bump, these all sound lovely

winnie15, Oct 21, 11:35pm
wow yes please . they sound nice!

bev00, Oct 21, 11:01am
too good to lose ;)

carlosjackal, Oct 21, 7:24pm
Spinach and Feta Filo Pie (Spanakopita)

This is a firm favourite of ours; I have been making this for many, many years:

The quantities are really only approximate as I go by taste.

• A few sheets Filo pastry
• Melted butter (to brush Filo pastry with)

• Spinach (I used to use fresh but I now use the frozen spinach) - about 8- 10 frozen blocks thawed)
•1 Onion - very finely diced
•1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
•125g Feta crumbled (or more according to taste) - do not use the softFeta in this dish - I use about 1/2 - 2/3 of a block of Galaxy or MainlandFeta
•1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
•125g Ricotta cheese
•Ground pepper
•salt

oPlace all the above ingredients in a bowl and mix
oLayer sheets of Filo pastry in a shallow and lightly greased oven dish - ensuring each piece is brushed with some melted butter. Allow the pastry to overlap and overhang the rim of the dish you are using.
oSpoon the spinach mixture into the pasrty lined dish and fold the overhanging pastry over the top of the mixture. Place a couple more sheets of buttered filo pastry on top of the pie.
oBake in moderately hot oven for about 30 mins.

carlosjackal, Oct 21, 7:24pm
Spinach and Feta Filo Pie (Spanakopita)

This is a firm favourite of ours; I have been making this for many, many years:

The quantities are really only approximate as I go by taste.

• A few sheets Filo pastry
• Melted butter (to brush Filo pastry with)

• Spinach (I used to use fresh but I now use the frozen spinach) - about 8- 10 frozen blocks thawed)
•1 Onion - very finely diced
•1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
•125g Feta crumbled (or more according to taste) - do not use the softFeta in this dish - I use about 1/2 - 2/3 of a block of Galaxy or MainlandFeta
•1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
•125g Ricotta cheese
•Ground pepper
•salt

Place all the above ingredients in a bowl and mix
Layer sheets of Filo pastry in a shallow and lightly greased oven dish - ensuring each piece is brushed with some melted butter. Allow the pastry to overlap and overhang the rim of the dish you are using.
Spoon the spinach mixture into the pasrty lined dish and fold the overhanging pastry over the top of the mixture. Place a couple more sheets of buttered filo pastry on top of the pie.
Bake in moderately hot oven for about 30 mins.

sarahb5, Oct 22, 1:10am
I like to add feta to my balsamic roast vegetable salad whilst it's still warm enough that the feta softens and melts a little.I also add it to my pasta salad while the pasta is still warm as well as I love the texture of it when it's softened a bit and as you stir it through your salad everything gets coated.

bev00, Dec 1, 10:25am
FILO SPINACH (OR SILVERBEET) PIE (serves 4)
1 bunch spinach or silverbeet, finely sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 eggs
125 gms cottage cheese (half a 250gm pottle)
25 to 50 gms feta cheese crumbled
50 gms cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp dried dill or 1/2 tsp dill seeds
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
a LITTLE salt (feta can be salty) & good grind of black pepper
handful of parsely, chopped
4 sheets filo pastry
4 tsp butter or oil for brushing (or cooking oil spray)

Steam spinach and onion for about 5 mins
Beat eggs, add cottage cheese, feta & cheddar cheese
Add steamed onion & spinach, dill, nutmeg, s & p and parsley
Pour into ovenproof dish (I use 20cms square pan for four servings)
Layer the filo sheets on top of the mix, lightly brushing each with oil or butter, turning over excess flaps at edges
Sprinkle with sesame seeds
Bake at 180*C for 30-40 mins. Can cover dish with foil for last ten minutes to stop filo burning

Source: Adapted slightly from Carolyn Gibson

Variation: Leeks & blue cheese, instead of onion & feta

Quoteelliehen (3913 )9:47 pm, Thu 1 Dec #2

even just roast some veggies ie pumpkin, red onion, peppers courgette , or what ever you have lurking in the fridge, mix. season, and I usually add rasel al houte (sp) the moroccan spices, I then mix the cottage cheese feta and roasted veggies, with some spinach and make into filo parcels.

Quoteruby19 (21 )

village.green, Dec 1, 11:06am
Definitely Spanotiropita (Spinach and Cheese Pie)
Spinach, mint, parsley, dill, eggs, feta, onion in filo pastry.
Too tired to type out recipe sorry, but I've made it for years, favourite in my Greek family.

gardie, Dec 1, 6:49pm
Bacon & Broccoli Salad.Steam1- 2 heads broccoli till tender.Chop a few rashers of bacon and cook then (pan, microwave, grill).Dice some feta (1/2 pkt)and make a fabulous dressing.
Here's mine:1/2 cup rice bran oil (can use olive but I don't like taste), 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (sometimes I use half white wine, half balsamic), 2 heaped tsp each of crushed garlic and whole seed mustard, salt & pepper (a good grind of each) 1-2 tsp sugar.Shake altogether in a jar.

Combine warm broccoli and bacon with the cubed feta (I sometimes crumble if I don't have so much so it goes further) and then pour half the above dressing over and gently toss.I find by doing this when warm, the dressing is better absorbed into the ingredients.Serve at room temperature.

This is one of my (extended) family's favourite recipes.

wendalls, Dec 1, 8:57pm
Annabel Langbein's zucchini fritters. Delicious. They have , crumbled up feta, garlic, chilli flakes , zucchini, eggsa bit of flour and seasoning and are fried in butter. I dip mine in yoghurt. They are addictive and I just make them for me coz I dont want to share them! (Not with fussy zucchini haters anyway!)

speedy_11, Dec 1, 10:57pm
We use feta for many things, a quick lunchtime favourite here is to make a basic scone dough (with or without grated cheese) roll it out flat (to about an inch thick) sprinkle feta and spinach (frozen works best but remove the excess water before use) or chopped sundried tomato over the dough, roll up, slice into pinwheels and bake until cooked.

clevercloggs, Dec 1, 11:44pm
I have a very simple recipe.Warm some feta in Pita pockets along with some fresh or dried herbs (I found a bit of rosemary nice).Once it is heated through, drizzle in some runny honey.The sweet of the honey and the saltiness of the feta makes for an amazing taste sensation!

clevercloggs, Dec 1, 11:44pm
I have a very simple recipe.Warm some feta in Pita pockets along with some fresh or dried herbs (I found a bit of thyme nice).Once it is heated through, drizzle in some runny honey.The sweet of the honey and the saltiness of the feta makes for an amazing taste sensation!

davidt4, Dec 2, 3:35am
Greek Tomato, Hot Pepper and Feta (Bouyourdi)

2 tab ev olive oil
2 large ripe tomatoes in thick slices
2 long hottish yellow or red peppers, trimmed & halved lengthwise
250g feta cut in four

Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan, add tomatoes and peppers, fry 5 minutes until they start to colour and soften.Lower heat, add feta, tucking pieces in between the pieces of vegetable.Cook 5 minutes until feta is soft.

Serve hot straight from pan.

davidt4, Dec 2, 3:37am
Green beans with feta, walnuts and mint

Serves two to four.

280g french beans, trimmed

3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Juice of ½ small lemon

Small handful of mint leaves, tough stalks removed, and chopped

1 small handful dill, tough stalks removed, half the fronds chopped, the rest reserved to garnish the dish

Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

150g feta

50g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the beans until just tender, about three to six minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water. Dress the beans in the olive oil, lemon juice, mint, some of the dill, salt and pepper. Serve topped with crumbled feta cheese, walnuts and the remaining dill fronds scattered over the top.

davidt4, Dec 2, 3:38am
Greek Chicken with Feta Basil crust

1 chicken, spatchcocked or in pieces
salt & pepper
e v olive oil

Crust:

200g feta
2 small red chillies, deseeded
¾ c extra virgin olive oil
1 c basil
3 tab chopped spring onion
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tab lemon juice
black pepper

Lay chicken flat in baking dish, season.

Combine crust ingredients in processor, pour over chicken to coat well.Trickle over a little oil.

Bake 1 ½ hours.

Serve hot or warm with a green salad.

davidt4, Dec 2, 3:38am
Orange, Cos and Feta Salad (Tunisia)

1 tab red wine vinegar
3 tab ev olive oil
salt
black pepper
1 large cos lettuce
100g feta, cubed
1 orange, trimmed and chopped
juice of 1 orange

Make dressing from vinegar, oil & seasoning.

Slice lettuce into strips, put in bowl with feta and orange and juice and mix.Add dressing and toss to combine well.

katinthekitch, Dec 2, 3:50am
PUMPKIN AND FETA SALAD C:

500 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 roasted red pepper sliced
250 g feta cubed
1 red onion chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves finely shredded
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
DRESSING
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid honey
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
salt and pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 200 C.
Place the pumpkin in a roasting dish and drizzle with the oil, cinnamon, garlic, and pepper, then roast in a for about 20 25 minutes until cooked,( try to keep it still firm but cooked.) If you haven`t already roasted the pepper pop into the oven at the same time. Cool. Place the cooked pumpkin into a salad bowl and toss through the other ingredients then add the dressing.
To make the dressing mix all ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to combine.