Why is my rice gluggy:(..lol

jussa, Sep 13, 8:04am
trying to make fried rice.
i cooked it this morning. left it in the fridge all day.
my rice was cold and my pan was hot (hot hot)
still it was gluggy..
what am i doing wrong?

juliewn, Sep 13, 8:13am
Hi.. I saw a suggestion recently to cook the rice the day before (the morning as you've done would be ok), spread out into a thin layer and cover and leave in the fridge - it'll dry out as well as be chilled, and therefore the grains will stay apart more for fried rice..

Use just a little oil or butter in the pan - so it doesn't make the rice gluggy, and I cook any other ingredients separately and cool before adding them, so any moisture from those doesn't dampen the rice..

Hope this helps..

fifie, Sep 13, 8:28am
Put rice in a sieve and run plenty of cold water through it, to wash it before cooking, this takes out the starch which makes it gluggy when cooked. I always do this and boil in very little water for about 5 minslid on, heat off and let it sit to steam and the leftover water evaporates, fluffing occasionally with a fork. Perfect seperated rice grains every time to toss in the wok for fried rice...

stan202, Sep 13, 8:32am
to much water cut it out by half

kcak, Sep 14, 2:52am
Are you using the right rice? Basmati will always be a bit gluggy and doesn't separate. I use an Uncle Bens long grain rice if I'm doing fried rice. I quite often just cook it in the microwave (2c water - 1c rice), then spread it out on a plate and leave to cool for a while before frying it.

sandhu, Sep 14, 2:58am
Try this rice its great "Real Rice Par-Boiled Rice its never gluggy..For a 2kg of this rice is cheap as like $3.99

cookessentials, Sep 14, 2:59am
My post in the "Rice" thread

Basmati rice usually does not go sticky. Rinse your rice well first, get the water boiling before you add rice. A drizzle of olive oil on the top of the water. Rinsing the rice, not only gets any impurities off it, but also washes away some of the starch. You wash it until the water runs clear. You may also be using too much water to cook it in.
INSTRUCTIONS:
Wash 1 cup of rice in a sieve until the water runs clear. Place in a saucepan with 2 cups water and a generous pinch of salt. Cover with a tight fitting lid and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed – about 12-15 minutes. To check the water level, use a spoon to pull back the rice. It is important not to stir the rice or it will become sticky. Once rice is cooked remove from the heat, and leave to steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve. If using brown rice add an extra 1/2 cup of water and allow for 10-15 minutes extra cooking time.

Quotecookessentials (1089 )2:10 pm, Tue 7 Sep #16

jill_b, May 21, 8:53am
I rinse before and exactly measure the water to rice, and it sticks to the saucepan, and is hard in centre and gluggy??? I don't want to put it in the fridge I want to eat it hot.