Venison

dairymaid, Nov 3, 8:07pm
Please Please someone help !!!! anyone out there with a Recipe for venison. A friend has given us a hind quarter of venison. Some one told me you can not roast as it will dry out. but someone may know another way of cooking, PLEASE

beaker59, Nov 3, 9:02pm
I hunt and what I would do with it is separate into the big muscle groups the major upper ones cut into steacks about 2 cm thick and fry them in a very hot pan til med rare rest for 5 min before serving. The smaller pieces and lower leg bits which are a bit gristly I would either mince (makes great burgers) or casserole just like you would beef. Long and slow as Venison is def a meat which you cook either fast or slow there is no middle ground.

It can be roasted long and slow with care but I rarely bother as generally it is far better fried or casseroled.

beaker59, Nov 3, 9:31pm
I should add check how long it has been hung if its fresh then put in fridge in a pillow case or meat bag (no plastic or gladwrap) leave it there for a week minimum maybe two or more. don't freeze until aged.

Another nice way is to fast roast use a muscle group like the silverside remove the silverskin as best as possible (don't get too fussy) then in a cast iron oven proof pan sear the meat well in lots of fat (beef or pork is good) then place pan and meat in a very hot oven for 10 min remove meat and rest for 10 min or more on bench before carving meat should be well browned and carramelised on the outside with pink to almost rare center.

Tip off the excess fat then brown some flour in the pan add plums (I alsouse my homemade plum jam for this) (or prunes, blackcurrants, red wine)and favourite herbs and spices then stock (chicken is good) stirring well to make a sweet rich fruity gravy. mmmmmm a few carrots and potatoes and wilted spinach or simmilar and that is some meal.

rainrain1, Nov 3, 10:53pm
Venison Supreme
Cut meat into cubes

Combine:
1+1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp mustard
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup red wine
Pour over meat marinade for 2 hours. Dip meat in flour and brown in hot oil. Replace meat in marinade.
Add:
1 sliced onion
1/2 cup mushrooms
2 cups water
1 sliced green pepper
1pkt chicken soup powder
Simmer in pan or casserole for 2+1/2 hrs

bean45, Nov 3, 11:21pm
Vension is fine to roast

I roast hind quarter like this.

Oven Bag place vension hind quarter.
Add to the vension roast onion
1/4 cup red wine.
salt and Pepper
mix of herbs
sage
thyme
rosemary
this gives flavour .
BAke slowly for 2hours at 150.c
Check by searing with knife
if blood still in meat give another 1hour and increase heat to 180.c
Sauce
Use Bisto gravy powderbut not to thck
serve

e_babe, Nov 3, 11:32pm
I cook steaks on BBQ but I do roasts all the time never a problem, I use an oven bag and add liquid to stop it drying out.

uli, Nov 3, 11:52pm
dairymaid - are you still following?

dairymaid, Jul 12, 12:19pm
no not following now given that lark up for cleaner persuits