OptimumKitchen Knife

johnhb, Sep 22, 4:47am
What's the best kind of affordable-quality, long-lasting kitchen knife for a general 'I'm not a chef but I want something good for chopping in the kitchen' kind of experience?

buzzy110, Sep 22, 5:13am
Best style of knife is a santoku style.

I have lots of knives but I think for a good quality, reasonably priced, easy to sharpen, non-rusting knife I'd choose the santoku style knife from the Victory range.

They are a NZ company and supply knives to butchers, fish shops and others. They have a white handle and if you go to any butcher you'll invariably see one in the butcher's knife pouch. Ask the butcher what he thinks of it.

Google Victory Knives. Their santouku style isn't a true santouku but it is close enough.

I prefer santoku blades because the blade is short enough to be used for everything excepting, maybe peeling and cutting small items (a Vitrinox will do those jobs and they are as cheap as chips), but big enough to do some of the bigger jobs.

It probably isn't big enough to cut up a pumpkin but I use my santoku for that anyway. An elderly lady of my acquaintance used to use a clean spade to do the first cut in a pumpkin. That worked well also. Others here suggest putting it in the microwave but that has never appealed to me.

blueviking, Sep 22, 7:06pm
Just buy the Stevens brand ones.Seems to do a good job. Cuts pumpkin too.

lythande1, Sep 22, 7:24pm
A decent material knife. Looked after and sharpened properly.
http://www.qualityknives.co.nz/shop/Victorinox/KitchenFilletingButchers+Knives/Polypropylene+handles.html

Cheap but a good blade.

buzzy110, Sep 24, 12:03am
Don't know if you are even still interested but take a look at this Victory site:

http://www.victoryknives.co.nz/

The very first page that opens there is a heading "Domestic Series" and there is a picture of the perfect kitchen knife. Click on the Catalogue 2017 heading. It will put the catalogue into Downloads. Open it up from Downloads.

The catalogue will give you first rate information about the types of steel used and their quality control. You will find Chef's knives on pages 54-55.

For myself I chose one on page 45. It is a 17in blade which makes it easy for most kitchen jobs because it is not too long and unwieldly. It's product number is - 2 307 17, which is a high carbon steel blade.

I have a variety of knives and in my opinion it is right up there with my Japanese-made knives which are made from Damascus steel. It cuts through things like they were soft butter. Just watch how easily they cut next time you go to a butcher shop. For what you get they are as cheap as chips. My knife cost me just $80 and it will last me a lifetime.

You'll also not be disappointed with a Vitrinox knife if you have never used a Victory knife. I cannot achieve the same level of sharpness as I can easily get with my Victory knife though.

nauru, Dec 22, 3:53pm
Mine is from Stevens too and does a good job.