Strong tomato taste in spaghetti bolognese

Page 2 / 2
gardie, Aug 12, 5:59am
Yep - any sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice will do the trick.

barbs77, Aug 12, 7:14am
Curry powder and sour cream in a Bolognese sauce? The Italians would be horrified! ! !

winnie231, Aug 12, 7:26am
You obviously didn't watch George make his version of Lasagna on Masterchef then! ! !

socram, Aug 12, 7:28am
The Italians gave us a basic - WE improved it! ! ! (We'll, we adjusted it to suit our tastes - and there is nothing wrong with that. )No one was claiming it was authentic... If we stuck to basics, there would never be any need for new cookery books or even this message board and life would be so boring.

uli, Aug 12, 7:44am
They would also be horrified about scone dough with tinned spagetti on top being called a pizza - but that is not the point LOL:)

Yes you can change a recipe to suit your taste, however if it gets too far from the original it is easier to call it something else - as spaghetti bolognese means mince, tomatoes, herbs and butter, while tomato paste, curry and sour cream is something else altogether.

This has nothing to do with being picky - but language works better when certain words are used to refer to the appropriate recipe rather than something else altogether. You wouldn't call a roast a boil-up either - or would you LOL :)

barbs77, Aug 12, 7:59am
Maybe they could call the curry/ cream cheese/ sour cream/ Worcestershire sauce/ paprika concoction "kiwi-nese"
And dont get me started on that pizza spaghetti rot that terrible woman makes before the news! My husband mutes it so I cant hear her from the kitchen!

cookessentials, Aug 12, 7:10pm
noonesgirl, the link below may be interesting for you. I was going to explain how it is made and what it is traditionally made of, however, that would have been argued, so I have given you this link instead. Potato is very good for using the heat from a chili and also sweetness, so you may find that using potato will help absorb some of the strong taste.
I used tinned tomatoes in mine as well as a concentrated paste and pancetta or bacon if you dont have pancetta, you will find pancetta gives such a wonderful flavour to this ( I also use it in my lamb shanks recipe and beef bourguignon)

http://culinariaitalia. wordpress.com/2008/06/29/ragu-alla-bo
lognese-authentic-recipe/

noonesgirl, Aug 12, 8:53pm
Morning cookesentials. Thanks for the link. Will check it out tonight. Off to work. Have a good day.

kirinesha, Aug 12, 8:59pm
I have always made my bolognaise sauce that way when doing it properly. My understanding is that the vegetables are an important and traditional part of the recipe.

davidt4, Aug 12, 9:10pm
Yes, that looks like a good authentic recipe. It's a pity that the illustration is a little misleading - in Italy the sauce for any pasta dish is always thoroughly amalgamated with the pasta, not left sitting on top of it like that.

uli, Aug 12, 10:52pm
In fact - the pasta is cooked to just a bit less than "al dente" and then the sauce is mixed up with the pasta - and until everybody is seated and served - the sauce has "finished cooking the pasta" (as I was told by the Italians that taught me how to cook) - and then the pasta is just right - and the sauce is not on top of the pasta - but seeped a bit into it. Absolutely wonderful!

cookessentials, Aug 12, 11:11pm
and not a fresh tomatoor herb in sight.

uli, Jan 20, 10:49am
You know just as well as me that this recipe was made in Bologna the first time - hence the name - if you go throughout Italy then every region has its own version of it. They all have the above ingrdients, but some will add basil, some thyme, and most will never use fresh tomatoes but passata di pomodoro. Which the good Italian housewife will still make herself - here is a recipe if you are keen: http://www.mangiarebene.com/ricette/conserve/salse-conserve-
passate/passata-di-pomodoro_IDa_721.htm - but more often than not it will be bought in a tin or tetrapak - just like in good old NZ LOL :)