Milk - $4 at veg shop, $5.10 at supermarket

playfair, Feb 19, 8:51am
2L Claci Trim (Yellow top) milk

In east Auckland.

Anyone else notice the difference - In different parts of NZ?

Please share any other super expensive grocery charges and how to save $.

duckmoon, Feb 19, 10:05am
there are some stores which use milk (or bananas) as a "leader-loss"...

people will shop for particular items when at a good price/on special...

I suspect that the fruit shop will choose not to make any/much profit on the milk, knowing that people will come for the milk, and then purchase their fruit and vege at the store

gerry64, Feb 19, 10:37am
yes duckmoon it is all about lost leaders - the fruit shop will be adding it onto other product - so unless you go all over the place using up fuel to buy all the lost leaders you dont win - Woolworths/countdown over here have dropped their milk to $2 for 2 litres to match coles -

dezzie, Feb 19, 4:28pm
I don't think the fruit shops will be selling it as a "leader" product, they are probably still making something on it, just they are used to selling things with way less markup than the supermarkets and carry that ethos on to milk, if fruit and vege shops sold their fruit and vege at the same price as the supermarket, then we wouldn't shop there.
The supermarkets are gouging, and there needs to be a bit of transparency on just how much they are, they will be getting their milk cheaper than the fruit and vege shops as well just because its "bulk" buying, they get the vege cheaper direct from the growers as well, and are apparently very harsh about "their" growers, not even having a roadside stall to sell the "not perfect" produce, the bumpy tomatoes and curly cucumbers end up down a hole in the ground.

lythande1, Feb 19, 7:33pm
2 for $5 here.

lilyfield, Feb 19, 8:00pm
2 for $2.00 if you use milkpowder

lx4000, Feb 19, 8:00pm
http://www.3news.co.nz/The-price-of-milk-and-why-it-is-so-hi
gh/tabid/367/articleID/198601/-
Default.aspx

your yellow tops etc will naturally be different as more has been taken out, added. But no matter what the price, they are making money on milk, just how much changes!

robyn35, Feb 19, 8:14pm
where do you get your milk powder?I often see people saying how much cheaper milk powder is over milk but at the supermarket a packet of milk powder is over $5 and it says on the pack it makes 3l so that is no cheaper than me buying 2 x 2l for $6

motorbo, Feb 19, 8:33pm
ive been buying the longlife milk on special, cheapest option at supermarket lately 1.89 for one litre

griffo4, Feb 19, 8:36pm
Please note that farmers get less than 60c a litre it would be interesting to know how much mark up the supermarkets put on it

Sounds like we need to shop around for best price and l saw on TV that the supermarkets won't guarantee that they will freeze their prices like Fonterra are to do for the rest of the year

firemansgirl, Feb 19, 8:41pm
I buy only Green Valley Dairies milk. It is available in selected stores in Auckland and the Waikato. It does not supply supermarkets. It is beautiful milk, and my local dairy sells is 2 x 2ltrs for $6. It also keeps beyond the Best Before date unlike a lot of other brands on the market. And it is consistently cheaper because the greedy supermarkets aren't putting their whopping markup on it.

elliehen, Feb 19, 9:21pm
I've used it for years, buying skim milk powder and usually picking up whichever generic brand is on special (usually around $9.95 a kilo)The packet recommendation for mixing isjust that.You can mix the milk as thick or as thin as you like (thinner if you have thirsty children sculling it!)

I have a 2.25 litre glass jug and put two cups of powder to the jug (plastic gets smelly - as you'll know from plastic bottles).Often for a tea or coffee I just drop a rounded teaspoon of powder straight into the cup and stir quickly to dissolve.It is surprising how quickly your taste buds adapt to milk powder, either full-cream or skim, and all the original goodies in the milk solids are all there.

uli, Feb 19, 9:33pm
Not that it would taste like real milk though.

lilyfield, Feb 19, 9:48pm
milkpowder at P&S 1 kg for 9.99 makes 10 liters.

lilyfield, Feb 19, 9:51pm
but you get used to it on a budget- Uli. and my guests have never made a comment. Most of them use it anyway. As long as it is well chilled.

I have not bought fresh milk in over 40 years.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 19, 9:55pm
I cant comment on the cost of standard milk as I pay over $3.90 for 1ltr of Organic whole milk.We are on a super tight budget but I don't compromise by buying cheap homogenized milks. Milk as a staple in NZ is way over priced however, all our diary is. And now Fontera are making a point by price freezing it, super markets better stand up and take notice, customers are no longer going to take it up the jacksie!

uli, Feb 19, 9:59pm
In slight contrast - I haven't drunk any bought milk for 25 years - either I have my own from cow or goat - or I buy organic cream :)

elliehen, Feb 20, 12:44am
Another advantage for those (99%?) who can't keep a cow or a goat on the suburban back lawn, you never run out of milk.There's always another packet in the pantry.

coconutbuns, Feb 20, 12:45am
Two x 2 litres for $6 at my local dairy

harrislucinda, Feb 20, 3:02am
geewhenourcowsdryupgoing to beashockhavingtobuythatcrapfrom theshops

dezzie, Feb 20, 3:17am
you can freeze milk harrislucinda, my mum did it for years, its better if you skim it first, because the cream can be "clumpy" when you defrost it, but we used to just stir the hell out of our coffees or teas so the clumps dissolved.
Put it in an ice cream container lined with a good quality plastic bag, that way it freezes in bricks for easy storage, then just put the bag back in a ice cream container on the bench to defrost.

redhead96, Feb 20, 3:23am
finding the pams brand nicer than the anchor & meadow fresh brand.
I find the later name brands go off faster.

uli, Feb 20, 5:00am
Yep!
And I buy the un-homogenised organic milk for whomever needs urgently milk in coffee and tea - which costs a fortune - still no comparison to real milk. The step to milk powder is insurmountable, so I rather buy cream.