Beef wellingtons

shelly12c, Nov 9, 2:43am
what to put inside the pastry apart from beef???? do you make a jus or put anything esle in with the beef
????
tia

kiwitrish, Nov 9, 2:47am
This is one of my favourite dishes to make.I always brown my meat offfirst, then when cool I cover the meat with cracked pepper pate and press into the pate sliced mushrooms that I have fried in butter for a few minutes.Then I wrap it all up in flakey pastry and bake.Making my mouth water just thinking about it.

shelly12c, Nov 9, 3:37am
mmmmmm yum, if only we had some pate, damn living so far from town

deus701, Nov 9, 4:00am
a mushroom paste/duxelle

lindar, Nov 9, 4:49am
I was told that the "browning" of the meat should be where most of the cooking for it is done, then cooled before putting on pate, mushrooms or whatever.The oven cooking is to cook the pastry (and reheat the meat). We did this the last few times and has been delicious.

munrotti, Nov 9, 9:49am
What cut of beef do you use?

illusion_, Nov 9, 10:24am
eye fillet

popelka1, Nov 9, 10:39pm
I saw a variation on this on Rachel Ray yesterday. She used ready rolled puff pastry, cooked turkey breasts, stuffing, mushroom duxelle, and cranberry sauce, and just made a parcel so to speak, with fillings layered one on top of the other, then egg washed. she also did another twist and did one with pate and turkey, they come out looking very yummy. I was thinking of trying it for dinner tonight.

toeblister, Nov 10, 1:05am
Hi lindar, at what temp did you cook it and for how long? :)

iriegirl, Nov 10, 1:26am
If its any help I cook mine at 220C for ten minutes then reduce heat to 190/180C for 15 minutes to get a reasonable medium rare steak

cookessentials, Jul 25, 11:49am
1 kg piece beef eye-fillet
2 tablespoons oil
200g pate'
375g packet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
Mushroom filling:
30g butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
400g mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons plain flour
Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
125mldry red wine
250mlbeef stock
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Tie beef with string at 3cm intervals. Heat oil in pan, add beef, cook until well browned all over; cool. Remove string from beef. Reserve 1½ tablespoons pan juices for sauce. Spread pate all over beef, then spread with mushroom filling.
Roll pastry on floured surface to a rectangle large enough to enclose beef. Lightly brush edges of pastry with egg. Wrap pastry around beef, press edges to seal, place seam side down on greased oven tray, decorate with pastry leaves, if desired; brush with remaining egg. Bake at 220°C for 10 minutes, reduce heat to moderate, bake further 30 minutes or until beef is cooked as desired. Serve beef sliced with sauce.
Mushroom filling: Heat butter in pan, add onion, cook, stirring, until soft. Add mushrooms and wine, cook, stirring, until mushrooms are soft and liquid is evaporated. Add flour, cook, stirring, until mixture is thickened; cool.
Sauce: Heat reserved pan juices in pan, add flour, stir over heat until browned. Remove from heat, gradually stir in wine, stock and sauce. Stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens; strain.