) because it's good for baking and it doesn't break the bank.

buzzy110, Mar 28, 12:19am
runeaholics. I like that tip about AUT. I have noticed lately that my profiterole cases don't turn out like they used to and I have been considering whether it is the butter. I thought I'd have to start clarifying before using for profiteroles but I might try gold foil Mainland first. In any event I always use Tararua because it doesn't have water. I am an inveterate label reader and as butters started to have water added to them I have stopped buying them.

runeaholics, Mar 28, 12:22am
I tried making some choux buns last night and they didn't come out as puffy and as dry as they usually would. :( After reading this thread I thought it might be the butter since the butter I'm using has water in it...
Mainland butter is on special next week at $3. 47 IIRC a block, so I'm going to get some then.
Though the butter with water in it came out great for choc chip cookies I did the other night.
Maybe it only affects certain recipes that are more 'sensitive' about measurements than others?

maxwell.inc, Mar 28, 12:22am
Gold foil is no better than the yellow paper. . still has a butt load of whey in it.

This new Anchor (I say new because the packet now doesn't state it has water added. . just cream, salt) is horrendous... I used some today to sauté some mushrooms... I ended up with mushrooms in butter sauce because this block seems to be 30-40% whey.

buzzy110, Mar 28, 12:28am
uli. The Simpsons is a juvenile children's cartoon show on TV that comes with a message so that people will know how to think, just in case their own brains were defective. Apparently elliehen likes this show so much she has even quoted it in the Food Lies thread.

Also, whilst elliehen can find nothing even remotely funny in satire (the CM thread) she and maybe others, take pleasure in clever use of words (as do I occasionally). I have to admit that we are all different and whilst it misses the mark in my brain, I can appreciate that there was nothing in the least bit malicious or nasty in her original post.

wizzbikz, Mar 28, 1:35am
NOTHING

maxwell.inc, Mar 28, 9:52pm
Just to show you how many people are eating rancid butter like my MIL does ... this seems to be a kiwi thing. . keeping butter in the pantry!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=231316

st_allie, Mar 29, 7:06am
Hiya. . first opportunity to sit down and write up the experiments.

the muffins made with tararua. . came out great, rose slightly higher than the ones made with anchor. . this recipe calls for 100grams to be melted before adding to the rest of the ingredients. . anchor definately had the whey thing happening... teen taste test said they tasted similar. . the tararua ones got eaten first though.

the oatie biscuits really didn't have any discernable difference. . I thought there may have been more of an oily residue on the baking sheet. . but no. . exactly the same. . and teen taste test. . said they couldn't tell the difference either.

will use up the rest of the anchor butter for biscuits I think. . and save the good stuff for cakes and muffins.

uli, Mar 29, 9:01am
Anchor is out then by the looks :)

Thanks for the test.

jimminette, Mar 29, 10:54am
Well I've just got out my butter and had a look. Mainland unsalted butter. (I use it to make cream with my Kenwood)Ingredients: Cream, WaterContains milk products.

dezzie, Mar 29, 8:55pm
with reference to maxwells post about "whey butter" yearssss ago when I was a kid and the milk tanker delivered the butter etc, we used to get whey butter, of course because I was a kid, I don't know if it was a suppliers only thing, or if it was available in the shops as well.
But it was a product that we could get.
So maybe they have reverted to making this again and not calling it whey butter anymore.
After a wee look on google about whey butter I see that some sites say it is more oily, so this might be the answer to whats different about it.

uli, Mar 29, 9:00pm
So the question remains - why do we need "milk products" in the butter - and what is it? I make butter out of cream and nothing else at all ...

uli, Mar 29, 9:07pm
Now I would think what she is talking about is new technology so you do not have have to separate the cream from the low-fat milk, and then churn it into butter, but to culture the whole milk and then churn the butter out, leaving lots of buttermilk to sell as well.

If that is better or not I don't know. There is also now the "one-day-mozzarella"-
which is "such a success" - for whom? For Fonterra of course. But that needs a new posting altogether.

uli, Mar 29, 9:11pm
Here is how mozzarella is traditionally made:
http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/mozzarella.htm

Here is Fonterras "improvement":
http://digital2.couriercountry.co.nz/olive/ode/cc_daily/Land
ingPage/LandingPage. aspx? href=Q0MvMjAxMC8wMi8yNA. . &pagen
o=MjY. &entity=QXIwMjYwMA. . &view=ZW50aXR5

THE development of mozzarella cheese that can be made and matured in one day is one of the success stories to come out of the Fonterra Research Centre at Palmerston North.
Fonterra group director technology Jeremy Hill said his team was working to develop new high-value products and reduce production costs and one of the success stories was the development of the one-day production of mozzarella cheese, which was exported for pizzamaking.
Traditionally, it took about three months for mozzarella cheese to mature in order to ensure the right consistency, but the new developments meant the cheese could undergo instant maturation in a day and the new method also ensured consistency of produce, Mr Hill said.
The new cheese was liked by customers, Mr Hill said. The new process meant the cheese could be produced to order and shipped straight to the customer.
The new method also cut storagecosts, Mr Hill said.

Now the fact that the "new" cheese was liked by customers only means that commercial frozen pizza producers thought it was easy to use ... it has nothing to do with US - the end customer of course ...

maxwell.inc, Dec 15, 5:07pm
Ahh Palmy Research Centre... Runner up to Rurakura in Hamilton... where the fields roam with glowing sheep with jellyfish genes, Cows that produce odd milks... scary stuff.