Nice tasting substitutes for dairy foods.

Page 2 / 3
bunny51, Oct 30, 6:26am
LOL. anyway i think i will have to findsomething other than soy milk as she doesnt like it. I went to the library today lookingfor the book but they don't have it (And other books were all out )i have looked at the web site. Is this basically the recomendations mentioned in the book?(Til i cN TRAck down a copy- adm sorry about the typing long story, am sure you aren't i twrested lol) andywa- to avoid processed foods (this was recommended by gp too along with cook meals etc from scratch) and eat organic where possible? and anything else I need to knowthanks everyone

prendy1, Oct 30, 7:59am
I have a dairy-free diet, and one of my must haves is hummus. It's great on crackers, sandwiches or as a dip. It can be a replacement for butter or cheese depending on how you use it.
I use olive oil a lot for cooking and drizzling, and you'd be amazed how a squeeze of lemon juice can replace butter on veges, rice or pasta!
Homemade pizza is just as yummy without cheese.
I drinkl soy milk, but your daughter might like rice milk as I believe it has a more delicate taste.
Good luck!

uli, Oct 30, 7:59am
If it is science you want then you can start reading abstracts here:

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/07abstract.htm

Once you have read through all that then there is quite a bit about soy politics and other stuff on that site.

bunny51, Oct 30, 9:02am
prendy thank you for your ideas. Do you make your own hummus or buy it? (If you make it would you mind sharing your recipe please?) It will also go very nicely in her lunch box with some vege sticks. and also, how do you get the toppings on your pizzas to stick there? (I have been wondering what to do about pizzas because she does like pizzas but couldn't think how to get the toppings to stick. Lol

buzzy110, Oct 30, 10:25am
No. My facts do not come from propaganda. Mine come from random books that I have read, authored by people who have no axe to grind either way and often only mention soy in passing. I have even read negative information about soy written by none other than a vegetarian.

buzzy110, Oct 30, 10:29am
bunny one of her recommendations is to use cream in place of milk. And I mean if something calls for milk to be poured over (i.e. a breakfast cereal) then cream is what she uses. And before you have a heart attack (no pun intended) you should see the photos of her and her children. All three are slim and trim and I don't believe the photos have been photoshopped..

bunny51, Oct 30, 10:46am
well that advice is a bit different to what is normally advised. So is it a step back to the type of diets our grandmothers would have had? (Eg full fat foods, no packet of this or that, fresh veges and fruit,etc- )

ferita, Oct 30, 6:50pm
I wouldnt even bother with that site. It is obviously a site made by people trying to scare monger.

If soy was so unhealthy why have we not seen our hospitals full of people who have been injured by soy products.

In asia they eat soy a lot more then us and have done so for a lot longer then us, why has there been no outcry over all the so called problems soy has created for them?

Your pro meat anti, anti vegetarianism is getting a bit ordinary now. You are grasping at straws to discredit vegetarianism and frankly it has become humorous.

ferita, Oct 30, 6:52pm
And breed obese children prone to heart attacks.. no thanks.
Probably one of the most dangerous pieces of advice to come from you.

uli, Oct 30, 10:02pm

hestia, Oct 31, 12:00am
Asians eat a lot of soy, specifically the Chinese and Japanese, and they live long and healthy lives.

Real information does not come from the internet. Search your local library for books on nutrition, if only to read what they say about soy.

rosathemad, Oct 31, 12:40am
Thanks guys.

I am aware that websites are unlikely to be a good source of impartial information. I tend to look to academic research - books on nutrition are also generally subject to whatever biases the author has, and can be just as contradictory - I'm sure I could easily find many books to back both sides of this argument. Ah, life is tricky! ;-)

hestia, Oct 31, 1:03am
Never mind, then.

greerg, Oct 31, 1:13am
This hummus recipe was posted ages ago by Juliewn.I think it's excellent and very easy.

"Hummus is one of those things that you can make as you want it to be. I prefer to cook my own chickpeas as they have a nicer flavour - or you can use the canned ones, drained well. Place a couple of cups of chickpeas in a food processor. Add a clove or two of fresh garlic, 1-2 tsps of tahini ( a sesame seed paste available at supermarkets) and the juice of one or two lemons. Whizz till smooth. (For extra taste add some drained sundried tomatoes and whizz again till smooth - or till slightly chunky if you want). Season to taste. Some people add olive or canola oil to their hummous - we prefer a non-oily fresher taste, and often add the juice of 5-6 lemons - we love lemons! Once as you want it, place in jars with lids - Craigs jam jar size is good. Keep in the fridge and use within a few days. I keep one in the fridge, and place the rest in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge when needed.

TOP TIP: I soak a kilo of chickpeas overnight at a time and cook them in the slow cooker till tender. than freeze in little pottles. Just use the quantities you want for hummus.In the food processor-add what ever-chilli-sesame seed garlic olive oil,salt. posted by lilyfield

Variations:
Leave out the sundried tomatoes for a standard hummous. Add and whizz in some de-seeded olives, or some roasted or boiled kumara or pumpkin, or fresh herbs - parsley goes particularly well with hummous. Or use pineapple sage, lemon balm, basil etc. If you use quite a lot of herbs in the mix, you'll end up with a cross between hummous and pesto - which also tastes good. You can't go wrong - have a go and create your own masterpieces..

bunny51, Oct 31, 1:25am
greerg wrote:
This hummus recipe was posted ages ago by Juliewn.I think it's excellent and very easy.

awesome, thank you I will make that it will go well in lunch boxes.

frances1266, Oct 31, 4:13am
It is not necessary to soak chickpeas before cooking them in a crock pot.Kidney beans need to be soaked and boiled hard for 10 mins but other pulses can be put straight into a crockpot and cooked.Saves having to think in advance!

buzzy110, Nov 9, 10:38pm
What part of slim and trim didn't you understand? Cream doesn't make you obese or give you heart attack. If that were the case I would have had a heart attack at some stage in my youth because we ate cream almost daily when I was growing up.

hestia, Nov 10, 12:12am
Her daughter is on a dairy free diet. She can't have cream.

motorbo, Nov 10, 12:15am
i have used coconut milk to make stove top rice pudding and it was very nice, i occasionally have soy milk, just as soemtimes i have trim cows milk and sometimes i have rice or goats milk. i like variety

visionspring, Nov 10, 12:44am
Oh don't forget about oat milk! I saw some in New World once, might be harder to get hold of? My mum went dairy free and went through testing soy milk, almond milk and rice milk but found that oat milk was the nicest.

The pancake recipe was modded from this video - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-coconut-pancakes-and-waffles -I loosely followed it and eyeballed the ingredients :) Hope this helps!

sarah1024, Jul 10, 9:08am
good substitute for butter is margarine - golden canola lite does not have dairy in it, neither does flora lite. Just check the ingredients as some margarines have dairy and some don't. I am diary free and use it in all my biscuits. Turns out a bit crumbly if you add what the receipe states so just add about a tablespoon more. I use the good old edmonds cook book and adjust to suit i.e. soy milk instead of cows milk, margarine instead of butter

buzzy110, Jul 11, 1:43am
What is better - butter or margarine?:

"Butter is a saturated fat, naturally solid at room temperature and it has a natural colour. Margarine is an imitation of butter.

Part of the imitation process is to take liquid oils, usually cheap and low quality vegetable oils, and then turn them into solid fats in some way. Hydrogenation is one way, increasingly less acceptable nowadays but still done. In this process the oils are heated and pressurised and hydrogen gas is added, along with a catalyst, like nickel, to produce the chemical reaction. This helps the oils to ‘accept’ the hydrogen atoms. The hydrogen atoms don’t end up exactly where they ‘should’. Some end up on the wrong side of the structure. You end up not with a saturated fat, but with a completely new fat completely alien to the body.

The substance at the end of this process is grey, smelly and lumpy, so it is bleached, deodorised and emulsifiers are added to smooth things over. The mandatory vitamins are added in at this stage because none could have survived that process. Finally, the stuff needs some butter colour to make it look edible."

Why would an unnatural product with fats that the body doesn't even recognise, so cannot metabolise, and with well documented risks of being dangerous for heart and coronary health over the long term, be suitable for a food sensitive youngster?

kay141, Jul 11, 3:06am
Just a tip about the recommendations for coconut milk and cream. One of my granddaughters is allergic to nuts and this includes coconut in all forms.

blt10, Jul 11, 3:59am
Fruit smoothies on cereals or if they are not allergic to nuts there's nut milk.

buzzy110, Jul 11, 4:37am
When I make almond nut milk I ensure that the nuts are soaked till they begin to germinate. the takes about 18 hours. Most people are allergic to nuts because they eat them without ensuring that the lectins (plant insecticides), phytates (anti-nutrients that bind with minerals such as magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc so that they are not absorbed but excreted) and enzyme inhibitors (which prevent the nut from germinating until conditions are right) are fully neutralised. These elements make nuts, in susceptible individuals quite toxic to their systems and difficult for their bodies to metabolise them.