do i fry them & do I pull off the fatty stringy bit before i cook them? Thx

skinfood2, Jul 2, 5:56am
and do i chop it or slice it B4 cooking? TIA

rainrain1, Jul 2, 6:04am
pull off the skin from the outside, halve then gently fry is one way

farwest, Jul 2, 6:05am
With lambs fry.

beaker59, Jul 2, 8:47am
Cut them the way rainrain sugested lay them round side down in the hot fry pan (a little oil) and fry til browned then turn don't over cook you want them browned but very rare then put aside to rest. to the pan add finely chopped onion tablespoon of flour to make a roux and a little garlic some finely chopped rosemary and saute til onions clear add half a cup stock and half a cup port stir to make a gravy add back the kidneys stir well to heat and cook but don't overdo it kidneys should still have a pinkish center season well and add lots of cracked pepper. Nice served on toast with a poached egg for breakfast.

dbab, Jul 2, 10:07pm
I read somewhere the other day that you can freeze them, and then grate them into things like mince sauces so the kids ( and some adults) won't know they're in there.They have loads of vitamins and minerals in them.

petal1955, Jul 3, 2:04am
SHERRIED KIDNEYS

1-2 Servings
2 lambs kidneys
25g butter
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove of garlic
1 onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
¾ cup of sherry
any freshly chopped herbs(parsley, basil, chives,)
Bacon chopped finely.

Halve kidney lengthwise.Remove the core and fat from kidney and slice finely 3-4 mm thick. Rinse with cold water and dry on paper towels.

Heat butter and oil in pan on high heat and cook bacon and kidney for 30-60 secs and the pinkness has gone from the kidney.Remove from pan and set aside.Add some more oil and gently cook the onion and garlic till the onion is soft and straw coloured.Then turn up the heat and sprinkle in the flour till it is all absorbed and starting to coloured gradually add your sherry stirring well to prevent lumps. Lower the heat and return the kidney and bacon to the pan to heat through.Serve on toast and enjoy!!!

lythande1, Jul 3, 4:29am
That's silly. If you don't like them, then don't eat them.
I make steak and kidney. or

450g lambs' kidneys, skinned, cored and sliced
10g butter
1 large onion, sliced
3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
400g can of chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp dry white wine

Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Heat the butter in a large frying pan until melted, then add the sliced kidneys. Fry them over a moderate heat until they are browned and the juices run. Remove the kidneys from the pan and keep to one side. Next gently fry the bacon and onion in the same pan until the onion is golden. Add the tomatoes and wine and heat gently for about 15 minutes. Now stir in the kidneys and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.

And no way would I ever let them remain pink. The mere idea makes me feel ill. Gross.

skinfood2, Jul 3, 5:54am
do i fry them & do I pull off the fatty stringy bit before i cook them! Thx

skinfood2, Jul 3, 5:56am
and do i chop it or slice it B4 cooking! TIA

rainrain1, Jul 3, 6:04am
pull off the skin from the outside, halve then gently fry is one way.Editing to say yes I like to cut out that fatty bit

beaker59, Jul 3, 8:47am
Cut them the way rainrain sugested lay them round side down in the hot fry pan (a little oil) and fry til browned then turn don't over cook you want them browned but very rare then put aside to rest. to the pan add finely chopped onion tablespoon of flour to make a roux and a little garlic some finely chopped rosemary and saute til onions clear add half a cup stock and half a cup port stir to make a gravy add back the kidneys stir well to heat and cook but don't overdo it kidneys should still have a pinkish center season well and add lots of cracked pepper. Nice served on toast with a poached egg for breakfast.

dbab, Jul 3, 10:07pm
I read somewhere the other day that you can freeze them, and then grate them into things like mince sauces so the kids ( and some adults) won't know they're in there.They have loads of vitamins and minerals in them.

petal1955, Jul 4, 2:04am
SHERRIED KIDNEYS

1-2 Servings
2 lambs kidneys
25g butter
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove of garlic
1 onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
¾ cup of sherry
any freshly chopped herbs(parsley, basil, chives,)
Bacon chopped finely.

Halve kidney lengthwise.Remove the core and fat from kidney and slice finely 3-4 mm thick. Rinse with cold water and dry on paper towels.

Heat butter and oil in pan on high heat and cook bacon and kidney for 30-60 secs and the pinkness has gone from the kidney.Remove from pan and set aside.Add some more oil and gently cook the onion and garlic till the onion is soft and straw coloured.Then turn up the heat and sprinkle in the flour till it is all absorbed and starting to coloured gradually add your sherry stirring well to prevent lumps. Lower the heat and return the kidney and bacon to the pan to heat through.Serve on toast and enjoy!

lythande1, Jul 4, 4:29am
That's silly. If you don't like them, then don't eat them.
I make steak and kidney. or

450g lambs' kidneys, skinned, cored and sliced
10g butter
1 large onion, sliced
3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
400g can of chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp dry white wine

Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Heat the butter in a large frying pan until melted, then add the sliced kidneys. Fry them over a moderate heat until they are browned and the juices run. Remove the kidneys from the pan and keep to one side. Next gently fry the bacon and onion in the same pan until the onion is golden. Add the tomatoes and wine and heat gently for about 15 minutes. Now stir in the kidneys and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.

And no way would I ever let them remain pink. The mere idea makes me feel ill. Gross.