Menu for school camp

holmsies, Feb 12, 8:55pm
Sometime ago I read where someone had posted an excellent website to assist with school camp menu planning. i have googled and searched and can't find anything suitable. Does anyone have any good links to school camp food ideas. Thanks.

darlingmole, Feb 12, 9:04pm
hmmmm ... have you tried the trademe cook site? Don't the correct addy for that sorry but there may be a link there. And I know for sure there are some regular posters on here who have experience with this and lots of great ideas.

holmsies, Feb 12, 9:25pm
Thanks i have the address for the trademecooks site. Was more interested in an overall weeks plan than the individual recipes, if that makes sense?

winnie231, Feb 12, 9:50pm
x2
I catered for my daughter's school trip last year & am happy to help.

There's not much help available on the net - believe me ... I searched & searched!
How many mouths to feed? What age? Where are you going & what facilities will you have? What's your budget? What food contributions will the parents/guardians be making?

holmsies, Feb 12, 11:16pm
Thanks for offering your help. I am not the organiser, nor am i going, just trying to help the person who is. Have been asked to make a big shepherds pie for the first night, so I guess it is well under control. Just thought I could make things easier for her if there was a website of ideas. Prob about 40-50 mouths to feed i guess in full camp kitchen. $130 per child and parents supply home baking for morning and afternoon teas and supper.

wahinetoa62, Feb 13, 12:18am
my sons camp was great with spag bolognaise being the most popular of meals, curried sausages on rice, fish bites and chips, chicken noodle soup and toast... .

wahinetoa62, Feb 13, 12:27am
oh of course brekkie cereal and toast with spreads and lunch salads stuff and bread to make their own sandwiches...

holmsies, Feb 13, 1:35am
Yes, I would have enjoyed all that too. Sadly my son is very difficult to feed, nothing gooey! Hence the bolognaise would be borderline, the curry a no-go and the soup a failure also. He will have to survive on bread rolls!

dbab, Feb 13, 2:19am
x1
Gosh, tell him to grow up, he's a big boy now. If he's old enough to go on a school camp, he's old enough to eat different foods. They won't have time to cater for his preferences.

rozke, Feb 13, 2:26am
large bacon and egg piejuicebread by the dozens margarine by container available at Binn Inn and Export Meat? lettuces carrots potatoes at least 3 to 4 bags/ bacon and egg pie could b for dinner the day you arrive. The Principal used to give each child the following day 4 prunesand thenastiness was cut in half lol. Just a thought

winnie231, Feb 13, 2:43am
Our kids were 11-13 yr olds.
Breakfast was cereals, tinned fruit, toast & spreads, spag or b. beans on toast.
They ate alot of fruit (apples, oranges, manderins&-
bananas) & salad type/raw veges (carrot, cucumber&pepper sticks, toms as well as mixed greens) so we made sure there was always plenty of these available at lunch & dinnertime. Fruit was available anytime.
For lunch they filled their own rolls with ham, grated cheese, mashed egg, mustard, mayo, veges, etc.
For dinner simple meats were more popular than 'in sauce' type things ... so sausages with spuds, meatballs (not in the sauce) & pasta, chicken drumsticks & rice with satay sauce, pizzas, ... all with veg & fruit as written above.
Everyone brought a tin of baking & I also sent home a list of all the food we would need for the camp so anyone who wished to help out with donations could do so.
I hope this helps a bit.

fruitluva2, Feb 13, 3:11am
The camps my sons went on were served for breakfast cereals, toasts, spag/ or baked beans or scrambled eggs.
They were always out with a packed lunch of filled rolls, fruit &yoghurt, dinner was roasts chicken & veges, rissoles & veggies, Sausages & veggies, meatloaf & vegs, burgers with desserts afterwards. They never got soup just solid meals having been out doing hard hikes or whatever activities.

duckmoon, Feb 13, 3:49am
I have a recipe book which is called "Ministry to the Interior" it is designed for people who are cooking for camps. The recipes are designed for 50 people. It also has great resources for menu planning, shopping etc.

duckmoon, Feb 13, 3:52am
One of the things to find out is what equipment you have in the kitchen.

e. g. potatoes are easy to boil, but are a pain/time consuming if you have to peel them.
or: rice is difficult to cook in a pot for 50 people, if you have access to rice cookers, then it is an easy-peeze carb to make.

magenta, Feb 13, 3:54am
That book is great. The Anzac biscuit recipe in great and make enough biscuits to feed an army. I also used the chocolate crackles recipe. We used to make meatloaf on camp. We made lots of family sized ones and wrapped in tinfoil and baked several in each oven tray. You can use for sandwiches the next day as well.

holmsies, Feb 13, 6:35am
Thanks Duckmoon I will hunt that recipe book out, might be good for the future, when I have my turn at camp. Dbab, I certainly don't expect them to cater for fussy bum children! he can deal with his own problem eating. I got a text from camp mother last year asking me to confirm that he was telling them he was a vegetarian!

duckmoon, Feb 13, 8:48am
publisher is Scripture Union (it is a christian organisation, which, amongst other things, does kids/teens camps).

duckmoon, Feb 13, 8:49am
I also have a "less is more" style of catering. The more choices you offer, the harder it is for people to choose, and the more they eat.

So, variety is OK; but not too much.

duckmoon, Feb 13, 8:50am
Lunches:
Variations on the same theme: Make your own Sandwiches or buns.
Vary the protein:
Luncheon on day, shaved ham another, american hot dogs another, boiled eggs another etc etc.

And have salad stuff, protein, fruit and a slice served for lunch.

duckmoon, Feb 13, 8:52am
Dinners:
I would design around what carbs you can easily cook.
If you can do rice, then a gentle curry (more for the colour than the heat), or a chilli con carne (again, flavour rather than heat).

Otherwise, potatoes (ask if you can have kids to peel the spuds after breakfast! ) - with meat loaf;
Mashed Potaotes with sausages or sausage cassorole.
Bolognasis one night.

duckmoon, Feb 13, 8:53am
how many nights are you cooking for? ? ?

Also, let me know your numbers, and I can post some recipes. If you also indicate what dishes your friend is interested in cooking, that would help me

guest, Feb 13, 10:12pm
I to am catering for a school camp.. 60 young people 12 adults and have some basic questions...

how much milk do you purchase per person?

I am surprised that there is no web page with some tips for helping with quantities.

I am allowing 100gms of meat per person.. does that seem right? If anyone finds some useful links that would be great!!

gm, 4 hours, 3 minutes
x1
The Tangihua lions lodge website has recipes an menus covering 5 days and is well worth looking at