Is buttermilk available in NZ

cary10, Oct 17, 1:05am
I'm wanting to make a chocolate cake that requires buttermilk. I've never heard of it before so I am just wondering if I can get it from the supermarket
Thanks

timetable, Oct 17, 1:12am
yes..countdown do carry it but not sure about other chains...its lovely to work with when making pancakes!!!

a_n_h, Oct 17, 1:12am
yes. i bought it a li while ago from our local woolies. was in with the normal milk.

cary10, Oct 17, 1:15am
Thank you both. I shall venture out to get some now :)

mallee, Oct 17, 1:15am
x1
Make your own, it's very simple. 2 cups milk to 1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.

davidt4, Oct 17, 1:23am
Most supermarkets have it, in cardboard packs stored in the chiller next to the milk.Real cultured buttermilk has a lovely flavour, which is missing if you just mix milk and lemon juice or vinegar.

uli, Oct 17, 4:42am
Buttermilk is what is left over when making butter. That liquid has then a culture added (similar to yoghurt) and as davidt4 above says has a lovely flavour. This is why it is used in baking - to impart that flavour.

I personally would substitute a slightly liquid drinking yoghurt rather than a milk and vinegar mix or buy a small carton full in the supermarket.

245sam, Oct 17, 8:53am
cary10, you should be able to find buttermilk in the chiller area (near the milk and cream or yoghurt) of any of your local supermarkets - look for either a 600ml Tararua brand carton (similar to a ready made custard or yoghurt carton) or a 1 litre Karikaas brand plastic bottle/container.

Hope that helps.:-))

bestdeals, Oct 17, 9:22am
Or you could always get some cream and make butter, then whats left over is buttermilk. You get some butter aswell ;)

beebs, Oct 17, 7:44pm
thats not what the stuff in the carton looks like!

cookessentials, Oct 17, 9:05pm
Yes, Tararua make it in a 1 litre bottle and you will usually find it in the milk chiller.

uli, Oct 18, 1:14am
Yep - but it is not yet cultured. This will take a day or two - just like with yoghurt :)

macandrosie, Oct 22, 9:16am
you can make a susbstitute by adding a little lemon juice to your milk, it will curdle the milk. Also I have replaced buttermilk with yoghurt with good results.

liamjosh, Oct 22, 9:18am
x1
Mmmmmm, buttermilk scones.

waswoods, Oct 24, 9:01am
And what you don't use freezes very well

guest, Sep 21, 4:42am
how much does buttermil cost?