Christmas menu plans... 2010

Page 3 / 4
buzzy110, Aug 15, 4:14am
What a fantastic menu. I want to come to your place for Xmas!

toadfish, Aug 15, 4:24am
I will ask him. but to be honest for the first time ever I feel quite emotionally attached to a recipe. and if I post it. I am going to have it "Critiqued" and the next thing you know it will be XYZ'ds Christmas pudding and before long it will have belonged to Alison Holsts Great Grandmother lol.

I do know its not for the feint hearted and has suet it in.We had to convert a "gil" of brandy and then decide how small was a small wine glass lol.

As I said I will ask him.

PS we are from the South of England.so it will a south English recipe.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 4:39am
Don't post it toadfish. Keep your special recipes 'special'. I have recipes I wouldn't put on here for all the tea in China. Next thing you know it will be over in sofia's thread and being used to sell advertising. Maybe you could post it on the facebook site you all use. That way it will be safe from sofia.

nauru, Aug 15, 4:48am
Thanks Toadfish, I undersatnd.I am from the north of England, the pudding recipe I usually use is also English, except I now use butter instead of suet.
I remember gills too, used to get milk in bottles that size when I was small.

toadfish, Aug 15, 4:54am
What did the change from Suet to Butter do!It is at the moment really really dense and stodgy.I will tell Dad about your change. just had another flashback. think is has soft breadcrumbs in it.Its funny really, my Dad never ever cooks. but once a year he does this ritual. Its boiled for quite a few hours the first time and then reboiled a second time on christmas day.

davidt4, Aug 15, 4:59am
If it is an old recipe the suet used would have been freshly grated suet straight from the kidney fat, with no additives.If you are using Shreddo be aware that it is quite different - it has flour (rice flour I think) addded to keep it from clumping, plus preservatives.This may be why you are getting a heavy result.

toadfish, Aug 15, 5:06am
Not sure what he is using. just know I really really like it it and christmas wouldn't be christmas without it now. The recipe was uncovered about 20 yrs ago.(But I am more of a dense cake person. really dislike light fluffy sponges)

charlieb2, Aug 15, 5:11am
All fluff and no substance, huh! Toadie!

nauru, Aug 15, 5:12am
I think the butter maybe makes it a bit lighter, I also use fresh breadcrumbs and grated carrot.
Yes, I remember my Mum & Aunt boiling their Christmas puddings for hours on end and then reboiling again on Christmas morning.When I first started making them, I used to cook mine in my pressure cooker but now do it my crockpot on high for 6-8 hours. It comes out very rich and dark.

martine5, Aug 15, 6:23am
Toadfish if you want an easy hollandaise recipe and haven't made it before I can give you one but for the record I prefer hollandaise made the "traditional" way which isn't as straight forward as thecheats way.Which is put 4egg yolks, one tablespoon of vinegar, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and a little salt and white pepper in a food processor and whizz.Melt 3/4 quarters of a block of butter in the microwave and make sure it is so hot its boiling.Turn the processor back on and drizzle the boiling butter into the yolk mix.It should make heaps for six people.Make it just before you need it and keep it warm until serving- too hot and it will split and too cold and it will set.

timetable, Aug 15, 6:25am
hey hi everyone.so pleased to see such wonderful postings on here!I am a self confessed christmas junkie so if anyone is interested just pop into the "christmas countdown" thread in general.we have been doing countdown, new world and warehouse christmas club this year and will try and get as much as possible in the store cupboard before gst goes up.all our presents are done bar the last layby and england ones are ready for posting.will finish off our menu during the schoool holidays with miss 19 but have the food hamper lists all done.going to swap things around this year and have christmas tea instead of lunch - less rush and its a nice arvo then to just potter and open presents after church.we also do antipasta christmas eve with lots of nibble things and lol just graze the night away.blessings all and all the best with the christmas planning!

timetable, Aug 15, 6:30am
my christmas pud recipe has: sultana's, rasins, peel, grated carrot, melted butter, fresh breadcrumbs, chopped almonds, chopped prunes, chopped glace cherries, mixed spice, cinnamon, milk, currants.usually get 2 good sized puds and boil for about 5 hours.they frezze well and lol i already have 2 down in the frezzer.

timetable, Aug 15, 6:31am
martine - that sounds sooooooooooooooooooooo good!

kyle0703, Aug 15, 6:54am
buzzy110 wrote:
What a fantastic menu. I want to come to your place for Xmas![/quote
]

Aw thanks I'm very excited

timetable, Aug 15, 7:03am
kyle - good on you!its brill to be able to splurg at christmas time with all the food we would not normally have through the year.your menu sounds devine!

uli, Dec 21, 8:36am
and now bump for 2012 :)

uli, Dec 21, 11:59pm
bump for 2011

rayoz, Dec 22, 12:48am
There is a wonderful and delicious steam pudding that cooks in the crock pot for three hours, no fuss no messing it's just so yummy and tastes like those great plum duffs in muslin from years afo, it's a recipe from Helen Robertson's called caramel crock pot christmas pudding and it serves 12 Merry Christmas

lythande1, Dec 22, 2:15am
Xmas tomorrow for us as grandaughter returns xmas eve.
BBQ, plum and soya Chicken nibbles,
BBQed sausies (read wood BBQ
Home made pate and bread crisps
Salmon, lettuce and cucumber pinwheel sandwiches
Chocolates
Cherries
Strawberries from the garden

And the beach - weather holding that is.

No meal as such, just snack when wanted.

uli, Dec 22, 7:39am
And what would the recipe be then!

samiamnz, Dec 22, 9:42am
Our day will be.
Breakfast french toast, bacon, and banana

Late lunch early dinner
Glazed Ham (Me)
Roast Turkey and stuffing (My Mum)
Side of hot smoked salmon ( Mother-in-law)
Roast vege salad (sister)
Fresh beans warm with a lemon vinegarette
Possibly watermelon, feta, and mint salad
Perla spuds with garlic herb salt and butter
Some nice bread, chutney, and pickles

Dessert
Cheeseboard
Pav
Trifle (maybe a tiramisu!)
Tinned fruit, jelly, ice-cream (kids fav!)
Plum pudding and custard

Nibbles of nuts, chippies, mince pies

Wow! Now I need to get sorted to do it!

nauru, Dec 21, 10:03am
I googled the recipe rayoz.Is it a light coloured pudding when cooked, just going by the picture of it!

guest, Jan 11, 7:26am
Filanly! This is just what I was looking for.

guest, Jan 11, 8:18am
Wow! Great to find a post with such a clear meesgas!

guest, Jan 11, 11:59am
Posts like this breghtin up my day. Thanks for taking the time.