Custard squares?

Page 4 / 4
nzl99, Nov 17, 6:13am
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php!fbid=1619071596441&l=77def45f63

Brag post, these were some mini custard squares with passionfruit icing that I made.

greerg, Nov 19, 6:54am
I cook the pastry on oven trays, flatten each pice by pressing on it with the base of a sponge roll tin,Invert the tin on each sheet and cut round it with a sharp knife, tilting the knife inward so the pastry is a tiny bit smaller than the tin.Place one piece flaky side down in the base of the tin, add warm custard and place the other sheet on top, flaky side down,It's easier to ice the smooth side.Ice with lemon icing to cut the sweetness.The custard sets tidily inside the tin and they are easier to cut this way.

elliehen, Nov 19, 7:00am
I want one.or two.or three.I just might have to try your recipe.

nzl99, Nov 20, 3:26am
Yeah, they were freaking good!You should be able to see all my FB food albums and photos. as you click on each photo, there is usually a recipe/method underneath each one in sequence. :-)

diamond-fan, Nov 21, 1:38am
Butterscotch Caramel Custard slice is our family favourite, I have been making for 30 years and is a family recipe I remember from my childhood. A little time consuming but worth the effort.

500g packet puff pastry
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup cornflour
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/3 cup custard powder
4 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla essence
50g butter
2 egg yolks

Cut pastry into two pieces,( to fit a lamington tin). Place on oven trays bake separately in a hot oven for 5 minutes. Line a lamington tin with baking paper, place one piece of pastry on base.

Spread sugar over the base of a heavy pan, cook over a low-med heat, without stirring until melted and golden. Remove from heat add 1 cup of milk, return to the heat, stir without boiling until toffee has melted. Remove from heat again, add remaining milk.Combine the brown sugar, custard powder and cornflour in a large pan, mix well. Gradually blend in the milk mixture. Stir constantly over heat until the mixture thickens. Reduce heat slightly, boil, stirring constantly for 2 mins. Remove and quickly stir in the vanilla, butter & egg yolks.Spread hot custard over the pastry, place the other piece of pastry on top.Refrigerate overnight.

Icing : 25g butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsn milk, 3/4 cup icing sugar.

Combine butter, sugar and milk in a pot, stir until butter has melted. Beat in enough sifted icing sugar to give a thick consistency.

dimples4, Nov 21, 7:32am
Hi everyone, I am about to make custard squares tomorrow at work, haven't made them for about 10 years. First I cook my pastry in one sheet on a try, that I have pricked all over, when it starts to rise to much slide a knife in at both sides to let the air out. When pastry is cooked cut in half, use one half as the bottom and the other half as the top, you need to have the cut end that is on the bottom on one side and the one that you are using for the top with the cutside opposite, now you need to use two sheets of tinfoil, place both pieces of pastry on top of each other and make a caseing around it folding it to stop it running everywhere, you may need to stack thungs around it to stop the custard running everywhere. make your custard { I am using a special custrad mix that all I need to use is water} Pour the custard over the base and then put the top on and leave to set, when cold and set ice with white icing, enjoy cause it's yum

dimples4, Nov 21, 7:38am
This is not dimples4 that is making this custard squae It's her sister but I am sure she will be tring it to see if i have still got the nack.

winnie15, Mar 6, 5:59am
I made this for the first time this afternoonand "WOW" its lovely!and so easy!

winnie15, Mar 7, 3:59am
i put a litte bit of maple syrup into my icing and it really made a lovely taste

bev00, Mar 7, 8:23am
Custard Squares anyone.!

rosathemad, Oct 28, 7:54am
My old flattie calls them salmonella squares! ;-) I love them though, I'm Mrs Cake and it seems my custard square obsession has beaten me to this thread!

The Denheath ones definitely are different - but I love them too. :-) I made some custard squares the other day using a recipe from the Foodlovers forum, using instant pudding for the custard - I was very dubious but they were actually really good and super easy.

I always use Edmonds Butter Puff pastry - there are some photos of my process here if anyone is interested. :-) http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/10/ultimate-custard-square-hunt-fake.html

nzl99, Nov 17, 6:13am
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php!fbid=1619071596441&l=77def45f63

Brag post, these were some mini custard squares with passionfruit icing that I made.

elliehen, Nov 19, 7:00am
I want one.or two.or three.I just might have to try your recipe.

Edited to add.where IS your recipe!