Nice tasting substitutes for dairy foods.

Page 3 / 3
buzzy110, Jul 11, 4:43am
To make ALMOND NUT MILK:

You need:
A decent blender
A very fine mesh bag or cloth for straining
Raw Almonds (or any nuts) with skin still on
Water - preferablyfiltered or natural spring water

Method:
Put however many nuts you want into a jar
Cover with filtered or spring water and soak for 18 hours, changing the water at least once
Drain
To every cup of nuts add 2 cups of water (as above) - or twice the amount of water as their are soaked nuts
Blend like crazy till the nuts are just a fine pulp
Pour into the straining bag or cloth over a bowl or jug.
Squeeze till it is as dry as you can get it
Dry the pulp in a dehydrator (if you have one) or in a very low oven and save to use in cooking

This milk is very nice. To make it more 'almondy and thicker' use less water.

buzzy110, Jul 11, 4:52am
Using left over dried almond pulp

Lisa's Apple Pie

Ingredients:
2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped or grated
4 eggs
1 cup of cream
As much almond pulp as you want - no less than 1 cup
A tablespoon of sugar or 4 tiny scoops of stevia or a tablespoon of honey
tspn Cinnamon
Dash Nutmeg
(any other spices you like - such as allspice)
Raisins to taste (I use Xmas fruit mince because I have made jars of the stuff)
½ cup Toasted Coconut (optional)

Method:
Mix up the whole lot and bake @ 180D for 45 mins or until cooked through.

Notes:
I made this up. You can make up similar treats. The quantity of ingredients is approximate, and can be altered to suit yourself. I add more eggs and more cream. You can also add, substitute or subtract anything you like. It is up to you. You can add cocoa powder if you want something chocolatey. I use pre-fermented cocoa powder in my baking now.

kay141, Jul 11, 5:06am
God, bunny51 asked for substitutes for dairy and we get the same old boring arguments, with websites, for and against soy. Some new soapboxes would be nice.

hestia, Jul 11, 5:08am
This information is out of date. Now that the detrimental effects of trans fats are known, food companies have changed their formulations of margarine so that they contain no trans fats, or very small amounts of trans fats.

buzzy110, Jul 11, 5:21am
Are you saying that we should all just shut up about feeding youngsterstwice treated and coloured cheap, chemically extracted, deodorised, bleached, coloured and emulsified oils because you personally do not wish to hear about it again.

You do not need to read my posts hestia, and kay. I really care about the health of people, and especially youngsters so if I can impart any information that may help their mother make good, informed choices then I will and too bad whether you like it or not.

And despite what you say, while hydrogenation may be going out of style (and that was made clear in the post) who knows what other dangerous process they are using to harden up the liquid oils that make up margarine? Why make children guinea pigs of some new process?