Christmas menu plans... 2010

Page 2 / 4
nauru, Aug 15, 5:12am
I think the butter maybe makes it a bit lighter, I also use fresh breadcrumbs and grated carrot.
Yes, I remember my Mum & Aunt boiling their Christmas puddings for hours on end and then reboiling again on Christmas morning. When I first started making them, I used to cook mine in my pressure cooker but now do it my crockpot on high for 6-8 hours. It comes out very rich and dark.

martine5, Aug 15, 6:23am
Toadfish if you want an easy hollandaise recipe and haven't made it before I can give you one but for the record I prefer hollandaise made the "traditional" way which isn't as straight forward as thecheats way. Which is put 4egg yolks, one tablespoon of vinegar, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and a little salt and white pepper in a food processor and whizz. Melt 3/4 quarters of a block of butter in the microwave and make sure it is so hot its boiling. Turn the processor back on and drizzle the boiling butter into the yolk mix. It should make heaps for six people. Make it just before you need it and keep it warm until serving- too hot and it will split and too cold and it will set.

timetable, Aug 15, 6:25am
hey hi everyone... so pleased to see such wonderful postings on here! ! I am a self confessed christmas junkie so if anyone is interested just pop into the "christmas countdown" thread in general... . we have been doing countdown, new world and warehouse christmas club this year and will try and get as much as possible in the store cupboard before gst goes up... all our presents are done bar the last layby and england ones are ready for posting... will finish off our menu during the schoool holidays with miss 19 but have the food hamper lists all done. . going to swap things around this year and have christmas tea instead of lunch - less rush and its a nice arvo then to just potter and open presents after church. . we also do antipasta christmas eve with lots of nibble things and lol just graze the night away... . blessings all and all the best with the christmas planning! !

timetable, Aug 15, 6:30am
my christmas pud recipe has: sultana's, rasins, peel, grated carrot, melted butter, fresh breadcrumbs, chopped almonds, chopped prunes, chopped glace cherries, mixed spice, cinnamon, milk, currants. usually get 2 good sized puds and boil for about 5 hours... ... ... . . they frezze well and lol i already have 2 down in the frezzer... .

timetable, Aug 15, 6:31am
martine - that sounds sooooooooooooooooooooo good! ! ! !

kyle0703, Aug 15, 6:54am
buzzy110 wrote:
What a fantastic menu. I want to come to your place for Xmas? [/quote
]

Aw thanks I'm very excited

timetable, Aug 15, 7:03am
kyle - good on you! ! its brill to be able to splurg at christmas time with all the food we would not normally have through the year... . your menu sounds devine! !

samiamnz, Dec 22, 9:42am
Our day will be..
Breakfast french toast, bacon, and banana

Late lunch early dinner
Glazed Ham (Me)
Roast Turkey and stuffing (My Mum)
Side of hot smoked salmon ( Mother-in-law)
Roast vege salad (sister)
Fresh beans warm with a lemon vinegarette
Possibly watermelon, feta, and mint salad
Perla spuds with garlic herb salt and butter
Some nice bread, chutney, and pickles

Dessert
Cheeseboard
Pav
Trifle (maybe a tiramisu!)
Tinned fruit, jelly, ice-cream (kids fav!)
Plum pudding and custard

Nibbles of nuts, chippies, mince pies

Wow! Now I need to get sorted to do it!

timetable, Aug 14, 9:11am
so anyway gettin organised or am i the only sad puppy doing this lol.happy planning everyone!

toadfish, Aug 14, 9:21am
I have been doing $50 month into my Pak'n'save Christmas club. been doing it since Feb (automatic payments so no need to remember).will have a tidy sum to stock up over Christmas. But thanks for reminding me. August is a really good time to start buying presents. Might even make me a list and try and get one a week or so. Save last minute rush.

kyle0703, Aug 14, 7:12pm
I have my menu and even shopping list all sorted. Have been paying $15 a week into Pak n Save Christmas club. This is my first year hosting Christmas and having 9 people for lunch.
Breakfast - Champagne, eggs benedict, pancakes and fruit
Lunch - Roast Chicken, Ham on the bone, Crayfish, new potatoes, peas, roast carrots, pumpkin and potaotes, asparagus wrapped in proscuitto, green salad, potato salad, rice salad and coleslaw.
Desert - Pav, Choc mouse, Tiramisu, berries and cream, fruit salald
Dinner - Leftover salads plus Steak, Sausages and Scallops

toadfish, Aug 14, 7:52pm
Wow. thats alot of food. We seem to have 2 meals on "The day"The morning I do breakky & we open presents. Last year it was a "Kiwi" the works BBQ to please my Kiwi husband.Then we have something light or even a piece of christmas Cake midday.Then off to my parents for a traditional English Christmas Dinner (I am English and I have had this every year bar about 3 when I was travelling since I have been born). Turkey, ham, chipolatas, the most devine stuffing balls wrapped in Bacon, fresh seasonal veg. usually carrots & Brocolli (In England we had fresh bruseel sprouts. but Mum tried the frozen ones when we arrived and they were horrible so Sprouts got dropped), Roasted Potatoes and Kumera (the kiwi invasion) and boiled new potatoes. topped with gravy made from the turkey giblets. love it.Then for dessert we have mince pies, brandy butter , Ice cream (another Kiwi Invasion) &a Christmas pudding that my Dad makes in October from a recipe we found that was his Grandmothers.My Dad is in his 70's so the recipe is really old. and amazing. Every year he says. do wyou want me to make the pudding! and I go. YES it's christmas.He has made it every year since we found the recipe in an old stamp album.

toadfish, Aug 14, 7:59pm
You have me thinking though. might try and change my breakfast this year. We had had croissants, meusli and a fruit platter before. but I get so annoyed at the fruit prices going up days before christmas I stopped that.

Thinking maybe Eggs Benedict. will have to practice though. have never made hollandaise in my life. do you have a good recipe! and if you do can you give me an indication of how many it serves. There are 6 of us.Being an immigrant (Even though we have been here over 30 years) means we don't have extended family over here. so christmas is a quiet affair.

Now boxing day thats a whole different matter, we have what we affectionally call a "Stragglers BBQ" and started to fulfill a "Kiwi" Christmas for hubby. This is all the neighbours, friends and anyone really who doesn't have somewhere else to be.

kyle0703, Aug 14, 8:17pm
I know it's alot of food. There will be way to much but there always is whenever I cook I hate the thought of there not being enough.
For the hollandaise no I have never made it before, will search for recipes(or cheat and buy it)

indy95, Aug 14, 8:19pm
Toadfish and kyle0703, I have bumped up a thread about Eggs Benedict so you can practise making Hollandaise in plenty of time for Christmas. Davidt4's recipe is so easy and straightforward even I can do it !

bedazzledjewels, Aug 14, 8:44pm
I'm sure Davidt4 and the Low Carb cooking website will be in full swing for Christmas recipes! Eggs Benedict might be part of my Christmas plans this year too.

toadfish, Aug 14, 9:16pm
How will you poach for mulitple dazz!. I make the perfect egg in the microwave (for 1) but will need to do 12 eggs in total. They need to be perferctly formed. not all over the place.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 14, 9:42pm
Yes - poaching isn't my forte Toady!
Let's wait for suggestions. Looks like you and me will be doing lots of practice!
I've got one of those egg poachers that turn out uniformly perfect round eggs, and frankly, by the time the dish is created, no-one's going to know how they were poached!

dbab, Aug 14, 9:56pm
Apparently you poach the eggs until they are almost done and place them in cold water. When ready to serve, you place them in boiling water for a short time. i've never done it, but have read about it.

lythande1, Aug 14, 10:03pm
It's silly. Masses of food no-one wants to eat.
All we ever do is one light meal and concentrate on the main point - pressies for the little ones and some pleasant chat with the little ones parents and then they all leave so we can all do our own thing.

nauru, Aug 15, 2:44am
Toadfish, I'm interested in the old recipe.Would your Dad be willing to share your Grt Grandmother's recipe or is it a family secret!.

motorbo, Aug 15, 2:55am
leaves it till the last minute, as the family usually want the same thing every year! and its only the lunchtime meal, breakfast is get ya own, then lunch and pudding well we are usually so full we have it for dinner!

natalie9, Aug 15, 3:25am
I find making eggs benedict for more than a couple of people is easiest done with scrambled eggs, so easy in the microwave too. And smoked salmon or bacon. mmm

uli, Aug 15, 3:26am
I haven't got microwave and never poach anything either LOL - I simply soft boil the eggs, rest in cold water and peel - simple, easy and you can do 300 in one go if need be - while your other half shells the eggs you can concentrate on the hollandaise . cause why waste lovely organic free range eggs to a carton of shop bought chemicals!

uli, Aug 15, 3:27am
Scrambled benedicts! Hmmm never knew they existed - must be your own creation!
How do you make the hollandaise!