Does this beetroot chutney recipe seem right?

griffo4, Nov 3, 7:37pm
This beetroot chutney recipe from the book "A Good Spread" doesn't seem right
l emailed the Rural Women and l haven't had a reply so thought l would ask on here

Beetroot Chutney
1kg peeled beetroot
750g peeled onions
1kg sugar
1 dessertspoon salt
1 dessertspoon allspice
75ml vinegar?
2 1/2 heaped tablespoons cornflour

My question is it only has 75mls vinegar and with the 1kg sugar it would seem too sweet
l was wondering if it should read 750mls vinegar

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

245sam, Nov 3, 7:58pm
griffo4, I share your thoughts that the recipe has an error re the vinegar quantity - here are the quantities for Digby Law's Beetroot and Mint Chutney.....

1.25 Kg beetroot, 250g raisins, 2 onions, 1 tbsp each of salt and allspice, 4 whole black peppercorns, 150g brown sugar, 2 cups white vinegar, 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint.

Note that the sugar quantity is only 150g but the raisins would also add sweetness and then there are 2 cups vinegar.With the recipe you have posted I would think that 750ml (3 cups) would be more correct, otherwise as you suggest, the chutney IMO would be too sweet.:-))

dairymaid, Nov 3, 8:21pm
I think the vinegar is not right, I alway make Beetroot Relish which has tomatoes in it
1.81kg Beetroot cooked and diced
1.36kg Tomatoes
1 1/2 Bottles vinegar 1.125Litres
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3 Large onions
907 Grams Sugar
6 tsp Salt

Boil for 20 min then thicken with some Cornflour with 1 tsp Tumaric.
seal in sterilized jars.A very nice relish

griffo4, Nov 3, 10:54pm
Thanks 245sam and dairymaid l thought it would more likely be 750mls but thought l would ask
Thanks again now just need my beetroot to grow

griffo4, Nov 10, 6:51am
An update
l got an email back from rural women to say it was meant to be 750mls vinegar and no one had picked up the error
but it was in the previous book with the right amounts

gardie, Jul 26, 2:05am
The 1 kgsugar also seems a lot to me.