Magical orange cake

Page 1 / 2
didorothy, Oct 20, 9:05pm
Can someone please post recipe again?

indy95, Oct 20, 9:10pm
Didorothy, if you type Magical Orange Cake into the search box on the left of your screen and choose Anytime as the date posted you will find several threads featuring the recipe. It makes a really lovely cake.

kiwigoldie, Oct 20, 9:21pm
1 whole orange, washed and processed to a pulp, (I pulp it first on its own to be gentler to my small food processer)
125gr melted butter,
1 cup sugar
2 med-lge eggs,
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour.

YES, ITS AS EASY AS IT LOOKS! If you have a food processor, just throw everything in together and mix till all combined.

If you don’t, and want to do it the old-fashioned way.
Mix together the melted butter and sugar, add egg then orange pulp. Stir to combine then fold in sifted SR flour.

Pour into lined loaf or cake tin and bake at 180C for approx 35-40 mins or ready when tested with skewer.

You can double this recipe - it made a lovely round tin cake which I ice with orange icing and also a loaf which can be left plain or drizzled with a syrup topping of orange juice and caster sugar heated in a pot until sugar is dissolved.

macandrosie, Oct 22, 9:07am
Here's a similar recipe if you want to try it. It's a bigger recipe, but very scrummy & moist. I think it's Patricia Sopers Recipe, she is a well known cook who puts her recipes in the Southland Times, Invercargill.

Orange Pulp Cake:

2 medium oranges
4 large eggs
2 cups raw sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup coconut
Place whole oranges in a large pot of water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about an hour. Drain & cool. Place in processor & process until really pulpy. Set aside. Combine flours, baking soda & cloves, set aside. Process eggs & sugar for 2 minutes. While processor is running, pour in oil slowly. Pulse in the orange pulp, walnuts & coconut alternately with the dry ingreds. Bake @ 180° C in around tin for an hour.
Ice with cream cheese icing.
Icing:
2 cups icing sugar
50gr softened butter
50 gr lite cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
Beat all these ingreds together until smooth & pale in colour. Spread onto cold cake. Can decorate with orange rind & chopped walnuts.

ange164, Apr 6, 3:48am
Making the basic recipe for the first time today. THanks all. Smelling good so far in the oven.

janny3, Apr 11, 8:38am
Did them into cup cakes.Wonderful iced.Thanks for the recipes!

tramore, Jul 22, 8:39pm
Would this recipe need adapting for the microwave and how long would i cook it for please?

muppet65, Jul 23, 5:05am
ify uo dont want a bitter taste just remove the pith, fantastic cake ...make sure the orange is really munched up

tramore, Jul 23, 8:39pm
Would this recipe need adapting for the microwave and how long would i cook it for please!

jag5, Jul 23, 9:10pm
Before pulping......I grate off some zest to sprinkle over the top when iced....

muppet65, Jul 24, 5:05am
ify uo dont want a bitter taste just remove the pith, fantastic cake .make sure the orange is really munched up

jag5, Jul 24, 9:10pm
Before pulping.I grate off some zest to sprinkle over the top when iced.

tramore, Jul 27, 5:03am
bump for answer re microwave cooking question!

limejelly, Jul 27, 5:34am
Could you use a lemon instead of an orange and make a lemon cake?

pam.delilah, Jul 27, 6:09am
yes

here are same previous tip and variations from past postings

Made lemon today with 2 lemons - really tart but poked holes all over the cooked cake and poured 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 sugar mixed which was simply divine.

Strawberry and choc chip
I used the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through. I added a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit..

I put a tin of pears in I strained the juice syrup out into a cup and used the pears as you would the oranges, when it was still hot brush the cake with a little pear syrup

add sultanas to the cake mixture When I made the orange cake I just added sultanas to the cake mixture added them last and just hand mixed them.

The tinned strawberry and chocolate chip combination was excellent!) Just remember to drain all the liquid from the tin and roughly chop the strawberries before proceeding with the recipe. Also added handful each of coconut and chocolate chips, plus I sprinkled the top with more coconut before baking. I have a mini loaf tray so baked the mixture in those. (Makes 6)

1 large apple (I cored it as I wasn't sure how the pips would go) Also added a small handful of sultanas and about 1 tsp cinnamon. baked in my cute 6 mini-loaves tray decorate the tops of each of them with about 4 slices of apple,

I made this today but used 1 banana and 4 fejoa's and its divine, I also made it as a chocolate cake and replaced the fruit with one yoghurt (apricot) and added 2 tablespoons of cocoa

two bananas, then after the batter was in the tin, she sprinkled chocolate chips across the top. Pushed some in a little and left the others on top - this made a nice topping. We used some with custard for dessert, and have used Nutella as an icing for the rest

Blood Orange Cake The local store had Blood Oranges for sale so tried the cake with these. For those who don't know what a blood orange is, it is an orange with red (almost like beetroot red) skin and beetroot red flesh. The cake came out a really neat pinky-red colour wuth flecks of red. Tasted wonderful

five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnimon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same.

Orange & cream cheese muffins.....Tried this recipe as muffins, adding chopped dates and a blob of cream cheese in the middle of muffin before cooking.

Orange and Dates
...YUM! Made this combination last night into muffin size and it was a great success. Just smoosh up about 1/2 a cup or so of dates when you are pulping the orange. Topped off with lemon cream cheese icing

pineapple cake I made it again with a tin of crushed pineapple in juice. Needed a bit of extra flour but it turned out great and didn't even need processing, just mixed in a bowl. Nice as a pudding too.

i made this delicious cake 2day.. but i doubled the recipe and used 2 c raspberries instead of the orange

GRAPEFRUIT sprinkled a little coconut and cho chips on top before popping it in the oven. Took a little longer than the cooking time suggested though. I used a decent sized yellow coloured grapefruit.

a tin of apricots drained, but with a slurp of the juice back in and a packet of chopped pecans.

Lime and Coconut Cake was absolutely scrummy- used 2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rhind

a block of whittakers white choc and macademia nuts broke it into single pieces and potted it on top of cake then submerged it a bit once it came out of oven and had cooled I grated white choc on top, I finished this off with 2 tins of mandarins on the side with freshly whipped cream, and I have to say that it went down very well - I took it to friends and was on dessert and they raved about it. - dont know if anyone has done this version yet but both thumbs for this one.

If you use thin skinned fruit you don't have to peel it, but if like us you have very thick skinned oranges, then peel and use the zest, t

limejelly, Jul 27, 8:21am
wow thank you pam.delilah!

limejelly, Jul 28, 5:34am
Could you use a lemon instead of an orange and make a lemon cake!

pam.delilah, Jul 28, 6:09am
yes

here are same previous tip and variations from past postings

Made lemon today with 2 lemons - really tart but poked holes all over the cooked cake and poured 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 sugar mixed which was simply divine.

Strawberry and choc chip
I used the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through. I added a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit.

I put a tin of pears in I strained the juice syrup out into a cup and used the pears as you would the oranges, when it was still hot brush the cake with a little pear syrup

add sultanas to the cake mixture When I made the orange cake I just added sultanas to the cake mixture added them last and just hand mixed them.

The tinned strawberry and chocolate chip combination was excellent!) Just remember to drain all the liquid from the tin and roughly chop the strawberries before proceeding with the recipe. Also added handful each of coconut and chocolate chips, plus I sprinkled the top with more coconut before baking. I have a mini loaf tray so baked the mixture in those. (Makes 6)

1 large apple (I cored it as I wasn't sure how the pips would go) Also added a small handful of sultanas and about 1 tsp cinnamon. baked in my cute 6 mini-loaves tray decorate the tops of each of them with about 4 slices of apple,

I made this today but used 1 banana and 4 fejoa's and its divine, I also made it as a chocolate cake and replaced the fruit with one yoghurt (apricot) and added 2 tablespoons of cocoa

two bananas, then after the batter was in the tin, she sprinkled chocolate chips across the top. Pushed some in a little and left the others on top - this made a nice topping. We used some with custard for dessert, and have used Nutella as an icing for the rest

Blood Orange Cake The local store had Blood Oranges for sale so tried the cake with these. For those who don't know what a blood orange is, it is an orange with red (almost like beetroot red) skin and beetroot red flesh. The cake came out a really neat pinky-red colour wuth flecks of red. Tasted wonderful

five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnimon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same.

Orange & cream cheese muffins.Tried this recipe as muffins, adding chopped dates and a blob of cream cheese in the middle of muffin before cooking.

Orange and Dates
.YUM! Made this combination last night into muffin size and it was a great success. Just smoosh up about 1/2 a cup or so of dates when you are pulping the orange. Topped off with lemon cream cheese icing

pineapple cake I made it again with a tin of crushed pineapple in juice. Needed a bit of extra flour but it turned out great and didn't even need processing, just mixed in a bowl. Nice as a pudding too.

i made this delicious cake 2day. but i doubled the recipe and used 2 c raspberries instead of the orange

GRAPEFRUIT sprinkled a little coconut and cho chips on top before popping it in the oven. Took a little longer than the cooking time suggested though. I used a decent sized yellow coloured grapefruit.

a tin of apricots drained, but with a slurp of the juice back in and a packet of chopped pecans.

Lime and Coconut Cake was absolutely scrummy- used 2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rhind

a block of whittakers white choc and macademia nuts broke it into single pieces and potted it on top of cake then submerged it a bit once it came out of oven and had cooled I grated white choc on top, I finished this off with 2 tins of mandarins on the side with freshly whipped cream, and I have to say that it went down very well - I took it to friends and was on dessert and they raved about it. - dont know if anyone has done this version yet but both thumbs for this one.

If you use thin skinned fruit you don't have to peel it, but if like us you have very thick skinned oranges, then peel and use the zest, t

lindylambchops1, Aug 4, 9:09am
pam/delilahdo the tips & variations apply to the Orange Pulp Cake!

TIA

245sam, Aug 4, 9:50am
lindylambchops1, obviously I'm not pam.delilah, but I recall all those "tips & variations" being posted for the Magical Orange Cake which is a smaller cake, as posted at#3.:-))

lindylambchops1, Aug 4, 9:57am
Thanks Sam ; )

lindylambchops1, Aug 5, 6:51am
I used the Magical Orange Cake recipe today threw in some chocolate chips& made muffins.they look YUM!

245sam, Aug 5, 9:50am
lindylambchops1, obviously I'm not pam.delilah, but I recall all those "tips & variations" being posted for the Magical Orange Cake which is a smaller cake, as posted at#3.:-))

didorothy, Oct 21, 9:05pm
Can someone please post recipe again!

macandrosie, Oct 23, 9:07am
Here's a similar recipe if you want to try it. It's a bigger recipe, but very scrummy & moist. I think it's Patricia Sopers Recipe, she is a well known cook who puts her recipes in the Southland Times, Invercargill.

Orange Pulp Cake:

2 medium oranges
4 large eggs
2 cups raw sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup coconut
Place whole oranges in a large pot of water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about an hour. Drain & cool. Place in processor & process until really pulpy. Set aside. Combine flours, baking soda & cloves, set aside. Process eggs & sugar for 2 minutes. While processor is running, pour in oil slowly. Pulse in the orange pulp, walnuts & coconut alternately with the dry ingreds. Bake @ 180° C in around tin for an hour.
Ice with cream cheese icing.
Icing:
2 cups icing sugar
50gr softened butter
50 gr lite cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
Beat all these ingreds together until smooth & pale in colour. Spread onto cold cake. Can decorate with orange rind & chopped walnuts.