Loaf recipes - please

Page 1 / 2
clair4, Oct 3, 1:50am
Just shouted myself a nice new circulon loaf pan and I would appreciate your best loaf recipe, so that I can try it out.Going to throw out my old tins as these ones do not need spraying with oil and do not need washing.They just wipe out.Thanks all.

cgvl, Oct 3, 1:58am
my favourite: 5 cup fruit loaf
1cup of each of the following self raising flour, dried fruit, brown sugar, bran, milk. mix all together and pour into loaf tin. bake mod oven for 1 hour.

I play around with this loaf in that sometimes I don't want bran in it so add extra flour and or some rolled oats. Have added orange zest and walnuts to make a nut loaf. can substitue milk for cold tea, soak fruit in it to make a tea bread loaf.
be careful if addflour as it can make loaf dry. does not require eggs or butter/oil but if you wanted to no doubt you could add them.

lizab, Oct 3, 2:10am
I didn't read the 2nd post fully and asked about no eggs or butter ... that's why I deleted the above ... wish I hadn't now as I'm posting it again anyway as I don't like seeing 'deleted message' ... sunny Sundays ... shouldn't be on the computer anyway !! lol

pam.delilah, Oct 3, 2:28am
Date & Walnut Loaf

Ingredients

75 g butter
1 cup chopped, pitted dates
3/4 cup Soft Brown Sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
1 egg
2 cups plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Cut the butter into cubes and put it in a bowl with the dates, brown sugar and grated rind. Pour over the boiling water and stand for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the butter melts. Cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, line the long sides and bottom of a 7 cup (1 3/4 litre) capacity loaf tin with a strip of baking paper. Butter or spray the ends of the tin.
Beat the egg until frothy. Stir the remaining ingredients together until well combined. Tip the egg and the mixed dry ingredients on top of the cooled date mixture, then fold the three mixtures together, stirring only until everything is dampened, but not smooth. (If over mixed, the loaf will rise to a peak and be tough.)

Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.

Farmhouse Sultana Cake
Ingredients
• 500 g sultanas
• 1/4 cup brandy or Whisky or juice
• 250 g butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 5 eggs
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla

Method
Put sultanas in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes then drain.
Place the sultanas in a bowl and pour the brandy or Whisky over the mixture. Leave to cool.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Add sultana mixture and vanilla to egg mixture and combine.
Add the sifted flour and fold into egg mixture.
Pour into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin.
Bake at 160°C for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Old English Gingerbread

Ingredients

500g (4 cups) self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 cupssoft brown sugar
175g butter
6 tbsptreacle
6 tbspgolden syrup
300ml milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp warm milk to mix
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp approx.demerara or raw sugar

Method

Sift together flour, salt, ginger and baking powder. In a saucepan, warm sugar, butter, treacle and golden syrup. In a separate pan, warm the 300ml of milk and beat in eggs. Combine with flour and syrup mixtures and mix thoroughly. Mix tablespoon of warm milk and bicarbonate soda together, then add to the mixture. Put into a 25cm square, well-greased or baking-paper lined cake tin. Mix the cinnamon with the demerara or raw sugar and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours (or until firm) at 180°C.

Gingerbread

Ingredients

125g butter
1/2 cupWhite Sugar
1 cupTreacle
1/2 cup milk
3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Icing Sugar to dust

Method

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a 23 cm square cake tin or small roasting dish with non-stick baking paper. Heat butter, sugar & treacle together in a saucepan until butter is just melted. Remove from heat, stir in milk. Cool slightly.
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and tip in liquid ingredients. Mix quickly. Don’t over mix. Spread mixture in prepared cake tin and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until gingerbread has risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool in the tin for 10 – 15 minutes before tipping out onto a cake rack.
Dust with icing sugar to serve.

clair4, Oct 3, 3:06am
The Farmhouse loaf sounds nice but so rich - 5 eggs.Keep them coming and I will download them all.Thanks

marcs, Oct 3, 11:31am
Pams pumpking loaf. Might have to look for the recipe.

gardie, Oct 3, 8:54pm
Coconut loaf

1 1/4 cups coconut
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp lemon/coconut essence (optional)

Combine dry ingredients, pour over milk and mix well.
Bake 180 deg C for 45 mins.

Awesomely easy and tastes even better the next day - if you get to keep it that long.

cookessentials, Oct 3, 10:12pm
clair, wash them out, dont just wipe them out. You will find that everything you make in them just falls out beautifully,however, they do look very clean, still wash in warm soapy water,rinse well and dry. I have made the spicy ginger loaf in mine and also fresh bread and each came out of the tin so easily.

mrsglendhu, Oct 3, 10:15pm
This makes a delicious, moist, dense loaf.

2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup crumbled walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 170 (fanbake) or 180 (not fanbake).
Combine mashed bananas and melted butter in large bowl.
Mix in beaten egg and vanilla.
Mix in baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add flour and mix well.
Mix in coconut (and walnuts, if using).
Grease and flour, or spray, a loaf tin and pour mixture in.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

I usually double the recipe and make half of it as small cakes.
I originally got this recipe from Bestrecipes.com.au and have made it many times. It is so easy, a good recipe for kids to make, too.
I have not tried it yet with walnuts as haven't been able to get them. Usually use 4 bananas instead of just 2.
When doubling the recipe I use 1 & 1/2 tspns baking powder, otherwise the small cakes are a bit flat.

marcs, Oct 4, 1:36am
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot!! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it..

cookessentials, Oct 4, 2:23am
I also make this one which is so moist and gingery.

MOIST GINGER LOAF

1½ cups plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
125g butter, chopped
1 cup golden syrup

Grease two 14 x 21cm loaf pans; line bases and two long sides with baking paper.

Sift flours, soda and spices into a medium-sized bowl. Stir in sugar, eggs and milk until combined.

Place butter and syrup in a small pan; stir over a low heat until butter is melted. Add to batter; stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
Cook in a moderate oven, 180C, for about 50 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand for five minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Serve bread cut into thick slices.

Makes two loaves.

gardie, Oct 5, 5:29am
Couldn't resist the circulon loaf pans from Stevens' today - brought 2 and have 2 coconut loaves in the oven.I'm on raffle at work next week so thought I'd make a few loaves and freeze them in preparation.

clair4, Oct 5, 6:24am
Thanks for your recipe.I love coconut, so just may make these within the next few days.Disappointed that I only bought one tine, but I may go back tomorrow if they are still on sale.Can always freeze one.Thanks to all

gardie, Oct 5, 6:35am
I was a little dissapointed that the loaves stuck in the pan a little - I had to loosen them on the sides and then they fell out - maybe its a very sticky mix.Also - I'd triple the recipe and divide it amongst the 2 tins.As the tins are quite large, I found the loaves a little small.

cookessentials, Oct 5, 6:45am
How long did you leave them in the pan? I have made a heap of different things in all of mine and they fall out every time. Someone was saying that Stevens had the muffin pans at around $27 as they were "normally" $38.95!! I just about fell off my shoes....looks like they have rarked the prices up before giving the "30% discount" the muffin pans normal price are $31.95

gardie, Oct 5, 7:26pm
Usual price was $29.99 - on special at 19.99.I tried getting the loaves out as soon as they came out the oven without success so I left it for 5 mins and still no success until I run a spatula around the outside.I've got bread rising at the moment to go into them so will see how that falls out.The coconut loaf can be a bit sticky - it leaves a slight residue on baking paper - so maybe its just one of those things.(Its worth baking though, everyone loves it).

cookessentials, Oct 5, 8:10pm
Thats interesting. I am pretty sure our loaf tins were $24.95. I have done bread in mine and it came out easily. I let the muffins,loaves and bread rest for about 5 minutes before turning out.

gardie, Oct 5, 10:30pm
Yep - the bread fell out - no resting needed.Going to try a date and a sultana loaf later - Aunty Daisy's recipe.so easy.

cookessentials, Oct 6, 7:19am
Perhaps it was because your coconut loaf was extra sticky? I must say, I was surprised whenn you said it stuck slightly though.

marcs, Oct 6, 7:49am
Posting another one. Bill grangers coconut loaf.

Coconut Loaf

2 1/2 cups flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
150 cup coconut (shredded preferred but can use desiccated) (can toast coconut for a bit more nutty flavour)
1 cup castor sugar,
1 tsp vanilla.
2 egg (beaten),
75g butter (melted),
300ml milk approximately

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix milk and eggs together then fold in the dry mixture. Just before it is almost combined, add melted butter and fold till just mixed. Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake at 180c for one hour. (mine took about an hour and half). Nice toasted for breakfast with butter on.

Bill granger

marree, Oct 6, 8:28am
YUMMY!I will try these.Can anyone give me some nice 'savoury' flavoured loaf recipes please (easy ones) or is there a thread I can go to?Thanks

obviousas, Oct 8, 12:14am
Hi Bill, The coconut measurement - Is it 150gm or is it 1.5 cup?

marcs, Oct 8, 2:03am
Oops should correct that in my recipe too. It is 150g

elliehen, Oct 8, 2:08am
pam.delilah, thank you SO much for all your recipes.They always work!

Good to see you back - you seemed to disappear for a while.

obviousas, Oct 9, 4:28am
Hi MARCS, is baking powder same as baking soda?