Venison in the slow cooker.....

janedoe1, Jul 22, 12:48pm
Any ideas? I've looked on google but very limited. It's getting late so thought I might put it on for 8 hours from now, then re-heat for dinner. Not sure what to put with it though... ... .

sam284, Jul 22, 7:57pm
here you are Jane. . its lovely!
1 kg Venison, cubed.
1 large Onion, finely chopped.
1/4 tsp Nutmeg.
1 tsp Paprika.
1/4 cup flour.
1 tsp dried Thyme.
1/2 tsp Salt
freshly ground black pepper.
2/3 cup water.
6 Tblspns Port.
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced.

1. Place the Venison and Onion in the crockpot.
2. Combine the Nutmeg, Paprika, Flour, Thyme, Salt and Pepper and sprinkle over the meat. Toss to mix.
3. Pour the Water and Port over the meat. Stir well.
4. Cover with lid and cook on low/auto for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
5. Half an hour before serving, add the Mushrooms and turn the control to high. cover with lid and complete the cooking.

ballito, Jul 22, 10:13pm
Just treat it as you would any other casserole/stew being cooked in the crockpot. I cook venison a lot and this is all I do. People do get carried away with trying to add a lot of different seasonings i. e. red win, juniper berries etc but I never do. We eat venison 2 - 3 or even four times a week in our house and I never do anything different to it.

rainrain1, Jul 23, 6:53am
But venison is delicious with red wine, mushrooms, onions, tomato paste, a sprig of rosemary added, and cooked in the slow cooker... . mmmmmmmm ! ! !

calista, Jul 23, 12:19pm
Can I please come and live at your place?

janedoe1, Jul 23, 12:54pm
thanks everyone, what i did was follow all your directions kind of... . it was wild venison bred and shot on a farm. not sure what the cut was but put it in the slow cooker and took advice from you guys, it turned out very very yummy. i'm a vegeterian but my son loved it. thanks so much for all your help. (and if you ever want some free rangevenison at a good price let me know). thanks.

ronnoc, Jul 26, 4:38am
yes I would LOVE to purchase some venison, my daughter loves it! ! I asked her the other evening what she would like for dinner and the response "Something simple, umm venison" - had to laugh. She is 9.

nfh1, Nov 30, 4:54pm
and me - I love venison!