Henkel knife question

griffo4, Sep 8, 9:35pm
graciousgraphic l am happy with my new knives and at that price you would have to insure them and keep them in a safe, lol

griffo4, Aug 30, 10:59pm
there are knife block sets on the herald site and there are 4 star and 5 star knife sets for $499 which is the better ones and are they good value/quality TIA
l did look up the previous discussion thread about knives but no one really answered that ?
Sorry meant to read J A Henckels

cookessentials, Aug 30, 11:14pm
Four starare excellent quality and Henckels is one of the oldest knife manufacturers. They have been around since 1731.
The four star are excellent quality and are a lighter knife which is often popular with women, however, i have the 8 pce block in the four star and my husband finds them a good knife. Are they just the four star or Twin four star?I have a feeling that the 5 star are no longer available here, although, it could be the end of stocks.

cookessentials, Aug 30, 11:18pm

griffo4, Aug 30, 11:19pm
Thanks cooks
the 4 and 5 star 8 piece sets are listed and both for the same price that was why l asked
there is quite a selection of them and there is also an Professional "S" series as well with extra rivets in the handle

cookessentials, Aug 30, 11:23pm
The professional "S" are fabulous knives and as the name suggests, used by professional chefs and keen cooks. These are fully forged knives and are heavier than the four star. A fully forged knife such as the professional "S" have the blade running right through the handle which gives you added strength. if you go to the link griffo, it is part of their website which gives you all the knives and also video on different process in the manufacturing.

griffo4, Aug 30, 11:23pm
There is twin four andtwin five star
and thanks for the link will look at it later when l have time to take it all in

griffo4, Aug 30, 11:27pm
We are crossing in the post so to speak
l am now watching videos thanks

griffo4, Aug 31, 1:28am
Cooks l bought the 5 star set as it had more knives and a sharpener that l wanted so looking forward to them arriving
Thanks for your advice and l will hunt out that link on how to sharpen knives properly
l remember you posting it and never went and looked at the time so will do that later

cookessentials, Aug 31, 1:43am
You wont regret having good quality knives griffo. ALWAYS hand wash them, no matter what you are told. Hot soapy water and rince, hand dry and back into the block. The knife sharpening one was a Gordon Ramsay one from memory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvvxx3eGpI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKw4GC4GIo&feature=related

griffo4, Aug 31, 5:22am
Thanks cooks l always hand wash my knives but it will be nice to have some quality ones and l will check out those knife sharpening links

griffo4, Sep 3, 4:58am
Cooks they arrived today and they are really lovely knives,
thanks for your advice l brought the five star ones with 5 knives, sharpener and scissors
so really happy with them and top quality l shall treasure them and only hand wash

cookessentials, Sep 3, 6:11am
Brilliant. I have the four star Two with the scissors and steel and I dont regret buying them. I bought my 24yo son a set of three Henckel knives - s cooks knife, a slicing knife and a paring knife and he loves them too.

graciousgraphic, Sep 8, 12:14pm
If you'd like to see some really nice knives, have a look atCarbatec.co.nz and search for 'knife'. For example, there's a 240mm Gyuto for only $1393 at http://www.carbatec.com.au/suminigashi-gyuto-knife-240mm_c21186.
These are handmade, by Kazuyuki Tanaka with about 30 layers of Damascus steel. Warning: if you ever get one of these you wont want to use it - just looking at it is enough!

graciousgraphic, Sep 10, 4:30am
That's for sure!
But they are beautiful eh...a real craftsman's work.

barbs77, Mar 8, 10:08pm
I like the 4 star handle better than then the 5 star, I find them hard to hold.