Akaroa cod question

poppysinger2, Feb 23, 9:17am
I bought some delicious and fresh akaroa cod for dinner , made a light batter with spelt , an egg, some yoghurt and some milk... dipped the fish in this and pan friedtil cooked . It was delicious but totally fell apart. This might have been due to my batterthough as I kinda made up the recipe . So my question is . . what IS a good way to cook akaroa cod ? Maybe a pie ? In foil with lemon and basil? Has anyone got any ideas for next time?

winnie231, Feb 23, 9:32am
x1
It's not you, it's the fish.
Akaroa Cod - which is just another name for Red Cod is not considered good eating by many.
"The flesh is considered watery and too soft with a tendency to fall apart when being cooking. This problem can easily be solved by drying the fillets with a paper towel and sprinkling them with salt and leaving them for a couple of hours in the fridge before cooking. This process firms the flesh. Following this treatment the red cod is excellent eating. " *extract from the fishing magazine.

Hope this helps.

poppysinger2, Feb 23, 9:45am
Okthanks Winnie, I will try the salt to firm the fish before I batter it . I did notice there was heaps of liquid that came out as it cooked too. But the taste was good.

bucjo, Sep 2, 11:52pm
wow really akaroa cod is red cod? funny... was totally put off red cod forever when i was on a fishing boat near stewart island and they cut one open and worms went everywhere.

i eat blue cod though, my friend gave me a free kilo when i was down south. so yummy. i just coat them in flour, dip in egg and into wholemeal breadcrumbs with a bit of added salt and pepper.