Recipes for baking using oil instead of butter plz

lizab, Sep 12, 10:08pm
The horrendous price of $4.39 for a 500g pack of 'budget butter' is seriously making me rethink my use of it in baking!!!!! I have a lovely recipe for a lemon yogurt cake that uses grapeseed oil and wondered if anyone else had any other recipes using oil instead of butter please?
Many thanks :)

winnie231, Sep 12, 10:16pm
Hummingbird cake, carrot cake, chocolate cake, Pam's pumpkin loaves, ...
You will find recipes for all of these by using the search function on the left of the page.
I particularly recommend the pumpkin loaves by Pam/cookessentials - very moreish!

susieq9, Sep 12, 10:34pm
You could also buy butter when on a good special and put it into the freezer.Just an idea.

bunny51, Sep 12, 10:47pm
When I am making muffins, I substitute 1/4 cup of oil for each 50 grams butter the recipe states. Always seems to work out

nauru, Sep 13, 4:10am
There's oil instead of butter in this recipe.They are great, it is a recipe from Chelsea sugar.

2/3 cup oil, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 2 cups flour, 2 teasp baking soda, 2 teasp ground cinnamon, 1 teasp ground ginger, 1/4 cup treacle, extra 1/4 cup sugar.

Preheat oven to 180C. Beat together oil, sugar,egg & treacle. Stir in sifted flour baking soda and spices. Roll spoonfuls of mixture into balls and roll in extra sugar. Place onto greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 mins. These biscuits flatten and crinkle by themselves.

Note: - We found the original recipe a little too sweet for us so I cut sugar by half next time I made it, it didn't make any difference to the appearance.I also used 3 teasp gd ginger instead of 1 and added 1/4 cup chopped crystalised ginger with flour as we like them gingery.
Also, I buy my butter when it's on special and freeze it as susieq9 stated.It helps keep the cost of baking down.

lizab, Sep 14, 11:23pm
thanks guys - much appreciated :)

calista, Mar 21, 10:53am
Alison holst's "healthy Muffins" book is full of then, It may be in your local library.