Zucchini chutney or relish receipes

onie1, Feb 1, 4:49am
Looking for a receipe to use up excess zucchiniand wanted some relish or chutney. What wonderful receipes are out there for me to try.

petal1955, Feb 1, 5:06am
Google is your friend.just search for either zuchini/courgette.chutney/pic-
kle/relish

jessie981, Feb 1, 7:16am
You may like this - compliments of c.e

Zucchini Slice

5 eggs
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
375g zucchini, grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
200g rindless bacon, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

cookessentials (1190 )7:39 pm, Wed 16 Feb #19
Have you checked out the lefthand messageboard for recipes!

picxie, Feb 1, 8:40am
I made this last night . it's very tasty. I didn't have any capsicum so I left them out. It made 6 jam jars plus a bit left over. I also didn't process it at the end, just sterilised the jars, put the relish in hot, then sealed.

Sweet Zucchini Relish

Ingredients
• 12 cups unpeeled zucchini whizzed in food processor
• 4 cups chopped onion
• 5 tablespoons canning salt (I used normal salt, non iodised)
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped (didn't have so left out)
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped (didn't have so left out)
• 3 cups white sugar
• 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
1. Place the zucchini and onion in a large, non-metallic bowl, and sprinkle the salt overtop. Use your hands to evenly mix the salt throughout the zucchini. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2. The following day, drain the zucchini in a colander, and rinse well with cool water. Squeeze out excess water and set aside. Place the red and green bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch into a large pot. Add the nutmeg, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the drained zucchini. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, sterilize 7 one-pint jars and lids to hold relish. Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.
4. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
5. Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).

kiwigoldie, Feb 2, 7:49am
courgette chutney
The latest NZ Gardener newsletter has a recipe for courgette chutney: 500g onions; 1.5 kgs courgettes; 500g ripe tomatoes; 100g pitted dates; 50g sultanas; 500ml malt vinegar; 2 tsp allspice; 2 tsp ground ginger; 2 tbsp salt; 2 tsp ground black pepper; 1.5kg soft brown sugar. Chop the onions, cut courgettes into small chunks, peel and slice the tomatoes and chop the dates. Put in a large pot with the sultanas and half the vinegar. Simmer until the ingredients soften, then add spices, salt and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar then simmer slowly until thick. Pour into hot, clean jars and seal with airtight, vinegar-proof covers.

auburn4, Feb 3, 10:52am
I made this recipe several weeks ago, very easy and the chutney looks great in the jars. Have to wait a bit longer to see how it tastes. I made a double recipe and eliminated quite a few zucchini. There are heaps of reviews to read too that are helpful.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6342/spiced-courgette-chutney!pager.offset=40
I added smoked paprika instead of mixed spice though. Didn't want hot cross bun tasting chutney.

I made this recipe several weeks ago, very easy and the chutney looks great in the jars. Have to wait a bit longer to see how it tastes. I made a double recipe and eliminated quite a few zucchini. There are heaps of reviews to read too that are helpful.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6342/spiced-courgette-chutney!pager.offset=40
I added smoked paprika instead of mixed spice though. Didn't want hot cross bun tasting chutney. I also salted the zucchini & onion and left them to sit over night and then rinsed well and drained before cooking to eliminate the excess liquid during cooking.

bev00, Feb 2, 11:46am
for the glut .

uli, Feb 3, 1:36am
HOMEMADE ZUCCHINI RELISH

15 cups grated zucchini, from about 4 + pounds of fresh zucchini
1 pound carrots, grated
6 cups chopped onion, from about 5 onions
8 sweet peppers, a mix of red and green, chopped
1/3 cup table salt

Mix these together in a very large bowl.
Let stand at least three hours. Can be overnight.
Drain in a colander or wrap in cheesecloth so the excess liquid can be squeezed out.

3 cups vinegar (cider is preferred because it's gentler and more fruity but can use plain white vinegar)
6 cups sugar
3 teaspoon celery seed
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1-1/2 teaspoons nutmeg

3 tablespoons cornstarch stirred into a little cold water to make a paste

Mix ingredients in a very large kettle, stir until sugar is dissolved. Add drained vegetables and bring to a boil. Let cook just a few minutes, until liquid is mostly gone. Transfer relish into sterilized jars and seal.

Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

uli, Feb 3, 1:38am
I have made these when I go overrun:
http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/sweet-zucchini-refrigerator-pickles-recipe/

Very nice and keep for months in the fridge.

samanya, Feb 3, 7:13am
This is a sweet chutney, ideal with tasty cheese, in sandwiches or with cold meats.
Courgette & Apple Chutney
1.5 kg courgettes
2 tspns salt
1.5 kg apples
500g onions
750 g sugar
2 litres vinegar
2 tspns mustard powder
2 tspnsground ginger
3/4 tspn ground black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
Slice courgettes finely, place them in a bowl with the salt & let stand overnight.
Peel & finely chop the apples & onions.
Combine with the courgettes in a large saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil & cook very slowly for about 2 hours, until the mixture is thick.
Spoon into hot, clean jars & seal.
Makes about 4 litres.
I haven't made this yet, but thought it sounded good & I usually like any of Digby Law's recipes.

I added smoked paprika instead of mixed spice though. Didn't want hot cross bun tasting chutney. I also salted the zucchini & onion and left them to sit over night and then rinsed well and drained before cooking to eliminate the excess liquid during cooking.

bev00, Feb 3, 11:10am