Malva Pudding

marcs, Jul 18, 10:48am
I have the recipe (below) and I am a bit confused about the sauce measurments. What I am wondering is if it is 125g of butter and 125g of sugar. The recipe itself is very very nice to eat.

1 cup castor sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
1 tablespoon smooth apricot jam
1 ¼ cups cake flour
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda (5ml)
pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter (30ml)
1 tablespoon vinegar (15ml)
125ml milk

The Sauce

250ml Cream
125ml butter
125ml sugar
125ml water/Orange juice/Sherry/Brandy

Beat castor sugar and eggs until fluffy then beat in apricot jam.
Sift dry ingredients into separate bowl.
Melt butter and add vinegar and milk, then old sifted ingredients and Milk mix into egg mix one at a time.
Pour into ovenproof casserole dish that takes about 2 liters.
Bake at 190 celsius for 45 mins.
Melt all the sauce ingredients together and pour over the pudding before serving and preferably while its still hot.

Serve it with whipped cream or custard or both. Enjoy!

pickles7, Jul 18, 11:00am
I take it you have not made this recipe yourself? I wouldn't make it myself, why not make it as is first then go from there.

245sam, Jul 18, 11:14am
marcs, do you think that the butter and sugar quantities for the sauce in the recipe you posted may be ½ cup of each as ½ cup = 125ml?

Quite some time ago TM's fisher made Malva Pudding and posted that he used these quantities for the sauce:
¾ cup fresh cream
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
⅓ cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla essence

Hope that helps. :-))

fisher, Jul 18, 2:52pm
Malva Pudding:
3/4 cup sugar. . 2 large eggs. . 2-3 Tbsp apricot jam. . 1 cup all-purpose flour. . 1 tsp baking soda. . 1/2 tsp salt. . 1 Tbsp butter (a generous tablespoon). . 1 tsp white vinegar. . 1/3 cup milk. .
Preheat oven to 180c. . Beat or whip the sugar and eggs, preferably in a food processor, until thick and lemon coloured... Then, add the apricot jelly (or jam) and mix thoroughly... Sieve together the flour, soda and salt. Melt the butter (do not boil! ) and add the vinegar... Add this mixture, as well as the milk, to the egg mixture in the processor, alternately with the flour... Beat well... Pour into a greased oven-proof dish, and bake for 40 minutes...

The Sauce:. . 3/4 cup fresh cream. . 1/2 cup butter. . 3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup hot water. . 2 tsp vanilla essence. .

In a pot, melt together the ingredients for the sauce. . Remove the pudding from the oven. . Make pencil sized holes all over the cake and pour the sauce over the pudding to absorb into the cake... Return to the oven for a further 10 mins...

I seem to be using more and more apricot jam every time I make it. .

2bakerz, Jul 19, 4:06am
Now, I have actually eaten Fisher's Malva pudding... ... divine and decadent! ! ! ! I love it!

fisher, Jul 19, 4:12am
Did you... ? ? . must have spoilt you hahahaha:}

marcs, Jul 20, 2:09pm
I figure It is half cup of sugar and butter which would equal to about 125g each (give or take). I have eaten the recipe that I have posted and it is very very nice. Similar to Fisher's. I was given the recipe but got confused. I think the dry ingredients are meant to be grams.

fisher, Nov 15, 5:41pm
Above recipe was given to me by a Sth African Lady who was a chef in a restaurant over there. . Apparently it's a staple pudding served in "most" restaurants and the pencil hole trick allows the sauce to permeate the inside better/faster for quick service. . :}