Spinach

datoofairy, Oct 20, 3:06am
Today I bought spinach for the first time. I'm trying to expand the variety of vegetables we eat.The spinach is frozen in small batches that you zap in the microwave till cooked.
Miss 10 and I have never eaten spinach before, so I'm hoping we like it.
Is there anything I should know about spinach?Anything I should/could add to make it better?Or is it just best eaten on its own?

cookessentials, Oct 20, 3:11am
it is similar to silverbeet,but milder. Try the baby spinach leaves next time (Sproutman) I think it is,does them in a sealed bag and i use them in salads and a wood roasted salmon and orzo pasta dish. You can use it on its own or add it to baked goods such as breads,vegetable lasagne or suchlike.

beaker59, Oct 20, 3:11am
Fresh is best and its easy to grow if you have the land.

But for frozen and a beginner I would make a Quiche or similar there have been some good recipes on here lately for Spinach Quiche there was one on the Feta thread I think. On its own a beginner might find it bland or not particularly exciting you can also try cooking then while hot mix in some Coconut cream thats very nice.

datoofairy, Jun 12, 11:04am
Thanks for your replies :o)
We will be having it tonight as a side vege, so I will just heat it through and add a little butter.We are not pepper fans, but I wonder if a little garlic salt would be nice?
I will definitely try the quiche idea too, it will be nice to have some new main meal options to choose from.
In a perfect world I would only ever buy fresh, top quality vegetables.However the bags of fresh spinach were nearly $7 for enough for one meal for two and the frozen was $3 for twice the amount.When your total food budget isaround $60 a week, sometimes frozen has to be better than nothing :o)