Supermarket "Roasties"

4crittersnmee, Apr 27, 9:26pm
...my kids love these but they are ridiculously priced, for our family.Is there a way to make something similar myself? If you don't know what they are: frozen cubes of spud flavoured with something yummy.

Ideas welcome.

ruby19, Apr 27, 9:40pm
I buy agria potatoes, peel & cube to size wanted, boil approx 10 min in salted water, drain, if you can toss them in the colander so it "roughs" up the edges slightly. You could add some seasonings at this stage, then roast in a pre heated oven tray with a drizzle of olive oil Until golden & crispy.
Perhaps garlic salt, or a little paprika,or ground cumin & coriander may be some spices to try, or try pre mixed spices.

olwen, Apr 27, 9:40pm
In our house when we make roast potatoes we cut up the spuds (smallish) then put in a pot and bring to the boil.Drain, then pop into a plastic bag with a couple of tablespoons of flour with salt, pepper and spices.The spices vary but can include cumin, coriander and smoked paprika (or what ever you like),They are tossed then roasted.You could use all sorts of things in the coating mix.Curry power, chilli, herbs, morrocan spice, powdered stock for example (but not all together).

And yes, we prefer agrias.

purplegoanna, Apr 27, 9:52pm
try mixing a cube chicken stock up with salt & pepper then sprinkle onto homemade roasties...always a hit with everyone.

angie461, Apr 27, 9:54pm
cut up spuds and toss in olive oil, parmesan ,garlic and salt and pepper, put into hot oven 190 for about twenty minutes, toss part way through. I usually dont pre cook the potatoes but they are quicker and nicer when you do although my children can't tell the difference. I use agria potatoesas well. you can sprinkle flour over them as well it gives more of a coating if I do this then I sprinkle it over when they are in the pan. The smaller you cut them up the quicker they will cook, we do wedges the same way.

alfredtonroad, Apr 27, 9:56pm
last time i checked (long time ago) the shop bought ones were high in saturated fat so home made should be better if using a little vege oil

beaker59, Apr 27, 10:00pm
I have done the same but prefer to add the whole chicken :) a roast with roast veg is one of the most favourite meals in this house.

As for the others who only use Agria's try varying it a bit there are other Potato varieties which are just as good if not better (agria's are so variable and often dissapointing) but also many other veges as well I include Kumara, parsnip, carrot, beetroot pumkin squash and swedes what ever is available make for a lovely meal

olwen, Apr 27, 10:11pm
Whenever I try other potato varieties they seem tasteless.Which do you like?About 50 or so years ago my uncle grew a variety called he called purple kidney.Small oval purple skinned spuds that had a lovely flavour.I think he may have used them in a hybrid.

jbsouthland, Apr 27, 10:15pm
We do similar homemade but add a pkt of Herbvege mixto the plastic bag and oil then toss...bake on baking paper so they don't stick.Should make up own herbs and spices but we like the ease and taste.Also add lots of other cubed veges as above poster does.

4crittersnmee, Apr 27, 10:37pm
All good ideas, thanks!A Sophie Grey wedges recipe uses cornflour, I find this a big "cluggy" but the kids don't notice. I may use this instead of some flour.Thanks again.

pickles7, Apr 27, 10:45pm
I have cut up in small pieces a potato, kumara, carrot, parsnip[ zap a few minutes] pumpkin, tossed in a we bit of oil and roasted them all together. They turned out well. After they were cooked I drizzled over a little balsamic vinegar, threw over toasted sesame seeds.A hit in our house.

earthangel4, Apr 27, 11:16pm
I do ours this way,and yes a hit every time.