Zucchini pickle/relish

razell, Feb 6, 2:52am
Does anyone have a good recipe for pickles or relish using zucchini please?
(By pickles I mean something like chowchow or mustard pickles - I usually make mine with cauliflower, onions. bright yellow sauce. )

I have had a search around the site and have found lots of delicious ways I could use up the glut of zucchini from the garden, but I have no pickles in the cupboard and no cauliflower in the garden so I'm thinking there must be a way of making pickles with zucchini.

I know I know I could look on the internet for recipes but there is something nice about using a recipe that has been recommended by a real person.

Thanks

dibble35, Feb 6, 3:08am
Heres a recipe i got off of here a few years ago. Sorry dont know who posted it originally but it seemed popular.
Pretty pickles/Confectioners pickle
4 Cups zucchini chopped. Cover with 1/4 C salt, leave 30 mins, rinse and drain. Add.
4 onions, 2 green peppers, 2 red peppers all whizzed up together. 1 T mustard seeds, 1 T celery seeds, 1/2 t tumeric, 2C white vinegar, 3 C sugar.
Combine them all in a big pan and boil for 10 mins. Thicken with a bit of cornflour and water. Jar as usual. This made about 5 standard jars, and everyone i gave it away to enjoyed it!

dibble35, Feb 6, 3:15am
And another one an old friend has used for years. recipe copy I have has sara parish as the 'author/creator of recipe'
Sweet and sour zucchini
1kg zucchini, 2 onions, 2 T common salt, 3 C sugar, 4 t mustard seed, 2 t celery seed, 3 t turmeric, 2 C white vinegar
wash and slice zucchini thinly. Peel and slice onions. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for 2 hrs. Drain and rinse well. Bring remaining ingredients to the boil, and boil for 5 mins. Add vegetables and boil for further 5 mins. Thicken with flour thinned with extra vinegar if desired. Pour into hot clean jars etc etc

razell, Feb 6, 3:27am
Thanks Dibble

nauru, Feb 6, 7:38am
Like you I was looking for a relish recipe without cauli too and found the following (link below) while browsing which I intend to make sometime this week. It's just zucchini, onions and peppers and looks a bit like gherkin relish. Checking through the recipe I see it's potted at room temp but I'm going to pot while hot as I do with other relishes I make and rather than drain the liquid off I thought to thicken it before end of cooking. Hope this helps.
http://cravingsomethinghealthy.com/sweet-spicy-zucchini-relish/

razell, Feb 7, 5:26am
Sounds nice Nauru. It should keep ok, it's got enough sugar and vinegar.

nauru, Feb 7, 6:10am
Hi razell, Yes, I think it will keep well too. I must try and get on to it tomorrow as picked more zucchini from garden today. Let me knowhow it goes if you decide to make it

jaky, Feb 9, 6:55am
This is my fav (have tried a few) . make it every year

1 kg courgettes 2 C sugar
4 large onions 2 1/2 C white vinegar
1 red pepper 1 C water
1 green pepper 2 tsp turmeric
1/2 C salt 2 tsp celery seed

Chop unpeeled courgette finely. Peel & chop the onions. Remove the seeds from peppers & chop. Combine the veges in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over the surface & cover with water. Leave for 2 hrs. Drain. Rinse thoroughly with cold water & drain again.
In a perserving pan boil the sugar, vinegar & water, turmeric & celery seeds for 3 mins. Add veges & cook for 15 mins
Spoon into hot jars & seal.

fiddles3, Feb 9, 8:01am
If you have a good cucumber pickle recipe use that.

razell, Oct 20, 1:02pm
Just got round to making pickles.
Here's the recipe I used

1kg zucchini
4 large onions
3 smallish peppers - all diced and left overnight after being sprinkled with 1/2 cup of plain salt and covered with water.

Drain-rinse-drain the vegetables and put in a pot with
3 cups of vinegar
2 cups of sugar
2t celery seeds
Bring to the boil then simmer 15-20 minutes

Mix together
1 cup of vinegar
4T cornflour
2T turmeric
2T curry powder
2T mustard powder
2 t cumin
Add to pot, bring back to boil and cook about 5 minutes to thicken.
Bottle into hot jars and seal immediately.

Tastes good so far and should improve with time.