Nice tasting substitutes for dairy foods.

Page 1 / 3
bunny51, Oct 29, 1:35am
(I have also asked in parnting but thought I could ask here too and get a different perspective) anyway, my daughter (7) is on a dairy free diet to try and get her eczema under control and was wondering which are the best substitutes for dairy foods available. (And since this is recipes, maybe a few recipes would be nice too lol

visionspring, Oct 29, 2:18am
coconut milk or cream - tastes great drizzled over some berries + chopped roasted walnuts :) I have recently gone dairy free and use just a tiny tiny splash of coconut milk in my coffee and tea as well ~ some people don't like it though.

bunny51, Oct 29, 2:45am
Do you know if the coconut milk would taste nice in baking? I was thinking it may taste nicer than soy milk (ANd the berries with coconut mmilk drizzled over sounds very nice I will have to try that .)

visionspring, Oct 29, 3:01am
ohh I'm not sure about baking, but I have used it to make coconut pancakes! Should work fine in place of the milk in a normal pancake recipe? Lets see if anyone knows about this :)

My coconut pancakes were made with coconut milk, a little bit of ground almonds, tiny bit of dessicated coconut. You can add honey to this if you want as a sweetener, but I left it out as I had mine with heaps of sweet fruit on top :) The batter was runnier than normal but it held up wonderfully once cooked.

davidt4, Oct 29, 3:05am
I've used coconut milk in baking in the past and it results in cakes with a slightly heavier texture (presumably because it is higher fat and solids than cows' milk) but they are still perfectly acceptable and taste very nice.But what do you use in place of butter in baked goods?

bunny51, Oct 29, 3:14am
I just replace the butter with oil in muffins not so sure about biscuits or cakes (Might have to stick to recipes that use oil anyway. ) Or maybe use fruit puree in some things. GUess I will just have to experiment and see what appens lol. (It is mostly jsut to pop inher lunch box, she may have to have more vege sticks with humousand popcorn etc. -anyone got any nice recipes for humous? )

bunny51, Oct 29, 3:15am
[My coconut pancakes were made with coconut milk, a little bit of ground almonds, tiny bit of dessicated coconut. You can add honey to this if you want as a sweetener, but I left it out as I had mine with heaps of sweet fruit on top :) The batter was runnier than normal but it held up wonderfully once cooked.[/quote]
Those pancakes sound really tasty. DO you have a recipe or di dyou adapt an already existing recipe?

rosathemad, Oct 29, 3:24am
I make a banana coconut loaf which uses oil (no butter) and coconut milk - it's sooooo tasty. I'm always a fan of recipes that seem to intend not to have dairy/whatever ingredient you're trying to avoid rather than using substitutes. :-)

Recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/10/banana-coconut-loaf.html

bunny51, Oct 29, 3:30am
That looks very nice. I will definately make that. It will be for everyone else though as said child does not like banana cake lol

marcs, Oct 29, 5:03am
seach for Pam's pumpkin spice loaf. That has no dairy in it. Not sure what else is out there but if you google dairy free baking or recipes you are bound to come up with things.

marcs, Oct 29, 5:12am
Just remembered that is dairy free and gluten free.

6 eggs
225g castor sugar,
200g ground almond (almond meal)
70g coconut thread
1 heaped tsp baking powder
300g frozen or fresh raspberries or any berries you prefer.

this makes a 20cm cake . Oven at 190c (less 10 - 15 deg if fan forced)

Beat eggs and sugar till combined. Add the dry ingredients and fold in till combined. Add rapberries and fold till combined. Pour into a lined tin and bake for about 50 mins - an hour till a skwere inserted comes out clean.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 5:12am
Does dairy free include butter and cream? Usually the problem component of dairy is lactose and that is not found in the cream. Just wondering what the medical professional who recommended the diet had to say about this.

Have you read Jenna's Journey by Rachel Tomkinson. The photos of her baby could reduce you to tears but her mother studied the problem like crazy and in just 3 short months the photos show a completely different story. Rachel wrote a book to help others. It is a tiny book, took me less than an hour to read but is so full of help and information that I think every parent of children with eczema should read it.

Your library will have it.

bunny51, Oct 29, 5:21am
I haven't read the book and haven't seen it at the library. I will ask if they have it though as a few people have recommended it. At the moment it is all dairy (THeory being is it may be the protein she is reacting to rather than the lactose, especially as she was lactose free (Apart from breastmilk lol) till she was at least 2 due to other siblings also being lactose intollerant and this had little or no effect on her eczema.(If this has no effect then we have to try gluten free diet instead and have been referred to the dermatologist but we have to be patient as we will have a long wait.)

buzzy110, Oct 29, 5:57am
The easiest way to find a book in the library is to log into their online catalogue, type in either the author or book title into the search engine and, voila, if they have it, it will appear. If it is not in your library and has to be ordered from another library, I just request it and eventually my library rings me up and I just go and collect it off the ordered shelf. It is a very civilised, and extremely efficient system. I haven't had to search a library shelf for years now. Someone else does it for me.

ferita, Oct 29, 6:54am
Just use soya or rice milk

You can get soy ice cream and even soy yoghurt

Dont listen to the idiots who say soya is unhealthy. They dont have a clue

bunny51, Oct 29, 7:55am
Have you tasted the soy yoghurt? If so does it taste nice? I saw some in the supermarket today and it was something like $8 for 4 little pottles. I know the ice cream is nice (Or it was when my older kids had limited dairy but that was a while ago.)

bunny51, Oct 29, 8:03am
Buzzy I'm not sure if our library has an online catalogue. And I don't think they have iner library loans(Or if they do it would actually probably be cheaper to buy the book. lol) but it sounds like a good system at your library. They are very helpfula t our library though, I spent ages looking for a book at the library this morning for another daughter and couldn't find it(THe computer said it was "newly delivered" but do you think I could find it eventually I found out that that meant it was upstairs where it may stay for days/weeks or months depending on when it got processed. We eventually found anther copy hidden with the older books (THe book I was looking for was "Anne FRank's Diary" would have thought it would be easy to find...)Not that any of what I just wrote has anything to do with dairy free or eczema. Do you have a family member with eczema Buzzy? and if so what things did you find hepful?

buzzy110, Oct 29, 9:59am
Actually, no I don't but my DH does have a similar problem. However I have basically been living most of the advice anyway and as a consequence he is doing well. I only read the book because it was recommended to me by a poster on another thread, and ever a reader, I went and got it and sandwiched it in between all my other books that I like to plough my way through.

I have a philosophy about serendipity and this book was just sent to me for a reason. I never ignore fate. It cost me very little time to read and it was available from my library so I just read it and I firmly recommend you do the same. It may be relevant to your condition or it may not.

nfh1, Oct 29, 10:08am
bunny - the book that buzzy is recommending will be worth a read I am sure.I went to one of Rachel's Seminars and the change in her daughters condition is unbelievable.You can buy her book on-line or just have a look at her site, she has a tremendous amount of info on there.

I do not have eczema and to be honest just went to the seminar out of interest but I was amazed at the transformation in her daughter.Got to be worth a try - good luck.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 10:08am
Maybe you might like to consider just what it is about soy that makes some of us 'idiots who don't have a clue' avoid it like it was pure poison.

We all have free will and if eating a plant product that should ideally be fermented for at least 18mths before it is rendered fit for human consumption, is what you want, then that is your prerogative. We 'idiots' don't have anything to lose when others eat soy. Our lives and health are not in the least bit affected when others eat this toxic substance and feed it to their own families.

nfh1, Oct 29, 10:11am
bunny have a look at this site

http://www.betterbods.co.nz/about.html

I am in no way connected to this person or the site but I think you may find it interesting.

bunny51, Oct 29, 7:26pm
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have had a look at the web site and it was very interesting. It looks like the book and it's advice will be helpful for more than just eczema. I will definately be looking for and reading the book. (a change in diet has got to be better than the gradually stronger steroid creams and almost constant rounds of antibiotics that she is on in an effort to get her eczema under control.-it is so far proving to be ineffectual anyway.)

madjen, Oct 29, 7:43pm
Hey there...my son is unable to have any dairy or egg products due to anaphylaxis.There are heaps of tasty receipes available that use dairy free marg's and or oil and or soy milk.I personally cant stand soy milk but can definately say the strong soy flavour does not come thru in baking.I still use a lot of edmonds cookbook receipes and just replace the butter for marg, milk for soy and in my case the egg with an oil replacer...Good luck

ferita, Oct 30, 4:16am
What a load of absolute rubbish.
Your statements are not backed up by facts and you get all your information from anti soy propaganda sites (that are probably run by the dairy industry).

Perhaps instead of being misled by the rubbish you are reading you should do some proper research.
You may want to start here
http://www.soyfacts.com.au/

rosathemad, Oct 30, 5:39am
ferita, I don't know for myself whether to believe the propaganda of either side of the argument - but the site you point to is run by Sanitarium, who make a range of soy-based products so will be just as biased as info from the dairy industry.

I am interested in learning more about soy, and its benefits or otherwise, but would look to impartial research, if indeed any does exist (it's so hard to find research on these sorts of issues which is not somehow funded by one side or the other).

Incidentally, I had a crippling intolerance to the stuff for a couple of years - I eat it again now as the problem seems to have gone, but it clearly doesn't work for everyone!