Pastry help please~!

Page 1 / 2
darlingmole, Aug 6, 8:50pm
have a lovely recipe care of cookessentials for pastry. (1 C flour, 1 egg yolk, lemon juice and 100 g butter). I knead this, then refridgerate for 1/2 an hour, roll it out and put in my quiche tin ... the type where the bottom comes out. The problem is everytime I cook it the contents come out the bottom of the quiche all over my oven!
What am I doing wrong here. All ideas greatly appreciated

winnie231, Aug 6, 8:53pm
Could you line it first dm?
I avoid removable bases when making anything with a wet filling for the same reason you've just described ...

darlingmole, Aug 6, 9:00pm
hmmm ... winnie I always find that the pastry doesn't crisp up the same if I use my pottery/ceramic dish. But as I HATE cleaning my oven I'll follow your advice

cookessentials, Aug 6, 9:41pm
There is a great tin around called a high wall crispy tart tin. It has holes in the removable base which helps to cook the pastry well on the bottom. I have one, however, I have not used it yet!

winnie231, Aug 6, 9:51pm
To avoid the soggy bum syndrome in a ceramic/pyrex dish - I partially blind bake my pastry first ... only for few minutes ... it makes a big difference.

ferita, Aug 6, 10:00pm
are you blind baking it?

rainrain1, Aug 6, 10:08pm
Use a different kind of quiche dish, the oven to tableware type :-)

cookessentials, Aug 12, 11:44pm
How did you get on darlingmole?

kirinesha, Aug 12, 11:48pm
Love the "soggy bum syndrome"!

buzzy110, Aug 13, 12:11am
Obviously your pastry is splitting. Removable bottoms shouldn't be a problem. I use them all the time and no need to go and buy another tin with holes in it. Cooks for hundreds of years have gotten by without such stuff. Try poking some holes with a fork in the pastry to prevent air bubbles from forming beneath your pasty, making it rise up and split and thereby allowing the unset contents of your quiche to leak out.

Personally, I'd experiment and give it 10-15mins with a baking blind at 180d before putting in the filling.

buzzy110, Aug 13, 12:14am
Also I am worried about the word 'knead'. Pastry requires a light touch. Too much kneading and you end up with a tough, inflexible dough. If that recipe doesn't come together easily without lots of 'kneading', find a better one.

cookessentials, Aug 13, 12:18am
that recipe works perfectly well buzzy110

buzzy110, Aug 13, 2:45am
OK then, maybe #1 is just over kneading rather than just mixing till it all comes together. Or conversely, she may be over filling her quiche, in which case, there will be spillage as the contents rise with the heat and fall over the top of the pan. Or, and this is something that wouldn't generally occur to me, she is not taking her pastry all the way up the sides of the baking dish and so as the pastry cooks and shrinks there is room around the side for the uncooked filling to leak out.

Who knows? The amount of information is insufficient to make a correct diagnosis of the problem.

I am just surmising from what I know and as I am not standing in her kitchen I can't say for sure. However, maybe #1 would like to try another pastry recipe just to be sure. Or maybe you'd like to explain the correct process of your recipe so that she makes it perfectly every time.

cookessentials, Aug 13, 2:46am
it has been explained already thanks

buzzy110, Aug 13, 3:34am
Not in this thread.

lulu239, Aug 13, 4:44am
Flaming Nora! !

cookessentials, Aug 13, 5:18am
for goodness sake buzzy110 the poster has the recipe, thanks. I do not need to put it here for you to rip it to shreds asa you do with everything else.

buzzy110, Aug 13, 5:41am
She wants to know what has gone wrong. I won't rip anything to shreds.

All I will say is that if you have found this recipe to work well for you, then perhaps you could share your hints and tips. I tried but as you can understand, it is not my recipe and I haven't made it so I couldn't say for sure just exactly what #1 can expect when she makes her pastry, and you do.

lost-in-oz, Aug 13, 5:59am
Don't rise to her bait.

nauru, Aug 13, 9:19am
I usually use a non stick metal dish for quiche as i find it bakes better. If I do use a ceramic dish, I brush the pastry with beaten egg to seal it then top it with baking paper and bake it blind for 10 minutes prior to adding the filling. I find that this works well, for me anyway.

darlingmole, Aug 13, 8:17pm
Thanks everyone. Well I DO knead the pastry but not heaps then roll it up in gladwrap and chill for 1/2 and hour, then I roll it out and place it in my quiche tin (the type with the removable bottom) then place the mixture in to the pastry shell. My pastry goes all the way up the tin and I don't over fill the mixture, it just seems to seep out of the pastry somehow and drip all over the oven! I will try blind baking it next time. If you have a 'better' recipe to share buzzy then feel free to post it and I'll give it a go ~ however cookessentials one is really nice

darlingmole, Aug 13, 8:20pm
and I'll do what you suggest nauru and brush the pastry with beaten egg then blind bake ... and then get back to everyone and let you know how I get on!

cookessentials, Aug 13, 9:23pm
Dm, once it is in the quiche tin, shill the shell for an hour-this is the way it should be done according to my recipe I am sure. This gives yoou a firm chilled base. I have been making this quiche for about 25 years and have never had it seep through my loose bottom quiche tin.

winnie231, Aug 14, 3:18am
I'm going to have to try your method (and pastry recipe) for myself Pam ... I have a quiche tin with removable base which I haven't used in years after a disaster the first time I cooked in it!
What a wimp I am ;)

cookessentials, Aug 14, 3:47am
You should try the salmon quiche winnie, it is lovely. The pastry is for the salmon quiche.