I need the best venison stew recipe

tonnes, Sep 25, 5:28pm
One of the super cooks out there, must have the answer

cgvl, Sep 25, 11:07pm
i use my favourite beef stew/casserole recipe.
Onion, red wine, mushrooms if I can and a couple of rashers of bacon, can add carrots, garlic, ginger, celery, also add stock, salt and pepper.
To be honest I really just throw whatever into my casserole dish and season to taste. But if you have some red wine do add it, it does make a difference IMO

beaker59, Sep 25, 11:47pm
I do the same as cgvl works well every time remember to brown the meat first and it will be delicious. Also nothing is compulsory as long as you like it it goes in.

Venison stroganov works well too.

winnie231, Sep 26, 12:04am
My recipe is along the same lines as above ...
brown venison & onions, add to casserole dish along with garlic, bay leaves, horopito (NZ bush pepper), salt, mushrooms & red wine. Cook nice and slow (around 150C for 3hrs ... ish).
I thicken with cornflour before serving.

rainrain1, Sep 26, 4:41am
Likewise but with tomato paste and a tin of tomatoes

karenz, Sep 26, 4:51am
Very similar to most of the above, coat with cornflour and brown in oil or butter, then cook onions and garlic, halved button mushrooms or sliced portobello mushrooms, put venison back in pan, splash with red wine and cook for a few minutes, then add a tin of crushed tomatoes, a few tablespoons of tomato paste and a teaspoon of Juniper berries.Slow cook until venison is tender and sauce is reduced. Add salt and ground black pepper if you think it needs it.

peter148, Sep 26, 5:09am
I've cooked a lot of venison stews, and similar to the above suggestions, brown the meat with a bit of flour, cook in a Crockpot on low all day with Stoganov (I use a dry power sachet), onion, potato, mushrooms, red wine and tomato.
Mushrooms are the mostimportant ingredient to add.

rainrain1, Apr 18, 8:17am
Oh....and a sprig of rosemary...most important!!