Electric Knife

unknowndisorder, Jan 1, 3:00am
Did you take the guard off ;) (that is a wink btw)

Hope someone can advise you on a decent one :) Happy New Year. (Sorry for being no help, but just had that vision lol)

buzzy110, Jan 1, 5:05am
I did. I gave it to my DH who thought it might be better to cut up my homemade bread before freezing. He said it was useless but I just thought that was how they were and that everyone else who raved about their electric knife had knives that were so poor in quality and not kept sharp that they didn't know the difference.

To be quite frank I was p*#@%^d that my DH wanted an electric knife over my sharp-as knives and was secretly happy that the new electric knife turned out to be rubbish.

Note: I have no trouble slicing through my bread with an ordinary knife.

luxy, Jan 2, 6:05am
just take it back and say that it is not fit for purpose and get a refund. there is so much crap around today and we do not complain enough so just get loaded with more Chinese junk

rai5, Jan 2, 8:33am
Yes I did take the guard off. I even got hubby to see if he could use it but no he couldn't cut anything either. He thought I was joking when I said it couldn't cut the bread!
We have packed it up again in the "box it came in" put it with the POP and we will return it for a refund so we can buy one that works. The old one still works but I doubt for much longer. That's why I was hoping to find out what is a good brand.

unknowndisorder, Jan 2, 9:52am
I did look to see if Consumer had tested any, but they only tested normal knives.

I do hope someone can come up with a decent brand for you to try :)

wheelz, Jan 2, 11:13am
Had mine for many years without any problems, would probably saw thru wood. Just looked at it, it's a Tiffany.beats me where it was purchased.

porsh_a, Jan 3, 5:08am
I've always loved my Kenwood electric knife and found it so reliable and it works so well in how it cuts.Club sandwiches etc come out perfectly.I've just bought a second Kenwood one as a spare, after using our work electric knife (which is another brand) and finding it so useless.

kay141, Jan 3, 6:34am
Years ago, I discovered an electric knife was brilliant at cutting foam rubber. I have two, one for that and one for food. Now I don't use either.

lythande1, Jan 3, 6:13pm
Never found them to be particularly great. Just a bread knife that vibrates.
far better to use the correct knife for the job.
A bread knife (manual) for bread, a decent steel chefs knife for meat etc.
Vitrinox do some excellent knives that don't cost the earth.

rai5, Jan 1, 5:26am
I have a 20 year old Sunbeam that has given great service but recently smelt funny when cutting bread (homemade). Suggested to a daughter I need a new one so guess what Santa brought. Unpacked it and went to cut a loaf of bread (homemade) but not heavy. It couldn't get through the crust. Tried pressing harder but it just pressed the fresh loaf downwards. It wont cut veges, but haven't tried it on meat yet.
I am thinking of taking it back to store (Briscoes) and getting a refund for a better knife. Who has recently purchased a new electric knife! What brand was it! Does it work well. I will be lost without an electric knife to cut our bread.
I spoke with the 0800 number of Sunbeam but they could only advise that it was the latest model.