Sunday Ode to the Recipes MB

Page 3 / 4
hezwez, Feb 21, 9:47pm
Don't the cauldron stirrers have a sense of humour?

cookessentials, Feb 21, 10:07pm
Hey buzzy, I dont read anything into anything. I just enjoyed it that's all. I dont trawl through threads looking to see who has had go at someone else either-just came across it that's all.
and post #52 is quite right- those who dish it out never seem to be able to take it in my opinion. Best I be careful about what I say though, in case it is misconstrued as "abuse" there is a favourite saying I live by "Perception is sometimes stronger than the truth"quite true really. Lets hope you all have a fabulous day, it is gorgeous here in Masterton. Not a cloud in the sky and lovely and sunny and too nicer day to get into a heated discussion methinks. Cheers everyone.

kaddiew, Feb 21, 10:25pm
Crikey!

hezwez, Feb 21, 10:27pm
MUST be a cult then ~ lol

darlingmole, Feb 21, 10:29pm
takes a peek in ... I see no-one has added to the "poem" collection (think my ditty is even better than I originally thought haha! )

hezwez, Feb 21, 10:37pm
There was an old crock from the Naki
Trawled the boards for the good and the wacky
She fell in to the foodies
Found baddies and goodies
But much more sincere stuff than tacky.

buzzy110, Feb 21, 10:43pm
Cooks. I quote. "It seems that each time certain posters come on here and love to be nasty that the same old people come here and rush to their defense... ". Seems you do notice.

cookessentials, Feb 21, 10:43pm
as quoted "We also do not complain, at all, about your constant self-promotion in these threads. . We never remark when you rubbish a manufacturer's goods if you don't sell it. Nor do we run to the TM Moderator"

Thanks for your opinion there buzzy. I do not constantly self promote- I just try to help people. I also dont "rubbish" other manufacturers whos products I dont sell either - being in the industry, you actually do get to know what is a good product and which is not and if someone askes for opinions, why is it such a problem for me to comment? As for running to the moderator LOL... . it happens all the time as does this kind of rubbish when someone criticises some of the regulars that love to belittle people and someone like me stands up to them. Oh well, cant please everyone.

HEZWEZ... ... ... ... . . love it, thanks for the chuckle

buzzy110, Feb 21, 10:49pm
I have a brilliant sense of humour. But please point out to me what part of that thinly concealed set of jibes and jeers is funny and I'll laugh heartily.

There is a world of difference between poking the borax at, say sweetened condensed milk, and a thinly veiled attack on other posters, using jeers, jibes and taunts as well as name calling.

nzhel, Feb 21, 11:27pm
Well cookessentials - I like what you have to say - you are always helpful to other members with their queries and I for one appreciate the time you take posting recipes and ideas. Keep up the good work! !

darlingmole, Feb 22, 12:54am
Awwww ~ you're good~! Big Kia Ora to you
I found it hard to find anything that rhymed with Paremoremo haha! )

hezwez, Feb 22, 1:19am
nah, I think I scrape in to 3rd place, that Paremoremo was a huge handicap and yours was brilliant.

elliehen, Feb 22, 1:28am
Well done to both brave posters! (Paremoremo is a really tough one to find a rhyme for... )

Contrary to buzzy110's bizarre paranoia about being burnt at the stake as a result of my 'ode', she was not even remotely in my consciousness. I'd just listed a very old New Zealand 1929 cookbook which had the following verse in it and after a quick look at some recent MB topics, tried my hand at a bit of cooking-related rhyme. It is very common in old New Zealand cookbooks; Aunt Daisy loved little verses and you'll find 'poems' on preserving husbands, among others.

Here's the one that started it all, straight from the book - 1929!

A 'poem' in an advertisement for Anchovette Fish Paste:

"When the guest unexpected comes, if he
Looks a hungry and ravenous stiffy,
There's no need to brood
About having no food -
'Anchovette' makes a snack in a jiffy! "

I think we need more verse-or-worse on the Recipes MB. All poets AND poetasters welcome!

hezwez, Feb 22, 1:35am
Clearly some words have altered meanings since 1929, elliehen

cookessentials, Feb 22, 2:04am
Thanks nzhel. I am a little confused though, cos not quite sure what my "self promotion" or my criticism of different types of cookware actually has to do with the discussion in regards to ellies originnal post, but there you go!

darlingmole, Feb 22, 2:04am
oh my gosh you're right hezwez ... the word "stiffy" conjures up quite a different picture these days eh? ! And still think you're lymerick/poem was great (if we ever move I hope it's to somewhere that's more, umm, rhymey shall we say haha! )

darlingmole, Feb 22, 2:08am
hey cookessentials, could I ask your opinion please? I bought (naturally off TM) a perserving pot, a big thing, and it's made from aluminium. I find it takes AGES to heat up ~ is this normal?

cookessentials, Feb 22, 2:47am
Hi DM, of course you can. Aluminium is a great conductor of heat, so I am surprised. I take it you are sure it is aluminium? if you are going to do acidy fruit or vege in it, it could be a problem If it is stainless without an encapsulated base it may take longer to heat. Most of the newer maslin pans ( jam pans) have a good thick encapsulated base for good, even heating which helps to stop your jam boiling over and catching on the bottom of the pan and burning.

darlingmole, Feb 22, 2:54am
Thanks cookie ... hmmm I'm sure it's made of aluminium but it takes so flippin long to bring to the boil, that's why I had to ask, you know seeing as you sell cookware. Even water takes forever to bring to the boil in it!
Think I'll invest in a different pot next summer so thanks for your advice

cookessentials, Feb 22, 2:58am
Have you checked your element? it MAY be the heat source? ?

snapit, Feb 22, 3:14am
Something else to think about. Remember you are trying to boil a larger amount than the 'normal saucepan or stock pot. The other thought, is the element smaller than the base of the pan if so you therefore have less direct heat contact.
I have 3 different sized large pots and the bases are also different sizes and the boiling times all varys and my 2 aluminum ones are also different times and base sizes. .

natalie9, Feb 22, 3:18am
Too funny.

kaddiew, Feb 22, 3:19am
OK here's my pathetic wee attempt :

Mary had a leg of lamb
That she didn't know how to cook.
She looked through all her recipe books
And saw how long it took.
There wasn't time; she was going out
So she threw the dog the lamb.
Then came back home and opened up
A lovely can of Spam.

cookessentials, Feb 22, 3:28am
I love it... . such clever wordsmiths here LOL

elliehen, Feb 22, 4:51am
kaddiew, well done!

And a disclaimer for those very few posters who, with grandiose self-importance, thought it was all about them:

NO COOKS OR POSTERS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THESE VERSES.