Courgettes or zucchini?

Page 1 / 2
dragonzflame, Oct 12, 2:25am
Which do you think is the more commonly used name in New Zealand?

cookessentials, Oct 12, 2:29am
cant say I have really thought about it, but courgettes seems to be more widely used.

michelle_09, Oct 12, 2:46am
I interchange the names haha... What do the supermarket sell them as?

dragonzflame, Oct 12, 2:49am
yeah, I thought of checking the supermarkets as soon as I posted, lol. I think it's probably courgette. Cheers!

pom4, Oct 12, 2:57am
pak n save call them courgette. ive often wondered it zuccini's are a different thing

davidt4, Oct 12, 3:04am
Zucchini in Fruit World in Auckland.

pom4 - they are the same thing.Zucchini is the Italian name; courgette is the French name.

peter148, Oct 12, 3:22am
also there is the Scallopini variety.They're all still just a baby marrow really

eastie3, Oct 12, 4:25am
I have always called them zucchini,the supermarkets seem to favour courgette,but both words are often spelt wrong - in fact I'm not sure if I've also made a mistake.

gilligee, Oct 12, 4:49am
One is French and the other is Italian for the same vegetable, a baby marrow.

kay141, Oct 12, 4:53am
Scallopini are slightly different in both shape and taste. Look more like a baby pumpkin.

cottagerose, Oct 12, 5:15am
courgette is what I call them but zucchini when they get big.
I think the Australians call the zucchini

noonesgirl, Oct 12, 5:59am
either, either, neither, nor

buzzybee1, Oct 12, 6:08am
courgette is what I call them but zucchini when they get big.

No, zucchini or courgette are the small ones, they become Marrows when they get big.

uli, Oct 12, 6:25am
scallopini are in the same family of summersquash (Curcubita pepo) as courgettes, marrows, ufos, crooknecks, spaghetti squash and a lot of others. Pretty watery when older and then mostly called marrows.

True pumpkins are from the Curcubita moschata and Curcubita maxima family - with the exception of butternuts which are Curcubita pepo and will cross with your courgettes - in case you want to save seeds.

gardie, Oct 12, 8:15am
I think zucchini is the correct name - when you buy seeds, they are always marked zucchini.Its what I call them anyway!

peter148, Oct 12, 9:35am
It's all good so long as it grows easily and tastes good in a stir fry eh?

elliehen, Oct 12, 9:51am
Growers in this area tend to call them Zucchini, or "Zukies" if they're feeling affectionate towards the little babies.Maybe it's the influence of early Italian immigrants to the Nelson region.

pom4, Oct 12, 8:16pm
I love them on the BBQ and the kids eat them too. Roll on summer.
They are so easy to grow, we planted our vege patch this week, although they seem to get very cheap in season so i often wonder if its worth growing them

gilligee, Oct 12, 8:40pm
Google it if you do not believe me.....

cookessentials, Oct 12, 8:52pm
zuchinni are called marrow when they are large.

cookessentials, Oct 12, 8:53pm
You say tomayta, I say tomata, lets call the whole thing off!! ...cant remember the rest LOL.

elliehen, Oct 12, 10:19pm
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

luckyduck, Oct 12, 10:25pm
I always call them courgettes

dragonzflame, Oct 13, 12:02am
Yep, consensus seems to be courgettes. That's what I call them too. I just wasn't sure if the American influence extended to that vegetable or not - over there it's pretty much always zucchini (which makes sense with all the Italians there), it's the Brits that call them courgettes (again, makes sense with their proximity to France). I've heard them called both here, was just wondering what was more commonly used. (It's for a writing project I'm working on, if you were wondering.)

It's kind of funny though how we pick and choose between the American and British names - so we say courgettes rather than zucchini, but eggplant rather than aubergine. /musing

gilligee, Oct 13, 4:29am
I say aubergine!