Can you freeze shaved ham??

missy_j.c, Jul 14, 11:09pm
can you freeze shaved ham from the deli section of your supermarket? ? . . and if yes, then do you freeze in a container? ? thanks

ballito, Jul 14, 11:23pm
When I do my grocery shopping I do so for the fortnight which looks a dreadful sight at the checkout but it means that I don't have to go back again - believe me it can be done. I always freeze the shaved ham - I usually wrap in tightly in gladwrap but you can also do it in a freezer container.

weezil, Jul 15, 12:01am
I freeze it all the time in tupperware and when thawing it out make sure you have a paper towel under it cos there is a fair bit of liquid. .

pickles7, Jul 15, 12:40am
I wouldn't even buy it in the first place.
I saw a deli worker yesterday, halve the sliced meat out in the display putting fresh meat on top. I asked her if all workers did that how long would it take for the bottom of the pile to go off! ! ! . Even putting new sliced meat onto the old tray is not acceptable. The supermarkets are buying there cold meats sliced these days. Meat deteriorates rapidly once sliced. I used to ask for my meats to be sliced just a little thicker, that way I knew it was fresh. We are eating more canned salmon than ever these days.

horizons_, Jul 15, 12:46am
Yep, be vary wary when buying cut meats. Another tip is to ask for the top slice to be removed before yours is selected. had a bad experience in our local countdown. Watched a supervisor wipe a puddle up off the floor with a paper towel (no gloves and other hand on the floor) and then proceed to handle food without having washed her hands. The manager did not see a problem with what she had done. Rang Progressive's head office about it with a good repsonse. But geuss what. Still see similar happening. Now i don't buy anything that I can't wash. Often see the deli staff waering the same gloves for multi tasks and wiping their nose/hair and not changing their gloves. Eeeeewwww. That place must be rife with bacteria.

horizons_, Jul 15, 12:47am
Oops, sorry about the typo's above.

sue1955, Jul 15, 4:05am
I place the slices of ham (lightly rolled) & put them on a cooling rack & into the freezer. Once frozen they're put into a plastic bag & back into the freezer & I take out the quantity I want whenever I need it.

nfh1, Jul 15, 4:17am
I have frozen it in the past but it just contains so much water than as you tip the water away so goes the taste.

charolaisone, Jul 15, 4:39am
yes, I get mine from paknsave and they vacumn pack for no extra cost, I buy it in 500gm lots, great in the summer

michelle_09, Oct 29, 9:15am
My mum and dad get a huge one each from work around Christmas time.

They just cut it up into chunks, and pop them in freezer bags.

They've been doing it for yonks, works out fine, ham all year round! yay!