Loaf recipes - please

Page 2 / 2
gardie, Dec 11, 5:21pm
Bumping so as not to loose the thread.

fruitluva2, Dec 12, 5:29pm
More loaves, mmmm, thanx for sharing folks.

cookessentials, Dec 12, 6:05pm
This is one of our favourites too and it is so quick and easy.

fruitluva2, Dec 12, 6:26pm
Does anyone have the Lemon loaf recipe please? and especially the ones from smilecity recipes would be greatly appreciated.

510, Dec 12, 8:31pm
Apricot Loaf
This is ahand written beautiful recipe that I have been making for over 30 years.
Cut up a cup of dried apricots & soak them in warm water for an hour.Sift together 8 0z flour, 1tspn bkg soda, 1 tspn crm of tartar, 1/2 tspn salt.Beat 1 egg well.Add 40z sugar to egg, beat well then add 2 Tbspn melted cooled butter & 1/2 cp apricot water.
Add liquid & apricots to dry ingredients.Mix quickly, DON'T BEAT.
Bake for 1 hour @ 350. Enjoy

Metric conversion
4 oz = 125gms
350* F = 180* C

cgvl, Oct 3, 1:58am
my favourite: 5 cup fruit loaf
1cup of each of the following self raising flour, dried fruit, brown sugar, bran, milk. mix all together and pour into loaf tin. bake mod oven for 1 hour.

I play around with this loaf in that sometimes I don't want bran in it so add extra flour and or some rolled oats. Have added orange zest and walnuts to make a nut loaf. can substitue milk for cold tea, soak fruit in it to make a tea bread loaf.
be careful if addflour as it can make loaf dry. does not require eggs or butter/oil but if you wanted to no doubt you could add them.

lizab, Oct 3, 2:10am
I didn't read the 2nd post fully and asked about no eggs or butter . that's why I deleted the above . wish I hadn't now as I'm posting it again anyway as I don't like seeing 'deleted message' . sunny Sundays . shouldn't be on the computer anyway ! lol

mrsglendhu, Oct 3, 10:15pm
This makes a delicious, moist, dense loaf.

2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup crumbled walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 170 (fanbake) or 180 (not fanbake).
Combine mashed bananas and melted butter in large bowl.
Mix in beaten egg and vanilla.
Mix in baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add flour and mix well.
Mix in coconut (and walnuts, if using).
Grease and flour, or spray, a loaf tin and pour mixture in.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

I usually double the recipe and make half of it as small cakes.
I originally got this recipe from Bestrecipes.com.au and have made it many times. It is so easy, a good recipe for kids to make, too.
I have not tried it yet with walnuts as haven't been able to get them. Usually use 4 bananas instead of just 2.
When doubling the recipe I use 1 & 1/2 tspns baking powder, otherwise the small cakes are a bit flat.

marcs, Oct 4, 1:36am
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it.

gardie, Oct 5, 5:29am
Couldn't resist the circulon loaf pans from Stevens' today - brought 2 and have 2 coconut loaves in the oven.I'm on raffle at work next week so thought I'd make a few loaves and freeze them in preparation.

gardie, Oct 5, 6:35am
I was a little dissapointed that the loaves stuck in the pan a little - I had to loosen them on the sides and then they fell out - maybe its a very sticky mix.Also - I'd triple the recipe and divide it amongst the 2 tins.As the tins are quite large, I found the loaves a little small.

cookessentials, Oct 5, 6:45am
How long did you leave them in the pan! I have made a heap of different things in all of mine and they fall out every time. Someone was saying that Stevens had the muffin pans at around $27 as they were "normally" $38.95! I just about fell off my shoes.looks like they have rarked the prices up before giving the "30% discount" the muffin pans normal price are $31.95

gardie, Oct 5, 7:26pm
Usual price was $29.99 - on special at 19.99.I tried getting the loaves out as soon as they came out the oven without success so I left it for 5 mins and still no success until I run a spatula around the outside.I've got bread rising at the moment to go into them so will see how that falls out.The coconut loaf can be a bit sticky - it leaves a slight residue on baking paper - so maybe its just one of those things.(Its worth baking though, everyone loves it).

gardie, Oct 5, 10:30pm
Yep - the bread fell out - no resting needed.Going to try a date and a sultana loaf later - Aunty Daisy's recipe.so easy.

cookessentials, Oct 6, 7:19am
Perhaps it was because your coconut loaf was extra sticky! I must say, I was surprised whenn you said it stuck slightly though.

marree, Oct 6, 8:28am
YUMMY!I will try these.Can anyone give me some nice 'savoury' flavoured loaf recipes please (easy ones) or is there a thread I can go to!Thanks

obviousas, Oct 8, 12:14am
Hi MARCS, The coconut measurement - Is it 150gm or is it 1.5 cup!

obviousas, Oct 9, 4:28am
Hi MARCS, is baking powder same as baking soda!

510, Dec 13, 8:31pm
Apricot Loaf
This is ahand written beautiful recipe that I have been making for over 30 years.
Cut up a cup of dried apricots & soak them in warm water for an hour.Sift together 8 0z flour, 1tspn bkg soda, 1 tspn crm of tartar, 1/2 tspn salt.Beat 1 egg well.Add 40z sugar to egg, beat well then add 2 Tbspn melted cooled butter & 1/2 cp apricot water.
Add liquid & apricots to dry ingredients.Mix quickly, DON'T BEAT.
Bake for 1 hour @ 350. Enjoy

Metric conversion
4 oz = 125gms
350* F = 180* C