What food to cook for someone with a new baby?

ab_forward1, Sep 19, 8:21am
Something they can put in the freezer,... apart from lasagne? Any ideas?

juliewn, Sep 19, 9:34am
Hi.. soups, casserole's, savoury mince, stews, pies.. roast meats, sliced, so they can be heated in a gravy..

A roast meal - meat, potatoes, veges, gravy, etc.. can be placed on plates, covered with plastic wrap and frozen.. heat in a microwave..

Meals like this with some of the other suggestions above can be frozen too.

If she's breastfeeding, there may be things she's recommended not to eat, so check that too..

They'll be much appreciated.. good for you :-)

blyme_jerv, Sep 25, 6:05am
biscuits, something for when they have visitors, or spanakopita freeze well uncooked

buzzy110, Sep 25, 7:07am
Spanakopita - what a brilliant idea if it is made how the Greeks would make it with feta cheese, fennel seeds, fresh spinach, rosemary, olive oil, sauteed onions and real butter. Also to serve with spanakopita you need to make a chunky tomato sauce. You could bottle that hot so that the bottle seals and so will last out of the cupboard till required.

Remember that not everyone likes fennel so do ask the intended recipient first.

cookessentials, Sep 25, 7:30am
Is she breast feeding? If so, try and keep away from dishes with too many spices as they will filter through to her milk and give baby tummy upsets and the runs.

buzzy110, Sep 26, 12:09am
I wonder how Indian mothers have gotten by all these thousands of years? Must be jolly difficult.

I breast fed and I ate everything with no untoward effects. However, I guess modern day women are cut from a different cloth.

One thing to remember though, if you are a breast feeder. Your baby will develop a taste for the foods you eat via your milk which is why my children never ever turned their noses up at any vegetables or other foods that many many children don't seem to appreciate these days.

molly37, Sep 26, 1:22am
Friends of mine recently needed the community to support them through a tragedy, they had lasagnes coming out there ears. Not that they complained it was awesome! She didnt need to cook for weeks. Try a chicken Pie, or cook the mince for nachos and all they need to add is the corn chips & sour cream. What a lovely friend you are.

natalie9, Sep 26, 1:38am
I've often made homemade pizzas on large pita breads for friends when they've had babies. Bagged separately and they can just pull from the freezer and throw in the oven. Easy favourite, pizza sauce, onions, garlic, green pepper, mushrooms and meat.

verrans, Sep 26, 1:46am
If the baby suffers with reflux, avoid tomato in the dishes for the new mum, or anything else high in acid too.

huntermac, Sep 26, 7:38am
What a nice thing to do!! I see mentioned above that you shouldnt do spicy food, but if the mother has been eating this while pregnant ( yes like Indian ladies ) then this is no problem. Its not like you would be preparing a multi chilli dish with extra chilli......???
I think they would appreciate anything that could be reheated or frozen down for a day or two, baking, or what about a little treat for mum - found out what she adores but hardly ever makes for herself.

twinsforus, Sep 26, 8:51am
Foods you can eat with one hand!! I have an 8 week old baby and often find she wakes up for a feed just as we are sitting down for dinner! (as did my 3 older kids!!)

donnabeth, Apr 21, 6:14pm
Each year I cook a huge pot of old potatoes mash together with kumera, parsnip, carrot and onion.

Using an icecream scoop I placed rounds on baking trays and froze them before placing them all in big zip lock bags.

They can be used to top a shepherds pie in the summer, or reheated to have with leftover mince.

Easy to prepare and eat with one hand, yes I also remember the days.