Fish fingers anyone else eat supermarket varieties

Page 2 / 2
fisher, Oct 27, 11:24pm
no uli... to be honest, the closest I have been to Basa is through the glass window of a fish market.. so in this case I bow to other peoples opinions.. I have eaten Hoki once maybe twice but it really is NOT a fish I like very much, if at all... as I said, I am lucky to be able to have other better known fish at hand..
What sort of fish is he selling from his trawler cookie ???

kay141, Oct 28, 12:29am
When I first came to Wgton, I was staying in an CBD apartment, got sick of eating out and with limited kitchen facilities, thought I would cook a steak. One lunchtime went to a butcher in the CBD, ordered one piece of porterhouse. Got told " here you lady, just killed this morning" Got quite upset when I said No thanks, got any killed last week. The locals at work did not understand what I was talking about. Hence my comment of maybe that is what sells here.

witche, Oct 28, 12:45am
I wouldn't eat any commercial fish finger, I use to work in a fish factory years ago and they put the worst baracuda fillets into them. They were absolutely disgusting riddled with worms some so much you could hardly see any flesh. These fillets were put in box and marked P grade I use to think P for putrid.But in saying that is was about 20yrs ago so may have changed by now.

cookessentials, Oct 28, 12:54am
Not sure fisher, when we stayed at the B&B in Eastbourne a couple of weeks ago, our hosts told us about him and sure enough, he was there when we drove into town. He has his trawler pulled up at the jetty and sells direct from there.

cookessentials, Oct 28, 1:01am
This is the Wairarapa one fisher
http://www.splashzone.co.nz/

They seem to have a reasonable choice including blue cod and terakihi ( which I really enjoy) they also at times, get crayfish.

cookessentials, Oct 28, 1:02am
I always remember also that snapper feed around the sewer outlets in and around Auckland Harbour and I wouldnt fancy fish out of the Manakau either, not when you see all the black jet fuel residue that comes out of the sky as the jets pass overhead.

kay141, Oct 28, 1:40am
Thanks but Evans Bay is a long way from here on public transport.

cookessentials, Oct 28, 1:45am
There is also a fish place in Petone.

kay141, Oct 28, 1:54am
I have found the best is at the Riverbank Market on a Saturday. Must admit though I have never considered making fish fingers with anything I bought. I'm more into easy cooking. The post about the $25 supermarket lot was something I noticed yesterday. I would never buy Basa and I would not pay anything like that for fish that had been frozen and thawed before sale.

uli, Oct 28, 4:14am
Most of the cheap fish fillets in supermarkets are actually from fish which was frozen - then shipped and filleted in Asia - then frozen and back to NZ to sell in the supermarket...

Sometimes you get "NZ filleted gurnard" - I got some a few weeks back and it was dearer than snapper ...

fisher, Jun 28, 1:00pm
Bad enough here in NZ... all too often see guys come back with a haul of nice pannie size snapper left all over the boat floor, left out in the hot blazing sun... These fish get that silvery sheen and are completely a waste from being of edible quality... Our kept fish are ikied immediately and placed in an ice slurry made from ice and salt water..
When we get them home, they are supple and still have retained their beautiful colour.. nothing better to whack the fillets off and into the frypan...we are so blessed in this country..
Cookie... the reason I asked was to see what they catch in that area and they have some awesome fish in their range to choose from...