SHORT GRAIN RICE

miss-skyline, Sep 9, 8:58am
I use the medium grain for making sushi and its always turned out fine....

kay141, Sep 9, 9:16am
I saw short grain at Pak N save Lower Hutt yesterday. I think it was one of their own brands. Either Pams or Budget.

kitcheno, Sep 7, 6:40am
What can you sustitute Short grain rice with or where can you buy it?

petal1955, Sep 7, 6:49am
Medium grain rice......is available........if using to make rice pudding

245sam, Sep 7, 6:53am
kitcheno, what are you wanting to make with the short grain rice?Here in Christchurch I have seen short grain rice, under the brand name "Pam's" at both our local New World and one of our Pak 'n' Save supermarkets.:-))

bunny51, Sep 7, 9:46am
I have seen it packaged as Sushi rice by Sunrise rice (I think)

nauru, Sep 7, 10:07am
I just use medium grain rice these days.Use it in my sushi too and itworks fine.

nzmu, Sep 7, 10:14am
I have noticed that my local NW doesn't have short grain rice anymore and now stocks medium grain. I have used it with no problems, but does anyone have an explanation?

obviousas, Sep 7, 11:11pm
The short or medium grain is packed by Sun rise as calrose. In the days before sushi was popular, calrose was regarded as second grade to long grain. Nowadays, they are generally more expensive than the plain long grain.

Calrose is more starchy, hence suitable for sushi. Simply, it means more carbs. It is also ideal for making congee ( rice porridge).

They are now available at most supermarkets, P & S and Countdowns. Last month I paid $20 for two Sunrise 5 kg packs of calrose and basmati at P & S.

What are you using calrose for , KITCHENO? Substitute: new crop long grain. New rice crop is usually more starchy. But you will be difficult to get the consistency of calrose if you are thinking of making sushi. You will get away if you r making congee. Or if you are trying last Sunday's World Kitchen fried compressed rice triangles, you need to use calrose.

kitcheno, Sep 8, 7:58am
I've seen short grain rice in several recipes but was wanting to have a go at making sushi. Thanks everybody.

nauru, Mar 7, 7:14am
Just use the medium rice, it works fine in Sushi.