Menu ideas

marie74, Sep 26, 9:33am
I am looking at some good reliable, ideas for a buffett dinner for 100 people that we are catering for as a fundraiser.Facilities are limited so need to consider what can be done prior.Happy to attempt most things.I have in mind a mix of hot and cold dishes. Ham on the bone is a must apparently, but should we have two or three other meat dishes. Making a seafood mornay as well. Also vege suggestions of course we will only have domestic ovens so limited for keeping things hot as well as for cooking.Any ideas greatfully accepted.

alebix, Sep 26, 10:12am
scalloped potatoes
brocolli and cauli in cheese sauce

glazed carrots
sliced beans
peas and corn
roast potatoes

Roast beef
corned silverside

duckmoon, Sep 26, 10:45am
I would make an inventory of all the small applicance you have assess too ( from your kitchen and every one else you know).

If you can get five crockpots, then you can put cassoroles into them.

Also, I would be planning to borrow rice cookers - again, i find rice difficult to cook in a saucepan in large quantities - but easy in the rice cooker.

Also, is this a neighbourhood group? I would be asking 5 people to make roast veges for 20 in their ovens - and either deliver it hot to your venue... Or to be made into roast vege salads.

duckmoon, Sep 26, 10:45am
How much are you charging at head?Which will determine what kind of food.I don't want mac-cheese if paying $40 for dinner??!!!

duckmoon, Sep 26, 10:46am
I love a butterflied leg of lamb cooked on the BBQ - another way of increasing your cooking equipment - while sit cooking on site.

duckmoon, Sep 26, 10:48am
My first suggestion for a menu:
* Beef Stroganoff - rice with rice
* Ham Off the Bone (get some one who knows what they are doing to carve and serve - otherwise you will have slices an inch thick and people will serve themselves three) - it is a good way to moderate serving size.
* butterflied legs of lamb - carved.
* something for the vegetarians (perhaps a spinach and pine nut canneloni)/

* green salad
* roast veg salads
* baby new potatoes
* green beans
* baby carrots

and dessets...

vintagekitty, Sep 26, 3:17pm
What about getting in a spit roast company, and have roasted lamb or pork?

marie74, Sep 27, 8:09am
Thank you for your ideas so far. Similar really to what I invisage, tho have not thought of doing the butterfly lamb. they are paying $25 per head and of course we have to do the hiring of crockery cutlery etc out of that so working on about $20 per head for food.So far.
Ham on the Bone,
Beef Stog,With rice
Cold Chicken
Seafood Mornay
marinated Mussells
HOney Glazed carrots
Baby green beans with onion & bacon tossed
Gourmet Potatoes with parsley butter
Kumera & Orange Salad
Pasta Salad
Tossed Green Salad

Pavalova
Fruit Salad
Cream Puffs & Choc Eclairs.

Very basic but I believe a reasonable variety to suit all.
Just wondered if this should be added too.

duckmoon, Sep 27, 9:58am
1. If this is a fundraiser, how much money are you planning to earn??? Seems a lot of work - $20 per head isn't going to leave you much profit.

2. a comment about menus - the more choices you give people, the more they will eat - because most people will try most things...
So the fewer choices (without being mean), the less they will eat...

3. Also, think about how you are going to lay your table.If you start with salad and veges, their plate will be full(ish) when they get to the meats, therefore they will serve themselves less.

lizab, Apr 21, 9:54am
I've fed 140 on a very similar menu and would agree with duckmoon regarding the setting out of the buffet table. I always had people to serve the food and the meat was always at the end, with strict instructions on how much to give out!!! (I always had bread rolls and butter too and don't forget the dressings and salt and pepper!!)