Butter! whats wrong with it?

Page 3 / 4
elliehen, Mar 25, 7:41am
Another view, from an earlier recent thread on the subject.

uli, Mar 25, 7:52am
Lurpak comes from Denmark - and although I have used it on the odd occasion I am not fond of it.

Dairy cows in Denmark are stabled 12 months of the year - and fed a lot of grains. Consequently the lovely butter has lots of Omega6 fatty acids and hardly any Omega3 - which our grass fed NZ cows produce in abundance.

So although I like the Lurpak taste better - I buy NZ organic butter until I am fit enough to milk a Jersey again.

korbo, Mar 25, 9:05am
saw this thread this morning, and went to p/save. the budget butter and rolling meadow both have water, cream and salt.
I havent personally noticed any difference, but havent done a lot of cake/bisc baking since xmas. Did notice the fish tonight burnt a little more than usual, and the piklets last week burnt bad. i thought it was something else , but maybe the water in butter, makes things burn... anyone with a theory on this... would like to know. taste wise, havent noticed any diff.

upsizeme, Mar 25, 12:54pm
This time of year your butter fat is higher ;) not lower. As most are supplimenting feed. I would say it is your brands you are using poster 1

fruitluva2, Mar 25, 7:43pm
If you have an eye for detail, 80% of the time you can spot a rancid block of butter that has been left in warmth for a period of time then it goes in the chiller whether by the manufacturers or the supermart workers.

tixy, Mar 26, 2:29am
What about goats milk butter? Has anybody tried and/or made their own? I have purchased 2 dairy goats and am looking forward to using the milk - but i know very little about turning it into butter.

st_allie, Mar 26, 4:06am
okies I went to pak n save. . they only have mainland ( gold wrapper), anchor and lurpak, salted versions were 81. 4 % the unsalted lurpak was 82% and unsalted mainland is 82. 9% highest so far. . both the anchor and mainland state cream salt and water. . and after those words in italics is 'contains milk products' so whether that refers to the cream. . or... as mentioned earlier, that is milk solids added. . I'm not sure.
The brand from the link given earlier ( ridge organic) which is supposed to be carried by that particular pak n save. . they don't stock it now.

I popped into countdown on the way home and they stock tararua. . which is 81. 4 % and two organic butters both really highly priced at $9 for 250gm block. . so i have a block of anchor and a block of tararua to experiment with. . Will be making banana muffins and oatie biscuits tomorrow. . will see if there's any difference in oiliness etc. .

(your intrepid reporter. . signing off... )

bedazzledjewels, Mar 26, 4:10am
Good for you st_allie. I'm going to try Huckleberry for the butter tomorrow.
This will be like watching a reality science programme. Waiting for the conclusions! Hope you've got lots of volunteers to eat muffins!

st_allie, Mar 26, 5:09am
4 teenagers and all their friends. . I can't see it being an issue hehehe

uli, Mar 26, 5:41am
Goats milk needs to be cooled very quickly and kept very low (2 to 4 degrees) and everything needs to be very clean - invest in a stainless steel bucket - so it doesn't start smelling goaty.

Goats milk is naturally homogenised - so to get the cream out you need a cream separator - which costs about $400 second hand and has about 40 small platelets which need to be washed scrupulously clean each time you use it - or your cream will be smelly.

Once you have the cream you can make butter which then must be washed in very cold (running) water with butter hands (little wooden pats) - again very thoroughly otherwise it will start smelling terrible after a day or two.

In short - I was too lazy to go through this every morning (evening milk kept in the fridge, then churned together with morning milk) after the initial excitement.

However once I had a Jersey I only had a bottom bit of milk in the bottles all the rest was cream :) - no problems there ...

So the goats milk was used from December (when the kids were weaned) until March/April when the Jersey calved - and then we had rich creamy milk till December when we dried her off to recover before the next calf came along and went back to goats milk.

uli, Mar 26, 5:43am
Allie - I think the best test is melting a measured amount and checking how it melts. Water or leftover buttermilk will hiss and spit - and whatever you fry in it may stick to the frypan.

Will be interesting to see if there are differing results in the baking too.

maxwell.inc, Mar 26, 7:13am
Interesting results tonight . . I melted 1/4 of a cup of Anchor, when it settled it was 50%! ! ! whey/milk white floaty bits.

uli, Mar 26, 7:59am
Well I am glad that I am not the only one complaining about too much buttermilk ... in the butter ...

maxwell.inc, Mar 26, 8:36am
I haven't noticed it before. . but then again this is Anchor and I as a rule don't buy that brand. . I have some Tararua in the fridge so I will pay attention next time I melt some and measure the amount of buttermilk in it.

runeaholics, Mar 27, 1:20am
I find Rolling Meadow isn't as oily as the other brands I've used before.

buzzy110, Mar 27, 2:05am
Struggling with your description of 'oily' with regards to butter. What does this mean? Do you find it too fatty?

dms01, Mar 27, 2:36am
the white stuff is milk solids, if it wasn't there you would have ghee (clarified butter)

uli, Mar 27, 3:19am
No - I have made butterfat (also called ghee) many times in my life - this is not what we talk about.
A "clean" butter may have some residual water in it from washing - but not 20% of the 500g lump is white liquid - which is obviously butter milk that hasn't been cleaned out ...

maxwell.inc, Mar 27, 3:33am
I've found what its called - that white watery substance.

Its actually a French term - petit lait ... it simply means... Whey

uli, Mar 27, 3:39am
Whey or buttermilk - whatever ... it is the liquid leftover once you have made butter - AND it should be washed out with lots of very cold water.
Otherwise the butter gets rancid in record time - which NZ butter does LOL :)

maxwell.inc, Mar 27, 3:42am
You should see how fast it goes rancid when its kept in a glass "butter dish" in the pantry in summer or in the hot water cupboard in winter... yus my MIL does this. . got to have soft butter you know. . never mind the fact that it even SMELLS rancid. . let alone the bright sun jacket yellow shade it gets lol

But as I keep getting told... people her age are "too old to change" lmao

uli, Mar 27, 3:49am
Yep - the government doesn't like it though ...

maxwell.inc, Mar 27, 3:58am
AH HA! Look at this!

"Whey cream is a byproduct of cheese manufacturing. When milk is curdled to make cheese, it separates into two parts: the mass that will become the cheese, and a watery compound called whey, part of which is cream.

Today’s economic climate finds companies seeking to profit from every possible aspect of their production; nothing is discarded if it can be used in some way or sold. Having discovered that whey cream can be made into butter, cheese companies sell the whey cream to butter companies.

Why would a butter company add whey cream to its products? The answer again is economics; whey cream is less expensive than sweet cream. If a company can successfully make butter by using whey cream, the company stands to save money. "

The butter WE can make at home we would be making with what is known in the industry as "Sweet cream" (normal cream we can buy in bottles)... . its cheaper to use whey however... resulting in ... left over whey in the product!

st_allie, Mar 27, 4:11am
hey maxwell. .

Have you got a link to the whole article?

very interesting indeed...

maxwell.inc, Mar 27, 4:13am
Nup too late LOL closed the page

Google Whey in butter lots of info out there.